Cloud gazer

Tow with peugeot partner tepee 1.6?

We are thinking of buying our first caravan. We have a 2013 tepee 1.6Hdi. Tow capacity of 1300kg which is lower than the 85% guide. I had thought we could look at caravans with a Mtplm up to that amount but then we spoke to our car mechanic. He said the horsepower etc of our car means we shouldn't really tow anything over 750kg! He thinks it'll kill the clutch and fly wheel. Is he over cautious or do we need a new car? We are a family of 4 with a budget of under £6000 for a caravan so the lovely new lightweight 2 berths I've seen like go pods are not an option. 

I would be more inclined to believe what the actual manufacturer says about tow limits! 

MISUSE of the clutch, such as holding the rig stationary for more than a few seconds on the clutch p,  should be avoided at all costs, as that WILL kill the Dual Mass Flywheel in double quick time. And they are expensive!

Andy

I think your mechanic has a point but the specifics may be up for discussion. You’re going to have to choose your caravan carefully and travel exceedingly lightly. We use a couple of Berlingo vans as workshop runarounds which are essentially the same vehicles. They are not noted for an abundance of power.  Loading your Tepee up with all the luggage of four people plus caravan paraphernalia  then hanging a caravan on the back is not going to make for a relaxing or safe tow if you’re not careful. 

Do the sums regarding tow car matching carefully. Whilst the 85% rule is only a guide for the novice it’s based on sound principles. I feel you’re going to need to upgrade the car though. 

The Peugeot has a 92bhp engine which while lagging behind today's diesels is similar to the Ford Mondeo's and Peugeot 406's of the late 90's which were used for towing a variety of caravans up and down the country. From 1998 to 2002 I used a 1998 406 1.9TD  (90bhp) to tow a 1200kg 4 berth all over the place without any problems.

Personally I am wary of towing right up to a vehicles maximum towing weight as in my eyes you're pushing the car to its limits.  However for your budget there are lightweight 4 berths from a variety of manufacturers such as Bailey, Avondale and Sprite with MTPLM's of around 1200kgs.

I should say that we'd be looking at caravans well under 1300kg mtplm to try to keep the weight down. That means it'd be much lower than the legal tow limit or the 85%. Will will have a fairly full car though... 

Not quite sure what you mean by the towing limit of 1300Kg is ''lower than the 85% guide.'

First off look at the plate - probably on the N/S B pillar between the front and rear doors. Subtract the smaller of the top two numbers from the larger and you will have the towing limit.

The (Partner) TeePee has a number of different powered engines from 75bhp to 120bhp - which does you van have?

Give us these figures and we will probably be of more help.

As an example, 1200kgs MTPLM: Look at this on eBay 
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273980723056

8 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Not quite sure what you mean by the towing limit of 1300Kg is ''lower than the 85% guide.'

The towing limit is 1300kgs which is less than 85% of its kerbweight (kerbweight is around 1600kgs).

OK, thanks for your help guys. I had read that 1300kg is the legal towing limit. However, subtracting the numbers in the plate gives 1000kg. (although I seem to remember French cars are calculated differently...) 

92bhp 

Did you use the correct figures on the plate as most web sites appear to say 1300kgs? Some French manufacturers reduce the towing limit if the car is fully loaded. 

That's what I thought... Here's the plate. 

_20190831_231449.JPG

Wow, that is low. You're going to struggle to find a 4 berth at 1,000kgs. Some old models (late 80's) were very light but there's not many around. Trailer tents and folding campers might be a better bet?

It’s the usual PSA thing - you can trade off some payload with towing weights but if you had 1300kg on the back I suspect you’d be limited to the driver!

Is yours the 75bhp version as I think these were much lower rated for towing compared to the 92bhp version.

You will find a 1000kg 4-berth but you might be looking at a late 90’s/ early 00’s one.

Might be worth considering a folding camper like a Fiesta as these are about 750kg

Edit: I would suggest if it’s the 75bhp version a remap would be worthwhile - mechanically they are identical to the 92bhp version (the 110bhp has some mechanical differences) so whilst that won’t increase the tow weight it will make a 1000kg load much more manageable

Edited by FrankBullet

You're attempting to get a quart into a pint pot!  They look a nice car but unfortunately not up to towing a modern caravan other than a little one like a  Freedom.   I used to tow with a 1.6l VW Golf years ago but the caravan was sub 1000kg.       John.

Edited by Leedslad

10 hours ago, Cloud gazer said:

OK, thanks for your help guys. I had read that 1300kg is the legal towing limit. However, subtracting the numbers in the plate gives 1000kg. (although I seem to remember French cars are calculated differently...) 

92bhp 

They are saying on the plate that the 1300 kg is part of the vehicles payload in that if the vehicle is fully laden it has a 1000 kg allowance for a trailer but if you use the 1300 kg you need to reduce the vehicles payload of maximum gross weight by 300 kg . Basically you can carry the weight or tow it but not both .

That's why you should never use quoted towing figures but plates .

We had a member that took the quoted manufacturers figures on a new car and then found it was based on no passengers .

