ChrB

Alde 3020 heating caravan when HW only selected

Hi. First post here. Be gentle. 

We just had our first weekend in our Cadiz 3. All good except that the caravan kept getting too warm even though only hot water was selected on the Alde control panel. 

What seemed to be happening was that while the heating pump stayed off (as expected),  warm fluid was creeping up into the first "radiator". The one behind the seat that contains the boiler. 

The effect was more than just some warmth coming from the boiler it's self. The pipe up to, and that "rad" behind the seat, were quite hot. This heat didn't travel to any other part of the van but it meant we had to switch off hot water or have roof lights and windows open. 

PS. When turned on, the heating works superbly throughout the van. 

Any ideas? Does anyone else suffer?

Thanks.

You say only hot water was selected on the control panel, but what was the temp setting, and in which position was the 'shower' symbol?

You should have the temp set low - say 18C or so as the heating won't come on below about 22-23C at this time of year.

The shower symbol should have only a half showing next to it else the water will get much hotter than necessary and you might get the problem you have.

Also check there is nothing incorrectly set in the sub-menus - like running on gas?

Finally if all is correctly set but you still have a problem ring Alde support - they are usually very helpful.

• +1 1

It sounds like natural thermo-syphon - if the radiator pipe is above the boiler outlet this will happen - not sure how you can stop it other than adding a valve into the system which shuts when heating is off.

Thanks for both replies. 

I did a reset which I hope cleared any odd settings.  Shower symbol was set to half (I think that's "normal" rather than "boost"?)

Temperature was indeed set to 18. Gas was set to off and electric to 2KW. The van got up to about 26 (on Alde display) because the evening was so warm. 

I think thermo-syphon describes perfectly what seemed to be happening. Hot water rising to that rad because it's higher and close to the boiler. 

I'll contact Alde. Thanks for the suggestion. I assume a support contact is easy to get through to using info from their website? I'll see what I can find anyway. Cheers.

• Like 1

Hello. There is a non-return valve in the flow assembly that should prevent that scenario, so it would be worth asking your dealer to check that the NRV is fitted and hasn't been removed for some reason.

2 hours ago, Alde UK said:

Hello. There is a non-return valve in the flow assembly that should prevent that scenario, so it would be worth asking your dealer to check that the NRV is fitted and hasn't been removed for some reason.

That won't stop thermo-syphon in the normal direction of flow.

Thanks Alde UK

This was a private sale so I'm thinking of having a full service soon to get everything looked at anyway. I'll get it checked then. Is the valve in the boiler assembly or is it something the installer should have fitted?

BG I believe that the right non-return valve would not be opened by the thermo-syphon effect, there just wouldn't be sufficient pressure. But when the pump comes on, the valve will open. 

Here's what there is. I assume that's just a short piece of pipe coupling the two rubber ones? 

IMG_20190902_192019.jpg

IMG_20190902_191911.jpg

5 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

That won't stop thermo-syphon in the normal direction of flow.

It will if its crack opening pressure is greater than the very low "head" pressure developed by the thermo syphon. Their use is a classic method to stop thermo-syphoning, so I suspect that is what we could have here.. When the pump starts an adequately higher head to open it is generated.

9 hours ago, Alde UK said:

So if the NRV is in the flow assembly, is it that alloy part in between two rubber hoses in my zoomed in picture?. Is this available on it's own?