Caravan and Motothome Club outrageous gas prices

AlanNancy

I just went to the Caravan and Motorhome Club site in Bognor Regis to buy a 6kg Calor Gas refill £28!

I thought that this was rather expensive so I phoned Barleys Hardware Store at Middleton 6kg Calor Gas refill £23.45.

That's £4.55 less than the club!!!!!!

What a rip off.

Alan

The wardens buy the gas themselves,not the Club...so for your convenience.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

26 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

You could have walked away and gone elsewhere, but it was your choice to pay that price.

Perhaps you should have shopped around first.

That's what I did., I paid the £23.45

Alan

30 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

You could have walked away and gone elsewhere, but it was your choice to pay that price.

Perhaps you should have shopped around first.

:goodpost:

BTW I am willing to pay the Warden's charges for the goods and services they provide.

On a couple of occassions  Club site wardens have provided Calorlite cylinders when local Calor retailers in a caravan touring area were out of stock.

Edited by DeeTee
amended text

5 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

Alan

Then you weren't ripped off then!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

10 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

Alan

Did you factor in the cost of going to fetch it from elsewhere?

£23.45 is calor’s RRP for the 6kg propane refill.

So the extra charged by the Club site is either due to a delivery charge from their supplier, or a charge made by the Wardens themselves.

As already said, gas supply on sites is at the discretion of Wardens and nothing to do with the Club itself, hence why only cash is accepted when you change a bottle on site.

If you had run out of gas and everywhere was closed, you would have paid any price to get a gas bottle. anyway  the shop on site had nothing to do with CMC.

Edited by Guest

45 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Then you weren't ripped off then!

What I meant was - and I think that most people would have understood is that the price the caravan site wanted to charge is a rip off!

Alan

39 minutes ago, Flying Grandad said:

Did you factor in the cost of going to fetch it from elsewhere?

4 miles of fuel!!!!!!

Alan

I'd gladly pay £4 more just for the convenience of being on site

If the wardens then get the £4 then better still & good luck to them

38 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

£23.45 is calor’s RRP for the 6kg propane refill.

So the extra charged by the Club site is either due to a delivery charge from their supplier, or a charge made by the Wardens themselves.

As already said, gas supply on sites is at the discretion of Wardens and nothing to do with the Club itself, hence why only cash is accepted when you change a bottle on site.

I didn't realise that the gas was supplied by the wardens, in fact they said that was the price they were told to charge.

You say 'hence why it's cash only. I don't think that is correct. Any shop that I have bought gas from has only accepted cash.

Alan

3 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

What I meant was - and I think that most people would have understood is that the price the caravan site wanted to charge is a rip off!

Alan

4 miles of fuel!!!!!!

Alan

I understood exactly what you meant Alan.  Convenience is one thing, a 20% uplift in price is another- totally agree with you.

If I don't want to pay their prices then I know what the alternative is

IMO it supplements their income and saves me the inconvenience of getting into the car and going out to  get it myself.

We always have two cylinders, when one runs out we just swap to the other.  I then exchange the empty cylinder at a Calor outlet ( they have a good location website) --- No rip off prices ---- Gas is expensive enough through legitimate outlets,  I wouldn't encourage campsite charges.. 

30 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

I didn't realise that the gas was supplied by the wardens, in fact they said that was the price they were told to charge.

You say 'hence why it's cash only. I don't think that is correct. Any shop that I have bought gas from has only accepted cash.

Alan

I have never paid cash for gas.

There again a Calor Lite lasts me over 2 years, and I have 3 of them.

Edited by hp100425ev

2 hours ago, AlanNancy said:

I just went to the Caravan and Motorhome Club site in Bognor Regis to buy a 6kg Calor Gas refill £28!

I thought that this was rather expensive so I phoned Barleys Hardware Store at Middleton 6kg Calor Gas refill £23.45.

That's £4.55 less than the club!!!!!!

What a rip off.

Alan

If you are still on the site maybe you could ask where the wardens get their gas from, maybe from Barleys and then add a charge to cover their costs/time.

In summary.

The true facts do not justify the topic title. The CMC are not charging the prices asked, merely allowing site Wardens to provide the service by providing safe storage areas for the gas bottles.

Perhaps users of this valuable service should keep quiet about it. The CMC could save a great deal of money if the bottled gas storage areas were decommissioned.

Another storm in a teacup topic.:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

If you are still on the site maybe you could ask where the wardens get their gas from, maybe from Barleys and then add a charge to cover their costs/time.

Would you ask your local convenience store where they bought there sales stock from?

It is a long standing practice that Wardens are permitted by the Club to offer goods and services, at prices determined by the Wardens. The club provide the chiller and freezer cabinets and gas bottle storage areas. Some sites offer ice cream, rock pegs, EHU cables, postcards, milk etc., all of which stock  is prepaid by the Warden team.

Edited by DeeTee
added sentence

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

If I don't want to pay their prices then I know what the alternative is

IMO it supplements their income and saves me the inconvenience of getting into the car and going out to  get it myself.

I wonder if they declare the income on their tax returns?  LOL!  :D

Just a thought, but if the wardens provide the replacement gas bottle service out of the goodness of their hearts, why is gas mentioned as a ‘facility on site’ on the web and in the club handbook; who provides the secure storage enclosure for the bottles and who funds the many fresh bottles they hold, bearing in mind their high cash value and the regular changeover of wardens?  Then there’s the insurance aspect of the bulk storage of gas cylinders on club sites, the adherence to gas storage regulations and the club’s duty of care to its members to provide a safe environment.  Everything above indicates to me that it is the club who is in control, not the wardens.

In addition, many sites use bulk Calor gas for hot water and heating in the facilities, so the club will have an account, which means that they would buy fresh gas bottles at wholesale prices and so should be selling them at the usual full retail price - without a mark-up.

I called into Gibson Park Melrose for gas and the Warden had just been to Galashiels for it....I was out but when I wanted more I found that the price difference betwixt the Gala motor factor and the site was £1.20 a bottle...not worth the hassle...

DeeTee, good response,

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

2 hours ago, DeeTee said:

In summary.

The true facts do not justify the topic title. The CMC are not charging the prices asked, merely allowing site Wardens to provide the service by providing safe storage areas for the gas bottles.

Perhaps users of this valuable service should keep quiet about it. The CMC could save a great deal of money if the bottled gas storage areas were decommissioned.

Another storm in a teacup topic.:rolleyes:

Would you ask your local convenience store where they bought there sales stock from?

It is a long standing practice that Wardens are permitted by the Club to offer goods and services, at prices determined by the Wardens. The club provide the chiller and freezer cabinets and gas bottle storage areas. Some sites offer ice cream, rock pegs, EHU cables, postcards, milk etc., all of which stock  is prepaid by the Warden team.

Who are you to say 'The true facts do not justify the title?

There seem to be various opinions in this thread.

Alan

If the warden is buying these bottles on this own account he won't be paying the RLP he will be getting it trade so to charge the £5 extra he is really having a laugh.