Jump to content
a18041967

Uk or Europe next year?

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Odd days said:

If you can not afford it don’t have pets. Fair does not come in to much these days. Take it or leave it . That’s life now 

It’s nothing to do with affording it, £50 is peanuts to me but I don’t like being ripped off for anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

It’s nothing to do with affording it, £50 is peanuts to me but I don’t like being ripped off for anything.

Are you beginning to realise what it’s like from where I am standing. Paying for stuff that has nothing to do with me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

It’s nothing to do with affording it, £50 is peanuts to me but I don’t like being ripped off for anything.

 

So if YOU were the ferry/tunnel operator would you be happy, without any payment from HM Govt, employ someone to check all the paperwork and then submit it all to DFRA (or whoever)  Of course not, so why shouldn’t those who use the service have to pay for it? and not be subsidised by the majority of NON pet owning travellers.

 

Its not just the persons salary that has to be covered, there’s NI payments, additional IT to record the information, employees pension contributions, plus any other employee “benefits” such as Health Care etc, then there is the need for holiday cover the list goes on and on. Clearly you have never had to employ others or you would appreciate all of the “add on” costs that adding a single employee entails

 

I f you don’t like it leave your dog at home! 

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:56, svimes said:

-we want some warmth and dry weather

 

Found when holidaying in France, whether in the south or east or west, the weather seems to be getting as bad as this country, so we have not been to France for about 5 years now, and all I read is the horrible weather that people are having, and we in the UK, seem to be better, although this year, its not been so nice a summer, only odd days of hot weather

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am currently just South of La Rochelle on the coast. They have had a scorching summer with no rain for months (and the ground is as hard as concrete!) 

It’s currently clear blue sky and 21°, which isn’t too shabby for 17:30, and,   according to my weather app, is currently a fair bit better than anywhere in the U.K. 

Friends were just outside Aix-En-Provence in May, it was 45°+ for just about all of their stay! 

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

Apparently the U.K. Govt requires that the ferry and tunnel operators carry out all of the various paperwork checks in respect of pets crossing the channel and then supply the details to the relevant Govt Dept, but it  DOESNT pay them anything for doing that work, hence the traveller has to pay  the tunnel/ferry operators admin costs! 

 

Andy

 

The tunnel charge when you take a dog from England when they don't do anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

So if YOU were the ferry/tunnel operator would you be happy, without any payment from HM Govt, employ someone to check all the paperwork and then submit it all to DFRA (or whoever)  Of course not, so why shouldn’t those who use the service have to pay for it? and not be subsidised by the majority of NON pet owning travellers.

 

Its not just the persons salary that has to be covered, there’s NI payments, additional IT to record the information, employees pension contributions, plus any other employee “benefits” such as Health Care etc, then there is the need for holiday cover the list goes on and on. Clearly you have never had to employ others or you would appreciate all of the “add on” costs that adding a single employee entails

 

I f you don’t like it leave your dog at home! 

 

Andy

You can’t honestly tell me that a 10 second admin check in France and absolutely zero checks in the UK is worth £50, if it is I’m in the wrong job.

6 minutes ago, AndersG said:

 

The tunnel charge when you take a dog from England when they don't do anything.

Exactly £25 for NOTHING, it’s a scam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

So if YOU were the ferry/tunnel operator would you be happy, without any payment from HM Govt, employ someone to check all the paperwork and then submit it all to DFRA (or whoever)  Of course not, so why shouldn’t those who use the service have to pay for it?

Andy

 

I’m sorry but isn’t that what every business in the U.K. does for TAX, N.I and where applicable VAT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

 

I’m sorry but isn’t that what every business in the U.K. does for TAX, N.I and where applicable VAT?

 

Yes indeed, and all of those costs need to be covered by the ferry operators. An additional  member of staff incurs extra costs. 

 

2 hours ago, AndersG said:

 

The tunnel charge when you take a dog from England when they don't do anything.

