Sign in to follow this  
LeadFarmer

Towing with TV on wall?

About to buy a Vision Plus TV bracket to mount my TV to the caravan wall. It has quick release for easy removal of the TV when towing etc.

But does anyone here tow with their TV still mounted in their caravan? I would have thought the vibrations would loosen the bracket etc?

No, specifically got the bracket that slides it off, it the weight and pendulum effect on whatever it was fixed to I would be worries about.

I have an Avtex TV on a similar bracket, I always take it off and put it in its case when traveling (my dealer told me they had repaired many caravans where the owner had not)

Yes but the articulated bracket locks to the wall when folded in for travel so that the TV is rigid.

• +1 2

I’ve travelled with my TV on it’s bracket for about 9 years now, and not had a problem. I always clamp the bracket into its terry clip and also tighten the thumb screws.

John

• Like 1

We have a Bailey Unicorn 3 Valencia.  When we bought it in 2015, I noted the sticker on the TV bracket that said to remove it when travelling and asked the dealer about this.  They said in their experience it would not be necessary - they compared it to brackets fitted to many motorhomes that they sold and said the Unicorn brackets were stronger, and they had not seen any of the weaker motorhome brackets fail.

Anyway, I took their advice, fitted my TV to the bracket, have never taken it off, and have had no problems.  We have travelled all over the UK and Europe, crossed the Alps several times, been on many really bumpy roads, TV is still there.  I would say that our bracket folds in to  a recess above the bed, and there is a locking tab to stop it sliding about .  Other types of bracket and fitting might be at greater risk of movement.

I suppose it depends on the position of the tv and bracket in your caravan.  Despite having balanced wheels over time I’ve collected many screws shaken out of fixtures, like the oven surround.  It’s clear there is a degree of vibration and movement within the caravan that would not give me confidence to suspend an expensive and heavyish item on a rigid bracket.

With my arm, it takes only a moment to slide the bracket (still attached to the tv) out of the wall receiver and lay it flat on a soft surface.

Maybe I am being over cautious.

• +1 1

A lot depends on the size & weight of the TV and the strength of what the bracket is affixed to.

Like almost everything in life it’s down to personal opinion/choice.

For my part, when I owned a motorhome, the TV remained in its bracket all the time, however  the bracket was fixed to something substantial. Working on the fact that no TV bracket is provided by the manufacturer, and I have not been able to identify anything I think is strong enough to support the bracket and (14”) TV, it sits on a shelf when we wish to view it.  

When not in use our TV lives in an old pillowcase and is carried underneath the duvet on the bed. It takes seconds to install and remove it.

I’m happy with that arrangement, if others choose to do differently that’s entirely their choice. 

In the scale of things it is not something I consider to be very important one way or the other.

Andy

I keep our TV on the bracket when towing to be fair it is only been 3.5 years and we have never been further than Spain.   However the bracket did cost more than the TV.  

Im planning to get the Vision Plus short arm bracket, which will be fixed to the side of the wardrobe next the caravan door, with the TV facing into the living area., and will try and re-enforce the fixing area with some plywood on the other side of the wall for added strength.

I'd love to be able to leave the TV fixed as one less job to do, but I don't think I want to risk it. Im less bothered about the TV, and more bothered about the bracket ripping from the wall causing damage to the caravan, or the damage to the caravan from the TV falling off and hitting surfaces.

41HzwKbxzPL.jpg

Edited by LeadFarmer

Our TV remains fixed to the bracket, but we do have a clamp on the bracket to stop it swinging out.

Ours will come off, not used the TV on its bracket yet.

Anything putting unnecessary stress on any part of a caravan is a bad thing in my book.

• Thanks 1

My TV is fitted with a quick-release VisionPlus bracket and It takes seconds to install or remove it.

Plenty of people seem to get away towing with the TV  in situ and good luck to them but I don't want  the risk of it falling off the wall or tearing a chunk out of the bulkhead.

As in all things, its entirely a matter of choice

• +1 1

I wanted to fit a TV bracket to my Sprite to keep the ledge by the TV point clear; other Swift vans with the same layout come with a bracket pre-mounted in the same position. However, there is nothing on the other side of the wall (inside a wardrobe) to screw into. Not wanting to put holes in my caravan I have decided to just keep the TV on it's stand (which handily sits at the perfect viewing height) and have fashioned a protective bag out of some thick bubble-wrap. Currently the TV travels in the car, behind the drivers seat where it cannot flail around. 

