Motorhome & Caravan Show 2019 - NEC

Bodster

Hi all,

Wife and I would like to go to this show this year, we’ve never been before so wondered if anybody clear up the following:

How busy does it get? We have been to the good food show at the NEC where you can barely walk round as it is so busy - is this show like that?

We are planning to go on the Saturday due to work and school commitments - yes, we are planning to take our 5 and 3 year old with us - is this wise?

TIA.

It does get quite busy, there are queues for (expensive) food and nowhere to sit down to rest your legs. I honestly think young kids will get bored quickly as you need at least four hours to see everything. 

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

17 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

It does get quite busy, there are queues for (expensive) food and nowhere to sit down to rest your legs. I honestly think young kids will get bored quickly as you need at least four hours to see everything. 

No seating and expensive food are our bugbears!

Agree really small ones would get bored and hot....we ended up sitting on floor to eat our sandwiches until a dealer offered free tea and a seat...Yes,it is a half day job at least and yes it is busy busy.....nevertheless,we always enjoyed it.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We are off to The Lawns Show next weekend (only 2nd visit here) after going to the NEC for many years, we usually go on the Wednesday as its quieter but I have been told and also other posters here that is gets very busy at the weekends. 

Hope you enjoy the show.

You need to get to NEC early and know what models you want to see in advance and look at them straight away before just wandering . Weekends can get packed and viewings can be slow going when you have to share the space with about ten people . It would take days to see everything in all the halls and areas .

I have to hold onto the hand of wife as it can get that busy in areas you can loose each other .

Food is available at the venue but majority of people just take a sandwich but be prepared to sit on the carpet floor .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Take your own food,  but get your hand stamped and go out into the concourse and eat out there, you can usually find a bench or a perch, and it is a welcome break from the bustle.

Do go early.

It is massive so have a plan of attack, especially as you are taking small children.  If your 3 year old has largely outgrown a buggy, take one anyway as there is a lot of walking; and it will get crowded, so having him/her corralled in a buggy will save constantly having to hold hands so he/she doesn’t get lost.

If you are just going for a few hours browsing, fine, if you are planning to scour the show and possibly purchase, then leave the little ones with relatives, if at all possible as they will get  very fed up.

If you buy accessories, there is generally a place to drop off and pick up later to save carrying them around.

I think it is a great day out, but you need to have a military operation style plan, otherwise you will spend hours just wandering.

Enjoy

nanamel

Also remember.  Its the Motorhome & Caravan show.  So basically, there's more motorhomes than caravans.  However, go in February and its the Caravan & Motorhome show.  So basically, more caravans than motorhomes

This time round, I was thinking of going.  But for the first time ever, will be on my own as my hubby sadly passed away earlier this month.  So thought I would go and wander, but will definitely be going mid-week.  But still thinking about it

Edited by Babstreefern

So sorry to here about your loss Babstreefern.  The “first times” are the hardest.  Best wishes

nanamel 

Cheers Nanamel.   I like going just to look at the various caravan site stalls.  I remember going to the February show years ago, when it was the Caravan, camping and boat show.  That was when it was a really brilliant show.

On 31/08/2019 at 08:30, Bodster said:

Hi all,

Wife and I would like to go to this show this year, we’ve never been before so wondered if anybody clear up the following:

How busy does it get? We have been to the good food show at the NEC where you can barely walk round as it is so busy - is this show like that?

We are planning to go on the Saturday due to work and school commitments - yes, we are planning to take our 5 and 3 year old with us - is this wise?

TIA.

One tip is choose a meeting point between the wife and yourself if you get separated to meet up like a stand or area . I have had it myself if one stops to look at something on a stall and the other is walking in the masses .

59 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

One tip is choose a meeting point between the wife and yourself if you get separated to meet up like a stand or area . I have had it myself if one stops to look at something on a stall and the other is walking in the masses .

That reminds me I need to visit the NEC to see if OH is still there after our visit in 2015.  :D

It certainly can get busy.

Not sure if you really get a good deal buying at the show, last time I bought there it was very rushed.