 

I believe the ferry operators also charge for outbound dogs? Not having a dog I have always assumed (dangerous I know) that anyone taking a pet out of the U.K. has to provide some form of documentation in respect of it before departing. So are you saying that you just turn up and drive on without any checks? Every time I leave via Poole I am always asked if I have a dog, hence the above assumption. Happy to be corrected.

 

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You can’t honestly tell me that a 10 second admin check in France and absolutely zero checks in the UK is worth £50, if it is I’m in the wrong job.

Exactly £25 for NOTHING, it’s a scam

 

Those are, to the best of my understanding, part of the “rules of Carriage” that the operators impose. As I said earlier, if you don’t like them either leave the dog at home or don’t travel. It really is as simple as that, you can moan and whinge all you like, nothing is going to change so suck it up! 

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

Yes indeed, and all of those costs need to be covered by the ferry operators. An additional  member of staff incurs extra costs. 

 

 

I believe the ferry operators also charge for outbound dogs? Not having a dog I have always assumed (dangerous I know) that anyone taking a pet out of the U.K. has to provide some form of documentation in respect of it before departing. So are you saying that you just turn up and drive on without any checks? Every time I leave via Poole I am always asked if I have a dog, hence the above assumption. Happy to be corrected.

 

 

Those are, to the best of my understanding, part of the “rules of Carriage” that the operators impose. As I said earlier, if you don’t like them either leave the dog at home or don’t travel. It really is as simple as that, you can moan and whinge all you like, nothing is going to change so suck it up! 

 

Andy

I agree there should be a charge but £50 is extortionate, there are no physical checks or extra staff in the UK you just confirm you have a pet at the automated check in booth.

 

You don’t have a dog??? I would’ve never have guessed 😂😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I believe the ferry operators also charge for outbound dogs? Not having a dog I have always assumed (dangerous I know) that anyone taking a pet out of the U.K. has to provide some form of documentation in respect of it before departing. So are you saying that you just turn up and drive on without any checks? Every time I leave via Poole I am always asked if I have a dog, hence the above assumption. Happy to be corrected.

 

Andy

 

No one checks anything going from England on the tunnel.

I've not used the Dover- Calais ferries for years but as far as I can recall they never checked anything there.

The ferries to Spain they have checked in the past at checkin.

No idea about the western ferry routes to France since I've never used them and I'm not likely to use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AndersG said:

No one checks anything going from England on the tunnel.

I've not used the Dover- Calais ferries for years but as far as I can recall they never checked anything there.

The ferries to Spain they have checked in the past at checkin.

No idea about the western ferry routes to France since I've never used them and I'm not likely to use them.

It all depends on the port, route, current threat level and current intelligence. I have been randomly checked for explosives (steering wheel swab) at the Channel Tunnel but that’s one time out of about 20 crossings. Similar with Harwich to Hook of Holland, one random check in the van and caravan and on another crossing a random DEFRA spot check; considering we use that route around 5 times a year, the inconvenience is of little consequence. 

The Poole to France route monitor dogs as do some of the other south coast routes as Defra set a maximum limit of dogs on the ferry over and above the maximum per vehicle. I know for a fact that on Newhaven to Dieppe they are only allowed to transport 15 dogs per crossing. 

But from uk it’s all relatively simple. Try crossing the border into Russia where even on a good day with no vehicle searches it takes 3 hours just to process paperwork; we usually set aside an entire day just for the border checks. That said, I’d rather the UK ports were a little more thorough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LloydGSP said:

It all depends on the port, route, current threat level and current intelligence. I have been randomly checked for explosives (steering wheel swab) at the Channel Tunnel but that’s one time out of about 20 crossings. Similar with Harwich to Hook of Holland, one random check in the van and caravan and on another crossing a random DEFRA spot check; considering we use that route around 5 times a year, the inconvenience is of little consequence. 

