Removal of static furniture

Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.pngOur supporter Prima Leisure has Caravan Parts/Accessories for Bailey and all other makes of caravan and motorhome. Take a look at their massive range of products.

Well worth a visit!

We have a Willerby rio Gold 2015 and would like to remove the bench seating and replace with free standing settee and chair.  Can this be done and has anyone else done it?

Edited by Fionna
Wrong title

We considered it some years ago...the concerns for us were the weight of the furniture being added and the ‘fixing it’ for travel. There was also the small matter of relocating / hiding the services that were located  under the benches.

21 minutes ago, ericfield said:

We considered it some years ago...the concerns for us were the weight of the furniture being added and the ‘fixing it’ for travel. There was also the small matter of relocating / hiding the services that were located  under the benches.

When I google a 'Willerby rio Gold' it comes up as a 37ft  static, so whats the problem with weight and fixing it for travel?

Alan

In a touring van it is necessary to replace the structural strength of the benches without adding too much weight.

In a static, the weight is not critical but I do not know whether the benches contribute to the structure.

22 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

When I google a 'Willerby rio Gold' it comes up as a 37ft  static, so whats the problem with weight and fixing it for travel?

Alan

Well spotted. 😆I assumed it was a touring caravan.

A man fitted the furniture so it’s a fair bet a man can remove it! 

Andy

Sorry, substitute “person” for man please!

24 minutes ago, ericfield said:

Well spotted. 😆I assumed it was a touring caravan.

And we all know what assume means don’t we?? 

It makes an “ass of u & me” 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

The traditional methods of building statics was from chassis up and fr om the inside out i.e. the carpet laid and fixed furniture built on top.  The innards walls frames etc. were assembled and finally the outside walls fastened on. This meant many of the traditional bench seats had the ‘vans inside wall and frame screwed to them from the outside and then the ‘vans cladding was attached. Thus the fastening screw heads for the seats to walls are inside the wall so to remove seats you end up pulling the wood frame off the screws.

The second factor again that for a long time the bench seats along with other internal walls being the fixing points for the ‘vans external walls timber framework were also supports that added rigidity to these outside walls. In some cases where fixed seats have been removed it has resulted in external walls flexing and buckling.

All this  leads to the standard advice being to check with a ‘vans manufacturer has to whether, in that particular model, seats are supporting the structural integrity of the wall, and if they say it’s OK to remove do so slowly and carefully to minimise damage.

For those of you who watched “Gavin & Stacey” on TV, friends of ours bought the old static caravan that Ruth Jones (Nessa) used to live in on the show. It was an old van, but they completely revamped it, including removing the fixed seats and installing a nice corner suite - on top of newly laid laminate flooring.

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

• 5 months later...

Back again...…. So we have gone ahead with the refurbishing of the van - had the bench settee and dining area seating removed, wall boards replaced, new carpet laid and are now awaiting our corner suite to be delivered.  Pics hopefully to be uploaded once complete.  So - it can be done without any issues caused to the van.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2020 at 15:06, Fionna said:

Back again...…. So we have gone ahead with the refurbishing of the van - had the bench settee and dining area seating removed, wall boards replaced, new carpet laid and are now awaiting our corner suite to be delivered.  Pics hopefully to be uploaded once complete.  So - it can be done without any issues caused to the van.

Hi there , looking to do the exact same. Have a willoby Caledonia ... please please get back to me. Behind my seating area the walls & Back of  sofas have gone mouldy , do u think if I was to to take out and replace with a corner sofa it would resolve this problem as would be away from the wall . Hope to see your pictures soon :) xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, we just bought our first static  caravan. One of the boxed seating end panels is broken at the bottom front corner. The chipboard or melamine panel as it is need replacing. It is a funny shape which being the end panel. Does anyone know where you can buy these panels already cut with the trim? Everyone or anywhere online I come across does re upholstery but I cannot find the end panels anywhere. 
Cheers Chris 

• 1 month later...

With a static you can remove the fixed furniture and replace with freestanding, you just need to make sure that the wall panelling is ok and or redecorate, The carpet or flooring may be an issue but some will be under the fitted furniture, but it will still show up as different ie, Newish / Old 

So the thing to remember is if you want to remove your Fixed furniture you may want to replace the carpet/flooring and decorate the walls

You are replying to a newbie who posted on Mar 18th but never returned  o they may never see your reply. 

