Sign in to follow this  
Hoggy1972

Bike storage when onsite

Hi All,

When we go caravanning we always like to take our bikes with us, which usually means taking 5 bikes. Transporting them is fine as we can put some on the car and some in the caravan, however when we get set-up onsite i haven't yet found a secure way of storing the bikes, they usually end up being propped up in the awning which takes up lots of room, reduces our use of the awning and they generally get in the way.

Has anyone solved this issue? Is there some cool set-up using a bike rack and tarp? Looking for any ideas :)

Cheers

Hoggy.

This is an issue as some electric bikes are 3k each and having two sat in the awning . Good chains and a shed PIR alarm would be more secure in the awning .

I thought I read that CMC sites are looking at bike lockers that can be secure and hired .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

We interlock our bikes against each other

• Like 1

I've seen motorhomers remove the travel cover off the back, take the bikes down and then use the travel cover to protect them from the weather. How they protect them from theft, I don't know.

Lock them all together in a bike cave.

D3537DDD-7215-434F-B17F-5E342D2BB509.thumb.jpeg.14ea6d4b2c3f6556cf16f735af3e2a5c.jpeg

John

• +1 1

Just make sure that you lock the bikes together and your bike insurance is up to date. 

39 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Lock them all together in a bike cave.

D3537DDD-7215-434F-B17F-5E342D2BB509.thumb.jpeg.14ea6d4b2c3f6556cf16f735af3e2a5c.jpeg

John

You will probably find the bike cave AND the bikes gone in the morning and you would't have heard a thing. The best way to prevent theft is to put the bikes in the car if you can, or chain them to the caravan chassis - preferably in the awning.

50 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I've seen motorhomers remove the travel cover off the back, take the bikes down and then use the travel cover to protect them from the weather. How they protect them from theft, I don't know.

Some have the bikes secured by cable to a alarm unit on the rear wireless connected to the MH alarm system .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

At Houghton Mill I had our two bikes (with my wifes bike on top) fixed with a heavy duty cable to the caravan 'A' frame. In the morning the cable was cut, my Wifes bike was laying on the ground and mine was gone. Didn't hear a thing.

I have a long 10mm diameter link motor bike chain and the bikes both have kick stands.

The chain goes through both wheels and then around the seat tubes under the cross bars so they are locked together and the wheels cannot rotate.

I bought a settee polythene cover to fit over for water proofing then the so called waterproof, not waterproof, black bike cover goes over the lot.

8 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

At Houghton Mill I had our two bikes (with my wifes bike on top) fixed with a heavy duty cable to the caravan 'A' frame. In the morning the cable was cut, my Wifes bike was laying on the ground and mine was gone. Didn't hear a thing.

I was on a CMC site in York and was stired at night by the dog to hear someone trying to open a locker . Half a dozen Traveller families happen to be staying on site at the time .

I never lack security on any site .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Just walk around ,no worries then ?

14 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

Chains make a lot more noise than cables, and hardened steel chains take a lot more cutting!

A combined lock and alarm makes a lot of noise, should wake you up!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorbike-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Bicycle-Padlock/dp/B07MGG5WR4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=alarm+lock+chain&qid=1567352227&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMVVHQk1DWUFDU1MxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjk2MzgzM0tJRFRMOVdQSVZBOCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjAzMjA2VThEMzBTVkhDWTI3JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Under the van, locked to the corner steady down link - not the leg itself.

But we only have 2, not 5 bikes

• +1 1

some folk put their bikes in the car.  I've seen  them locked to trees and locked to the caravan.   If someone really wants to steal the bikes they will, therefore why don't all you bike owners get together and let the main clubs know that you will pay for a secure lock up for your bikes  ?  Do you insure your bikes or are they just covered on your home insurance, which usually covers theft from the home or garage only  ?

My eBike comes with an Abus frame lock as standard. As part of the deal I also have the chain lock extra as a freebie.

I also have a Kryptonite ‘D’ lock and 2 x Krypto flex cables. The cables are threaded through each rear steady (like a noose). The chain is threaded through one eyelet and attached to the bike lock, which is at the rear of the bike. The ‘D’ lock is threaded through the other cable at the front of the bike, through the front forks & down tube, which is attached to the near side rear steady. As the bike has its own stand, there is no problem with the bike in its upright position!

I only have 1 bike, but you can use this principle for your 5 bikes locking them all together. Get 15mm cables, not thin ones?

As for a cover I have a Maveek, from Amazon, they are waterproof. (A relative has one for his mobility scooter!) It also has 50mm security eyelets at the front wheel end to allow for security!

But you can only do the best possible, as if THEY want IT, THEY WILL have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bike is insured!

A month or so, ago we booked up at Ferry Meadows CMC site. When I printed off the booking info, there was a warning about bike theft. My bike stayed at home!

There are certain areas/sites around the country I would not take my car and caravan to let alone our easy liftable eBikes, hardened motorbike chains or not! :angry:

Sign in to follow this