a18041967

Uk or Europe next year?

Just coming to the end of our 2 week stay in France and for the first time ever I'm really questioning if I will holiday in Europe next year. The reason being the over all cost....

Firstly the exchange rate almost 1 euro to £1, this results in a tank of petrol costing £60 compare to £40

Petrol prices generally increased and the best diesel rate we found was €1.37, previously it was closer to €1.20.

Eating out has increased and this combined with the poor exchange rate meant we went out far less.

The 11 night pitch fees was €500 so £500, and this did not include the €39 overnight stops.

So add all this up and its no longer a cheap holiday, almost the same cost as our Thailand holiday in April.

So next year its not going to get any cheaper, exchange rate to become even worse. So I'm considering booking flights to the Far East before the end of October could be far cheaper and holidaying in the UK.

• Like 1

You have to do what you think is best.

For us, it will be mainland Europe in the van, hopefully. Because:

-we have the van, so it's daft not to use it

-we want some warmth and dry weather

-it's still cheaper than a package holiday (especially when you factor in the ability to take bikes, the fact you get your own personal bar with outside deck etc)

-it's cheaper than self catering in the UK

-uk caravan holidays with kids can be more expensive, busier and much more stressful than e.g. France.

I think the this year we spent a bit more on our sites: one at €40 another at €50 (both with pools, one excellent) and a stopover at €35. The 5* site came free with the ferry! But we spent less on food. Prices seemed no worse than last year, we only ate out twice and we wasted less. We found attractions sensibly priced (less than €10) and parking either free or sensible. Traveling is more than here but less annoying.

• Like 1

I put off this year going to Europe because of confusion including Ireland so next year definitely off to Europe .So next year Europe and 2500 ml tour of Ireland .

Dave

31 minutes ago, svimes said:

You have to do what you think is best.

:goodpost:

We've stayed in the UK this year but primarily because of medical issues, as costs can to an extent be budgeted for if you really want to visit a particular location in the world.

Gone are the days when we got 12 Francs to the pound and France was a cheap and convenient location.

19 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I put off this year going to Europe because of confusion including Ireland so next year definitely off to Europe .So next year Europe and 2500 ml tour of Ireland .

Dave

Is there 2500 miles in Ireland, I have been there a couple of times, I lived in the North, and I couldn't find them. :D

My choice of holiday is now always to stay in the UK. After 40 odd years I still havn't seen all of it.

• +1 2

France on the motorbike with the boss on pillion.

At 70 we won't have too many more opportunities ahead of us.

As this is a caravanning forum I had better clarify that we head for somewhere warm and rent a mobile home at off peak rates for a week. Cheapest was £180 at Florac in the Tarn! Included rental of bedding and towels. A wonderful week riding round the gorges and vulture spotting.

• Like 2

Have tried Bridlington, but prefer Provence.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I believe the cost is mostly influenced by children.  If you have to go in high season and want the bells and whistles sites, then it’s very expensive, but perhaps it becomes value for money if it keeps the kids happy.

When working we had to go in term time but we only need basic quiet sites.  Now we can go in low season for about 6 weeks.  And although costs have risen, it is doable.

John

We will be off over the channel again next year for our usual 6 - 8 week trip BREXIT or not.

Retirement is a wonderful thing  and it means we can go off peak and enjoy fully serviced pitches averaging around €22.00 per night in beautiful locations with glorious weather and as long as we don't eat in restaurants too often it is almost as cheap as being at home.

We explore the local areas on foot and settle in for the warm evening under the awning canopy for a lovely home cooked meal of fresh local produce and wine.

It is surprising how good a meal for 2 you can produce for  under €20  (inc wine) and add to that the company of a beautiful wife with some classic tracks from our music collection and watching the sun set over Lake Garda or the Med who can ask for more?

We have never had a TV with us and never will.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

I believe the cost is mostly influenced by children.  If you have to go in high season and want the bells and whistles sites, then it’s very expensive, but perhaps it becomes value for money if it keeps the kids happy.

When working we had to go in term time but we only need basic quiet sites.  Now we can go in low season for about 6 weeks.  And although costs have risen, it is doable.

John

Totally agree.

And anyway, life is too short to worry about money.

It’s a necessary lubricant for life...we just have to use it where and how it is most beneficial.

We hope to go to France, as we have for decades up till this year, though have some misgivings how well we will be received by those other than the ones directly benefiting from our spending.

We are an age where within reason, any extra cost is very secondary, we can't have the luxury of many more opportunities. Plus, realistically, going as we do  in May through June camping on ACSI the overall extra cost can't be but trivial when set against the depreciation of our kit. We invested it that to use it.