I suggest you check the dates of posts before replying.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

14 minutes ago, WispMan said:

You are replying to a newbie who posted on Mar 18th but never returned  o they may never see your reply. 

I suggest you check the dates of posts before replying.

She  posted again on Feb 26th 2020 to say that she had been successful in doing her project, see her posts 4th above yours.🤷‍♂️🙄

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
On 26/02/2020 at 15:06, Fionna said:

Did you take pictures? I’d love to see as I’m tempted to do the same in my willerby Skye.

15 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

Did you take pictures? I’d love to see as I’m tempted to do the same in my willerby Skye.

The original poster hasn't been online since February. So you might not get the answer to your question. 

Best to check how old the thread is and when the poster was last online.

Hope that helps

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

We have free standing furniture in our Pemberton, it’s one of the reasons we bought it, far more comfortable than any fixed seating although there’s less storage (under the fixed seating) and it takes up more room. As there’s just the two of us using ours both of those aren’t a consideration for us.

But to answer easypeasy, some friend of ours did this with their brand new static and said it was indeed easy peasy😉

Some static owners are reluctant to do it because it is said to devalue the static when you come to sell it. I don’t know how true that is🤷‍♀️

8 minutes ago, Vaguely said:

We have free standing furniture in our Pemberton, it’s one of the reasons we bought it, far more comfortable than any fixed seating although there’s less storage (under the fixed seating) and it takes up more room. As there’s just the two of us using ours both of those aren’t a consideration for us.

But to answer easypeasy, some friend of ours did this with their brand new static and said it was indeed easy peasy😉

Some static owners are reluctant to do it because it is said to devalue the static when you come to sell it. I don’t know how true that is🤷‍♀️

When I bought a two bedroom static for my wife and daughter when I was away much of the time at college I bought the residential version that came with a 3 piece cottage suite and large coffee table and  large two door storage unit in a corner of the room. There was a 4 seat kitchen dining area that did have storage under and would have made up into a double bed. The holiday version as opposed to the residential version had built in furniture ad, I think, less insulation.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We don’t have a 3 piece suite, we have two 2 seater sofas, one of which is a sofa bed. It didn’t come with a coffee table but we bought a small nest of tables from Argos, clear plastic, which fits in well with the minimalistic decor. There’s a small chest of drawers in the living area but no other storage or display unit...given that I don’t do ornaments or clutter that suits me 😁

Our  oblong dining table has a glass top which sits on a sort of wooden trestle, and has four fully upholstered chairs, much like we have at home. As our caravan is classed as a six berth, I’d like to know what the other two people are supposed to sit on at the table 🙄

Hi we have brought a pemberton 35 ft static caravan and want to replace the fixed seating ( it also has a pull out bed ) will we have any  problems if we remove the fixed seating as we want to put in freestanding , i know the fixed seating is attached by screws from the outside as we can see the pointed end of the screw through the wooden settee frame , i just dont want it affecting the stability of the van , ive read it can do ?  many thanks for your help 

• 1 month later...

Hi we have a Willoughby Sierra 2016 with fixed seating. We would like to remove this and put in  a free standing Settee  and 2 chairs . Has anyone tried this in a Willoughby Sierra before?

• 4 weeks later...

Can the seatting be replaced on the willerby linwood whit free standing sofas etc as ot wpuld help me so.much if it could be.done let me.know please asap regards

Edited by Scott t

Hi,

We have a 2018 ABI St David. We removed the fixed seating and replaced it with Ikea furniture with a fold out bed so it's still a 6 berth. The Ikea bed is much better than the factory one.

I removed the carpet in the lounge area and replaced it and the vinyl in the kitchen and hallway with click vinyl. So much easier to keep clean. Cut the carpet and had it edged and use it as rugs.

There were no issues removing the seat bases and the screws were all fitted from inside the seating, so no need to rip anything out. Only needed to replace one corner trim and put some skirting board around the floor where the fixed seating was.

I now want to sell the cushions and backrests - how do I find the classified ads on this forum ?

• 3 weeks later...

If it helps I had a Willerby engineer fixing my Avonmore boiler flue plate on the roof that was leaking.

i asked him the question about removing fixed furniture from inside the caravan 

his reply was if the furniture doesn’t go from the floor to the roof you can remove it , it’s not structural 

hope this helps