The Poole to France route monitor dogs as do some of the other south coast routes as Defra set a maximum limit of dogs on the ferry over and above the maximum per vehicle. I know for a fact that on Newhaven to Dieppe they are only allowed to transport 15 dogs per crossing. 

But from uk it’s all relatively simple. Try crossing the border into Russia where even on a good day with no vehicle searches it takes 3 hours just to process paperwork; we usually set aside an entire day just for the border checks. That said, I’d rather the UK ports were a little more thorough. 

Our Dieppe to Newhaven crossing, with our Gobur Folding Caravan on 19th July was searched. Had to open Gobby up in case a 30kg 60cm tall dwarf with a chest cavity of 15 cms maximum had stowed away ... There is virtually no space once the caravan is folded, [just one footprint to get inside the door, and the remaining space is on top of the sink unit, hence 60cm x 15cm, and I'm not too sure about the 30kg weight limit!].

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Well I am currently just South of La Rochelle on the coast. They have had a scorching summer with no rain for months (and the ground is as hard as concrete!) 

It’s currently clear blue sky and 21°, which isn’t too shabby for 17:30, and,   according to my weather app, is currently a fair bit better than anywhere in the U.K. 

Friends were just outside Aix-En-Provence in May, it was 45°+ for just about all of their stay! 

 

Andy

Are you at Port Punay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Are you at Port Punay?

 

Certainly am!! 

 

If we are in the area this is always our site of  choice. Everything just feels “right” 

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

Our Dieppe to Newhaven crossing, with our Gobur Folding Caravan on 19th July was searched. Had to open Gobby up in case a 30kg 60cm tall dwarf with a chest cavity of 15 cms maximum had stowed away ... There is virtually no space once the caravan is folded, [just one footprint to get inside the door, and the remaining space is on top of the sink unit, hence 60cm x 15cm, and I'm not too sure about the 30kg weight limit!].

Steve

Oddly we were searched earlier this year as we LEFT Harwich. I questioned why they would look for stowaways and was told that the night before, 4 illegal immigrants had hidden themselves in a yacht that was being taken by ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland; apparently the 4 guys had reached the UK and decided it wasn’t all they expected so had decided to return to the continent!! That was a new one on me but must admit, I can’t say as I blame them 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they charge for dogs if you take them to Southern Ireland ROI?  They are in the EU and we never had our dogs checked.  I don't think there was a charge by the ferry company either for them being transported in the vehicle to from Pembroke to Rosslare?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Do they charge for dogs if you take them to Southern Ireland ROI?  They are in the EU and we never had our dogs checked.  I don't think there was a charge by the ferry company either for them being transported in the vehicle to from Pembroke to Rosslare?

UK and Ireland have the 'Common Travel Area' agreement which pre-dated Shengen et al, I believe. There are obviously special sensitivities around the GFA etc and I suspect that the EU may have turned a blind eye to the dog checking, not least because of the practical difficulties of ascertaining whether the dog is destined for the North or South.

UK becomes a standard 3rd country after 31st October [current timetable ...], and the thorny issue of the sanitary and phytosanitary checks and the Irish Backstop connection may come into play. Perhaps matters will become clearer shortly. We can but hope.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

UK and Ireland have the 'Common Travel Area' agreement which pre-dated Shengen et al, I believe. There are obviously special sensitivities around the GFA etc and I suspect that the EU may have turned a blind eye to the dog checking, not least because of the practical difficulties of ascertaining whether the dog is destined for the North or South.

UK becomes a standard 3rd country after 31st October [current timetable ...], and the thorny issue of the sanitary and phytosanitary checks and the Irish Backstop connection may come into play. Perhaps matters will become clearer shortly. We can but hope.

Steve

Update: Someone posting BTL in the 'Politics Live' Blog says his car was searched, and his animals checked [no more details provided in the post] when he sailed on the Cairnryan crossing last weekend.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...