France - speed limits

I think I know that in most regions car/caravan speed limits (outside urban areas) are 80kph on single carriageways and 90kph on motorways. Unsure if on a motorway there is a 80kph sign with 3.5t below this applies to car/caravan or just trucks. Been taking the safe option, but have been overtaken by numerous other French registered cars towing caravans.

My combination weighs around 4t

Searched, but can't find a definitive answer, but no doubt someone will?

Edited by CliveB

Of course it’s not just speed limits.

The question was debated on this forum some time back ... whether the 3.5T limit on access, weak bridges and the like apply to the combined train weight ...or the component car and caravan individual weights.  

There was a lot of confusion regarding French/German/UK/ interpretation of the signs.

It will be interesting to see if there has been any clarification.

Edited by ericfield

Lutz claimed that in Germany it was the actual weight of the vehicles that mattered.  My belief was that the same rules should/would apply as in France and elsewhere.  

I think it was agreed that the 3.5t was for train weight throughout Europe but Lutz claimed not so in Germany.

Edited by Squash

5 minutes ago, Squash said:

Lutz claimed that in Germany it was the actual weight of the vehicles that mattered.  My belief was that the same rules should/would apply as in France and elsewhere.  

I think it was agreed that the 3.5t was for train weight throughout Europe but Lutz claimed not so in Germany.

As far as I’m aware Lutz is correct, it’s the actual weight of the vehicle or vehicle + trailer that counts in Germany, anything that weighs over 3500Kg is limited to 100 km/h on the Autobahn (80 for caravans if you don’t meet the National criteria for 100 km/h).

I don’t think the French are that strict on their motorway, my combination is 5030 Kg and I always tow at 100 - 105 km/h , have done for many years for thousands of kilometres and I’ve never had a ticket.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

1 hour ago, Squash said:

I actually thought the confusion was about the plated weights (solo and train) versus the actual weight.  

I didn’t think what Lutz said was any different to other countries......if a car and caravan train weight is over 3.5T the restriction applies to the combination. If a SOLO vehicle, be that a lorry, van or tow car is over 3.5T, the restrictions apply. It’s whether the plated or actual weights are the ones used.

Because my actual train weight is over 3.5T I’ve always respected the 3.5T signage/speed limits.

Edited by ericfield

Having looked at these on my recent trip to France, I’d noticed that a number of downhill sections had a red circle around 3.5t and a number had this plus a picture of a lorry; I don’t know the technicalities of why but assumed those with the lorry don’t apply to caravans but those without do

1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

Having looked at these on my recent trip to France, I’d noticed that a number of downhill sections had a red circle around 3.5t and a number had this plus a picture of a lorry; I don’t know the technicalities of why but assumed those with the lorry don’t apply to caravans but those without do

That was my guess. I did notice the Dutch are exempted though.

12 hours ago, Squash said:

Yes, I have rechecked my information and in Germany it is the actual weight per vehicle that counts, and it applies to each vehicle, not to the complete outfit.