Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GaryB1969

Volvo V5 errors

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

The towing figures never appeared on the V5 until the new format was introduced in 2010 in the UK .

 

If your going to quote figures on a official document then they need to be set by a format that all car manufacturers follow .

 

Dave

 

The format is laid down quite clearly in the Certificate of Conformity. It is, and has always been, item 18. If the V5 didn't show towloads before 2010 then this was a serious omission and prior to that date owners would have had to approach the manufacturer and ask for a copy of the CoC for their vehicle if they wanted full clarification of towloads that may be greater than the difference between the GTW and the GVW.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

The towing figures never appeared on the V5 until the new format was introduced in 2010 in the UK .

 

If your going to quote figures on a official document then they need to be set by a format that all car manufacturers follow .

 

Dave

 

The standard format is on the VIN plate, always has been - many "owners" never see the V5C as it's held by a leasing company or their employer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

 

The standard format is on the VIN plate, always has been - many "owners" never see the V5C as it's held by a leasing company or their employer.

 

The VIN plate doesn't quote the towing limit. One can only deduce a limit by subtracting the GVW from the GTW, but that need not necessarily reveal the true towload limit. It could be higher, which would be the case, for example, if one has to trade off part of the GVW in order to make full use of a higher towload and still stay within the GTW limit.

 

Edited by Lutz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lutz said:

 

The VIN plate doesn't quote the towing limit. One can only deduce a limit by subtracting the GVW from the GTW, but that need not necessarily reveal the true towload limit. It could be higher, which would be the case, for example, if one has to trade off part of the GVW in order to make full use of a higher towload and still stay within the GTW limit.

 

 

That what is on the plate based on fully laden vehicle from the Mtw but manufacturers are quoting towing figures based on empty vehicles or one passenger and some fully laden .

 

This can leave people over weight and effect their vehicle insurance .

 

 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

 

That what is on the plate based on fully laden vehicle from the Mtw but manufacturers are quoting towing figures based on empty vehicles or one passenger and some fully laden .

 

 

Dave

 

The plate doesn't quote any towing limits. If you are reading a towing limit from what is on the plate then this is arrived at by pure deduction, which may or may not be correct. The actual towing limit will, however, never be less than one calculated on the basis of what's on the plate.

Manufacturers are quoting technical towing limits, irrespective of how the vehicle is laden. If they feel that the towing limit achievable with a fully laden vehicle is at the same time the absolute limit, then so be it, but if they feel that the vehicle is technically capable of towing heavier loads if the GVW is not used to the full, then they are fully at liberty to do so. It all depends on what is technically possible and permissible.

 

Edited by Lutz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

The towing figures never appeared on the V5 until the new format was introduced in 2010 in the UK .

 

If your going to quote figures on a official document then they need to be set by a format that all car manufacturers follow .

 

Dave

Not sure if the 2010 date is right, I have a V5 from 2005 which has the towing weights on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

Not sure if the 2010 date is right, I have a V5 from 2005 which has the towing weights on it.

 

15 th August 2010 the v5c was changed from the old blue green .

 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

 

That what is on the plate based on fully laden vehicle from the Mtw but manufacturers are quoting towing figures based on empty vehicles or one passenger and some fully laden .

 

This can leave people over weight and effect their vehicle insurance .

 

 

Dave

That is correct and I think Vauxhall are the only manufacturer that stated this in the brochure i.w with just a driver the car can tow 1500kg.  However if passenger at 75kg and luggage at 125kg it can now only tow 1300kg.  Not many people realised that some cars have this restriction.  However what really counts is the maximum gross train weight on the VIN plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

That is correct and I think Vauxhall are the only manufacturer that stated this in the brochure i.w with just a driver the car can tow 1500kg.  However if passenger at 75kg and luggage at 125kg it can now only tow 1300kg.  Not many people realised that some cars have this restriction.  However what really counts is the maximum gross train weight on the VIN plate.

 

There may be the odd exception where the above restriction may apply, but in general, in the case of Vauxhalls, the maximum towload also applies with a fully laden towcar. The note in the brochure was obviously taken over from a case in the past where there was such a restriction, without checking first whether it always applies. However, in most cases it is incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I received the V5C for my new V60 D4, the maximum towing weight for a braked trailer was 750kg, the same as for an unbraked trailer.  Contacted Volvo who wrote back with a letter to send off to DVLA.  Did this and new V5C had the same weights.  'Phoned DVLA who apologised and they sent an updated V5C.

 

No matter what the plate on my vehicle stated, I was concerned that if I was stopped in France for a towing incident, they would refer to the V5C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

That is correct and I think Vauxhall are the only manufacturer that stated this in the brochure i.w with just a driver the car can tow 1500kg.  However if passenger at 75kg and luggage at 125kg it can now only tow 1300kg.  Not many people realised that some cars have this restriction.  However what really counts is the maximum gross train weight on the VIN plate.

 

For many decades, Vauxhall stated that to cover themselves - but the plated weights always had enough difference to to the full weight even if the car was fully loaded - I have checked them out in the last year or two so maybe it's changed since being French-owned.

 

 

27 minutes ago, Robbie said:

When I received the V5C for my new V60 D4, the maximum towing weight for a braked trailer was 750kg, the same as for an unbraked trailer.  Contacted Volvo who wrote back with a letter to send off to DVLA.  Did this and new V5C had the same weights.  'Phoned DVLA who apologised and they sent an updated V5C.

 

No matter what the plate on my vehicle stated, I was concerned that if I was stopped in France for a towing incident, they would refer to the V5C.

 

Does the V5C have any validity in France ?

Edited by Black Grouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

 

Does the V5C have any validity in France ?

 

Vehicle registration documents throughout the EU have the same item numbers for each criterion, so anyone can read the details even without knowledge of the language of issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2019 at 09:31, GaryB1969 said:

Just received my ammended V5 for my V90 with the towing weight corrected. As I mentioned previously,  Volvo supplied the wrong information when registering a lot of new cars and the maximum braked weight is incorrectly shown as 750kgs. Volvo Customer Services were very helpful and supplied a letter for the DVLA. The whole process took four weeks.

2019-08-31 09.19.08.jpg

Bit of a tangent. Last section screen shot exhaust emission figures, which are blank. I'll check my V5 later but anybody else got a V5 with emission figures listed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, TenStar said:

anybody else got a V5 with emission figures listed?

Yes - in addition to item V.7 CO2 (g/km) = 164. But then, I don't have the Sound level data!

 

IMG_1570.thumb.JPG.1135faabdb092694302fc7a3e88cc965.JPG

 

 

 

Edited by Mickyjb
Additional information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...