Dave

10 hours ago, Cloud gazer said:

92bhp 

The difference between the 1300 and 1000 is down to the fact that some brands use a method of calculation that requires the towing limit to be reduced if the car is fully loaded - your TeePee could tow 1300kg with just a driver and no passengers or load, but fully laden (as you're likely to be with 4-up plus luggage) the limit is 1000 kg.

Finding a 4-berth under 1000kg MTPLM will be almost impossible unless you go for an older caravan when equipment levels were much lower, around 1990 I'd guess.

I had a 92bhp 1.6Hdi Xsara Picasso with a braked towing capacity of 1300kgs

I towed a Bailey Orion 440-4, MTPLM of 1249kgs, with no problems other than having to change down the gears when going up hills, which is a normal thing to do anyway, just did it a bit earlier.

I now tow a Bailey Pursuit 2, 430-4 MTPLM of 1229kgs, with a Citroen Grand Picasso 150 bhp 2.0 blueHdi, so a lighter caravan with a more powerful car and still need to change down on hills.

So using the gearbox is a normal thing to do.

I got better MPG with the smaller car, with an average of 39mpg when towing, as opposed to 29 mpg with the bigger car.

17 minutes ago, Wunny said:

I now tow a Bailey Pursuit 2, 430-4 MTPLM of 1229kgs, with a Citroen Grand Picasso 150 bhp 2.0 blueHdi, so a lighter caravan with a more powerful car and still need to change down on hills.

We towed the same van with a DS4 with the same engine - I too would have to change down on hills but it did have intergalactic gearing which the Grand Picasso doesn’t although it is heavier!

Hopefully if yours is a manual it’s not an early 2015 build as there is a fault on them where the cooling doesn’t work as effectively as it ought to and the temperature warning kicks in too late - we  killed the head gasket as it happened to us before the recall was issued.

I would imagine looking at the plated weights that a 1000kg van would be fine, especially if remapped, just be patient!

31 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

We towed the same van with a DS4 with the same engine - I too would have to change down on hills but it did have intergalactic gearing which the Grand Picasso doesn’t although it is heavier!

Hopefully if yours is a manual it’s not an early 2015 build as there is a fault on them where the cooling doesn’t work as effectively as it ought to and the temperature warning kicks in too late - we  killed the head gasket as it happened to us before the recall was issued.

The GP is an October /  November 2015 build, with a 6 speed manual gearbox.  On the long eastbound drag on the M4 towards Bristol, I get down to 4th gear and if there's a head wind, I've been down to 3rd!  Not had any temperature issues.  In fact no issues at all since the 3 year warranty ran out!! (Shhhh)

OK.  Decided we'll have to get a new car! Not much to spend (around £8000) so it'll be a few years old. No particular caravan in mind yet but it will need to be a 4/5 berth and under £7000 at the most. Any recommendations for a tow car that will give us a good range of options when choosing a caravan? We have 8 year old twins and a dog so lots of boot space needed. 

So many to consider but a Mondeo or Passat would be a good buy in estate guise.

The cleanest Passat 2.0TDi estate you can find!

• Like 1

You can get 7/8 year old top spec (EX) CRV 2.2 iDtec with less than 60k on the clock for less than £8k.

13 hours ago, Cloud gazer said:

OK.  Decided we'll have to get a new car! Not much to spend (around £8000) so it'll be a few years old. No particular caravan in mind yet but it will need to be a 4/5 berth and under £7000 at the most. Any recommendations for a tow car that will give us a good range of options when choosing a caravan? We have 8 year old twins and a dog so lots of boot space needed. 

As it's your first van, get as many opinions as possible on van layouts. Our preferred was end bathroom so dog sleeps in the shower but there may be arguments as to which twin gets the top bunk!

Rear bedroom means kids can be shut away in the evenings.

It may be wise to get an older van at around half your budget and intend to keep it a year or so. If you do want to upgrade then, your cash loss will be less and you will have a better idea of what you really want as there's no substitute for your own experiences. Putting £7k into a van and then finding it's not best suited to what you want may mean a £1k drop after a year to change.

Just thinking, your 8 year old twins will be growing quickly so when looking at caravans do not get one where they will outgrow the beds in a short time.

If you do not mind an old car, the Citroen C5 estate is a good tow car with the model up to 2008 being a bit larger internally then the more recent model and all models up to 2008 have self levelling suspension, after that date only exclusive models.

Edited by Paul1957

On 31/08/2019 at 21:07, Cloud gazer said:

We are thinking of buying our first caravan. We have a 2013 tepee 1.6Hdi. Tow capacity of 1300kg which is lower than the 85% guide. I had thought we could look at caravans with a Mtplm up to that amount but then we spoke to our car mechanic. He said the horsepower etc of our car means we shouldn't really tow anything over 750kg! He thinks it'll kill the clutch and fly wheel. Is he over cautious or do we need a new car? We are a family of 4 with a budget of under £6000 for a caravan so the lovely new lightweight 2 berths I've seen like go pods are not an option. 

Have you considered a trailer tent/folding camper, eg Conway or Pennine?  Lighter than most caravans and loads of space.  They are perfectly adequate for family holidays if a bit more work than a caravan.  Buy well secondhand and you should lose little on it.  Your vehicle should cope well if you buy correctly.  Take your time and use your gears, that's what they're there for.