We will follow how our Brit friends permanently living over there find the local attitude to us Brits, if it changes from harmless ridicule to something more sour. This year only medical issues stopped us.

Although not in a caravan, it felt like our holiday in France this year felt cheaper than it did 2 years ago, even though the pound was even worse. I got diesel at Auchan, Cherbourg for €1.33/litre a fortnight ago which when converted to pounds was about 10-12p/litre cheaper.

For me UK = short breaks, EU = summer holiday

We’ve got kids and a typical entry fee for day out in France was around €50. Good luck finding anywhere half decent in the UK where a family of four can get in for less than £100 without some Weetabix voucher or similar!

• +1 1

France next year - no questions asked.

It has got more expensive in some respects - it does help that we use our nationwide cards so get a superb exchange rate in comparison to the open market, I think the lowest was €1.07 to the £. We avoided the Super U and went to Lidl which was gut-burstingly good value.

We ate out but also had loads of BBQ’s (the french BBQ selections are still superb value), went to a few places etc. I only put about €60-70 of diesel in as our drive was 190 miles each way plus biffing about - was still on half a tank nearly two weeks later  until filling up yesterday before an end of summer trip away with the van.

I can’t remember the pitch costs exactly but think it was about £700 for 15 nights and just a little more for the ferry. I know that’s not ‘cheap’ but £1,400 for over two weeks in the summer holiday is incredible value.

However I’m not really looking to do it ‘on the cheap’, it’s our main family holiday and I want to enjoy it. 

Make the choice that’s right for you but for me it’s simple - another wonderful holiday in France beckons 

I can remember when I used to earn enough not to worry about how much it cost but not so now days 

• +1 1

I still need to explore much more of Europe.

It's my cultural heritage and I want to see as much of it as I can before I snuff it.

how much would the same holiday including mileage cost in the UK? You mention £60 for a tank of fuel, I cant fill for that.

macafee2

We made the mistake of deciding not to go France for our normal six weeks in May because we thought the ports etc would still be getting into gear after Brexit at the end of March so we booked sites and paid deposits in Britain. Our holiday was ok, no barbecues until the end, a few days of non stop rain and lots of grey days. It was ok. I don't think that I have ever come back from the continent just saying it was ok.

We couldn't go in September as hubby has had a cataract operation and won't be able to drive for another week or so but we have booked to arrive in Bilbao on 31st October and to hell with Brexit and the exchange rate.

At 76 he may not feel that he wants to drive 'over there' much longer so next year, God willing, we will be there regardless of the cost. I can't see why the locals should treat us any differently to how they have always done, after all are we going to treat people from the continent any differently?

We do not caravan in Europe but we do take holidays in Spain.

We are going in December as usual and we await Ryanair flights being released for summer in 2020.

People went to Europe before the EU !

Brexit or no Brexit  the thing that is harder for many people to get is insurance if of senior age group, when you can prices going up.

Whoo-hooo,   with all you folk off to Europe next year I'll have no trouble booking a pitch here :D

• Haha 1
  • +1 1

13 hours ago, moorgate said:

Have tried Bridlington, but prefer Provence.

Take your point but there isn’t a chippie in Provence anywhere near as good as the 149 in Brid. 

52 minutes ago, joanie said:

Whoo-hooo,   with all you folk off to Europe next year I'll have no trouble booking a pitch here :D

Don't be too sure. We are only going for six weeks [maybe twice] but the rest of the non winter months we will be out and about here.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JTQ said:

We will follow how our Brit friends permanently living over there find the local attitude to us Brits, if it changes from harmless ridicule to something more sour.

I honestly do not think Brexit will change the attitude of our continental friends one iota.  They may have differing political opinions,  but on a personal level they will either engage or ignore us, just as it is now.

John

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Odd days said:

I can remember when I used to earn enough not to worry about how much it cost but not so now days 

I used to have the money but not the time, now I have the time but not as much money. However I don't care, I'm spending what I have on enjoying myself ( with Mrs_at of course)  :)

In the summer we rather caravan in UK but could possibly go north in Europe. We don't much like France and Spain is far to hot in the summer.

Winter we prefer Spain and it's still very cheap once your past France but if there is a crash out Brexit we will be limited to 90 days and we have a house in Spain and don't think we bother taking the van with us unless we go to Morocco and spend a lot of time there.

We went to Scotland this year instead of Europe and had a marvellous 6 weeks. However it was rather more challenging than going to europe in may & june, because of the bank holidays we had to book most of the sites in advance(in March some were already full!) something you don't need to do in France. Also the sites were more expensive, we use the ACSI card in Europe so have never paid more than 19 euros a night.