Edited by Custard Avenger

My caravan had an Avtex as standard but wasn't there when we collected,used, why?

It had been on the Frame ,on the road, and had come off.......so personally never tried it with my own Avtex.

Geoff

41 minutes ago, Custard Avenger said:

I wanted to fit a TV bracket to my Sprite to keep the ledge by the TV point clear; other Swift vans with the same layout come with a bracket pre-mounted in the same position. However, there is nothing on the other side of the wall (inside a wardrobe) to screw into.

Thats the exact same place as I am wanting to place my TV, but as you say, nothing to screw into on the other side of the wardrobe wall. I was intending to glue some timber to the inside of the wardrobe to solve the problem, but drilling holes into a brand new caravan takes some nerves.

Maybe I will bottle it, lose my nerve and just keep the TV on its stand, and sitting on the ledge.

This isn't my van, just a random google image, but I'm wanting my TV mounted on the wall where the TV is in this image..

INT-Challenger-580-rear-interior-SWIFT.jpg

Edited by LeadFarmer

My 'van (Swift Elegance) happens to have white cupboard doors and draw fronts so that a piece of white Conti-board is a close enough colour match. P1050820.JPG.e76b478815c2fd5a978aa7525c8daa9e.JPGP1050821.JPG.5662afb00217c5a90f5639c509b226bb.JPG

There is the fridge behind the panel, so not even the option of reinforcing the back of it. What you see in the first photo is a length of 9" Conti-board, which simply rests on the shelf. The second photo shows a strip of the board which is screwed up into the bottom of the cupboard above (notice the white screw-head caps) and keeps the  board in place. The screws are now subject to a sideways load rather than being pulled out. The bracket is then mounted to the Conti-board, which has proved strong enough over the three years since I installed it.

I have always dismounted the TV for travelling.

4 hours ago, Flying Grandad said:

My 'van (Swift Elegance) happens to have white cupboard doors and draw fronts so that a piece of white Conti-board is a close enough colour match. P1050820.JPG.e76b478815c2fd5a978aa7525c8daa9e.JPGP1050821.JPG.5662afb00217c5a90f5639c509b226bb.JPG

There is the fridge behind the panel, so not even the option of reinforcing the back of it. What you see in the first photo is a length of 9" Conti-board, which simply rests on the shelf. The second photo shows a strip of the board which is screwed up into the bottom of the cupboard above (notice the white screw-head caps) and keeps the  board in place. The screws are now subject to a sideways load rather than being pulled out. The bracket is then mounted to the Conti-board, which has proved strong enough over the three years since I installed it.

I have always dismounted the TV for travelling.

Thanks, that looks a good job. My cupboard doors are also white so maybe I could do similar.

Where did you get the board from, and do your tv bracket screws just go into the conti board or do they also go into the wall behind? 

Let's face it, the TV bracket mounting point won't be bolted through, but  will be screwed in , probably with 3/8" wood screws into MDF...  I wouldn't want my TV left to 4 screw of that length to hold it...

14 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

Let's face it, the TV bracket mounting point won't be bolted through, but  will be screwed in , probably with 3/8" wood screws into MDF...  I wouldn't want my TV left to 4 screw of that length to hold it...

I've not seem much MDF in a caravan but there plenty of 4mm ply.

If I were inclined to screw my TV to a wall and then travel with it mounted (which I'm not) then I'd want a big sheet of 12mm ply or similar behind the panel to reinforce it together with with bolts, nuts and big penny washers and hope that the panel was firmly fixed to the van.

To my simple mind, why take the risk? I can’t see anything to gain. 

My "big" 42 inch TV stands on a desk, and remains there when we travel. Rock solid and it rarely moves.

We don't do TV in the caravan 😀

Stemming from the days of children, so they didn't associate caravan with TV.

Now it's a good excuse for me not to have to endure mindless soaps.

Nothing better than sitting in your own caravan watching TV. It’s part of the enjoyment of caravanning to me, as is sat reading. 

There so much rubbish on tv, we cherry pick and record the programmes that interest us, when at home.

We just do the same before we go away...and then spend a week, when we get back, catching up.

But we do take a tv with integral DVD player and a few dvds....plus a few films downloaded to the laptop  in advance.

Edited by ericfield

47 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

...... as is sat reading. 

Have to agree with that

Sign in to follow this