Sign in to follow this  
Bodster

Motorhome & Caravan Show 2019 - NEC

On 01/09/2019 at 18:54, Tradewinds said:

Not sure if you really get a good deal buying at the show, last time I bought there it was very rushed.

We went last Oct, no intention of buying anything other than a new awning HOWEVER we got offered such a good deal on a “dealer special” we ended up with a new awning AND a new caravan to use it on.

Having looked around very carefully since then I have not been able to find anything approaching the deal I got at the show. So, for me, I got what I considered to be an excellent deal. In fact I am actually  sitting in that caravan, as I type this, on a campsite in France. Been a lovely day, warm sunshine 22° but now the wind has picked up a bit so it feels a tad chilly, but it is 22:15! 

Andy

• Thanks 1

On 02/09/2019 at 20:12, Bodster said:

We are now considering taking a day off work each and leaving kids at childcare (no family live nearby).

Plan isn’t to buy a caravan until late 2020, so going this time round as a prospective customer to look at various models, layouts and understand level of discount available at shows with so we can go reasonably informed next year.

This was what i did, as it was my first caravan purchase, took a weekday off work, took my time going from van to van (having done a short list of about 4 of the layouts we were after) and then back again.  Spoke to some dealers.  Then i took the wife and kids back at the weekend, when it was frenetic! to finalise the choice and make the purchase.

The buying experience at the weekend was not great, pretty rushed, salesman constantly looking over your shoulder for his next sale.  That didn't bother me really, but for many I can see that it would so i'd recommend 2 weekdays.  A day to research and a day to negotiate and buy.

We’ve only been once, in 2015, looking to buy our first caravan and it was with the intention of comparing all the vans we’d looked at online. 

We spent the morning browsing, decided on the van we wanted, then after lunch went and bought it. Cash buyers, dealers were tripping over themselves to get our business, we got a heck of a good deal, not from a local dealer, but within easy distance. Didn’t feel rushed or pressured by the sales guys we bought from, quite the opposite, they were very laidback, witty and had all the time in the world for our newbie questions. 

Never been back as we chose well, got a good van and have no desire to change it 

Its a good place to see all the different vans on offer, but does get very crowded. Not interested in another van so I will not go.

I am going to the Classic Car show in November. Unfortunately the  NEC charge an excessive £16 to park. Luckily my train fare from home is less , so will probably do that.

Last year we took our van to Kingsbury Water Park and my wife dropped me off and picked me up at The Hilton by the NEC while she did her own thing. Had a nice break too.

21 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

Its a good place to see all the different vans on offer, but does get very crowded. Not interested in another van so I will not go.

I am going to the Classic Car show in November. Unfortunately the  NEC charge an excessive £16 to park. Luckily my train fare from home is less , so will probably do that.

Last year we took our van to Kingsbury Water Park and my wife dropped me off and picked me up at The Hilton by the NEC while she did her own thing. Had a nice break too.

Surely cheaper to go to the British motor car museum at Gaydon which is just down the way from the NEC?

Had to cancel my two day booking at Kingsbury this week as my caravan is still off the road , looking at November now for it to be fixed 🤬🤬, I’ve booked in one night at a nearby Premier inn so that we can get into the NEC before the doors for the show open , maybe have a coffee at Wetherspoons , as others have said it can get very busy , we are there Wednesday which does tend to be slightly quieter but full of wrinklies like me who are maybe not as agile as some younger folk , hence slower queues 😎😎.

If you're serious about buying don't take kids, it's a big decision you need time to look, Talk and consider without pressure of watching kids.

Last Oct show cost me £26k😁

• Like 1

Been with kids, they get bored quick.

No one has mentioned but caravan warranties are not like cars. The  supplying dealer is in the main the only person who will do warranty work, therefore please bear this in mind if you get a great deal but the dealer is miles away.

Going for opening gives you an hour or so , likewise late afternoon can chill a bit.

As others have said try and make a list of vans to see, once you get an idea of which one you like then find a dealer that works for you with the best deal.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this