It is difficult to get time to sit in a van and get time to Talk the van through with senior management (OH).

I am intending to go round the dealers this time, and see all the vans I want, then crunch numbers on our selected van.

We've taken our then 3 year old to the NEC on a Saturday.

It's only really busy in certain areas and at certain times. The main problem is that we didn't get chance for both of us to look at the same caravan in detail at the same time as one of us would always be supervising the young one.

We did get a good deal, but you could definitely also get a good deal away from the show. The main advantage is being able to quickly compare mult models and, potentially play dealers off against each other on price etc.

Food is expensive. There is a Wetherspoons but it has a much limited menu that is pricier than normal branches.

Edit: there are some kids activities, like climbing wall and some stands give balloons and facepainting. Balloons seem to be much coveted 

Edited by svimes

16 hours ago, Tradewinds said:

It certainly can get busy.

Not sure if you really get a good deal buying at the show, last time I bought there it was very rushed.

It is difficult to get time to sit in a van and get time to Talk the van through with senior management (OH).

I am intending to go round the dealers this time, and see all the vans I want, then crunch numbers on our selected van.

The best is to visit a dealership prior to the show and have a good look around the caravan that may interest you and then go to the show to play one dealer up against another, but always settle on one that is not too far from home. 

17 hours ago, Durbanite said:

That reminds me I need to visit the NEC to see if OH is still there after our visit in 2015.  :D

If she's like mine check the clothing stalls . It normally goes when lost  " I was only looking at a top " .

Dave

My advice would be to leave the children with friends or relatives. Visiting an NEC caravan show with children on Saturday should be categorised as Child Cruelty and appropriately punished.

Eat and drink in the concourse or sandwiches you have taken with you and take regular breaks there.

Show no indications to dealers  that you may be even vaguely interested in  their products. Ask many questions and collect leaflets.

Sign nothing, leave credit cards at home.

Take everything that a salesmen tells you a huge bucket of salt.

During the Winter you will be able to prepare for your next NEC visit in February.

6 hours ago, DeeTee said:

My advice would be to leave the children with friends or relatives. Visiting an NEC caravan show with children on Saturday should be categorised as Child Cruelty and appropriately punished.

Cheers!

We only took the one but Lady Vimes was 7 months pregnant.

6 hours ago, DeeTee said:

Eat and drink in the concourse or sandwiches you have taken with you and take regular breaks there.

Show no indications to dealers  that you may be even vaguely interested in  their products. Ask many questions and collect leaflets.

Sign nothing, leave credit cards at home.

Take everything that a salesmen tells you a huge bucket of salt.

During the Winter you will be able to prepare for your next NEC visit in February.

We are now considering taking a day off work each and leaving kids at childcare (no family live nearby).

Plan isn’t to buy a caravan until late 2020, so going this time round as a prospective customer to look at various models, layouts and understand level of discount available at shows with so we can go reasonably informed next year.

13 hours ago, Bodster said:

Plan isn’t to buy a caravan until late 2020, so going this time round as a prospective customer to look at various models, layouts and understand level of discount available at shows with so we can go reasonably informed next year.

That plan may fall apart when you start viewing caravans at the show.  LOL!  :D

On 03/09/2019 at 10:04, Durbanite said:

That plan may fall apart when you start viewing caravans at the show.  LOL!  :D

Yep :blush: :blush:

We go to at least one NEC show most years. Our nearest dealer is about 15 miles away and they only sell two brands and obviously don't have every different model on display. The next nearest ones would be at least 25 miles away, so for us the shows are the easiest way to see what's available. Its a good,though tiring day out. We sometimes go on the Sunday, the last day and rarely have much trouble seeing everything we want. We try to get there about 9.30 to give us time to have a breakfast before we go in. Last time we bought some chairs, some Milenco mirrors, a hitch cover and joined the Caravan Club, so managed to get  rid of some unwanted money even though we didn't see a caravan we liked better than the one we've got. 

Majority of times, you can visit various dealerships when the show is on, as they have models which coincide with the show and have the exact same priced caravans and deals