Another Newbie :)

kahravan

Hello everyone!

This forum is so great for newbies like me. I would like to thank everyone for giving a lot of information.

We (My wife, 4 year old son and me) are not even newbies yet. We haven't towed in our life. We haven't even been in any campsite!  :) But we are planning (not dreaming) to have a 365 days journey around Europe starting on May 2020. I hope you don't think that we are bunch of idiots! (Please support our idea lol)

We have been in some caravan dealers and I think we kind of found our favourite type.

4 berth, end washroom, twin beds, single axle. 

I have some questions if you can answer.

- Can we find any caravan with a layout above under £5.000? 

- If yes can you suggest me some brands and models?

- Would you suggest us to choose another layout?

- Do you think if we are dreaming?

Thank you very much in advance for your time. 

Well for me I wouldn't support your idea, a 4 year old in my view should be developing friendships for the start of their school life etc, a really important stage.

However, onto the caravan. When did you pass your driving test, have you done an additional towing test to get the B/E on your license (if needed?). What sort of tow car do you have ?

There are plenty of caravans available with the layout you suggest but think through very carefully the practical aspects of 24/7 living, making beds up, space needed 'v' space available etc. 

Come back with more info and I'm sure you will get more advice on here.

Edited by Guest

Our daughter travelled with us and the caravan from a few weeks old until her mid 20s. She had her "caravan friends" her "school friends" and her "other friends". Three groups of friends and she was happy to mix with any of them. We did a lot of rallying when she was young, so she was perfectly use to making new friends on a site and I hope it helped her to join in when she started school. We did travel around Europe a lot so she was exposed to various cultures, languages etc but it doesn't appear to have caused any problems for her. I didn't have the opportunity to spend an entire year away from home in the caravan but while accepting that continuity is important for youngsters, I feel sure she would have been fine if we had stayed away longer.

Before venturing on a long trip, I would strongly suggest getting to know the way things all work, both with the caravan and socially on sites. You should be able to find a caravan that suits your preferred layout but it will probably have side bunk beds and the option of two singles or a double at the front. It would be possible to remove the upper bunk if not needed but I would suggest you don't as the additional bed can be a useful temporary "dumping ground" for coats and various odds and ends when on site.

image.png

This is a typical layout as you have described.

Away in Europe for a year well I guess a lot of other life things to bother about for that in addition to the caravan.

House insurance if you away that long can that be arranged.

Health insurance for you all.

Car and caravan insurance and breakdown.

• Thanks 1

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

We were very happy with our 4 berth Swift Conqueror 530 - big end bathroom, side dinette which converted to bunks for the grandchildren, front lounge which converted to a large double bed...

I say were happy...after spending almost 6 months away this year,  by the end of our trip I was finding it a real bind making the bed and dismantling it every day.  I know it only takes less than 5 minutes at the end of the day or in the morning, but every night and day!

Now we have a Swift Challenger 635 with a mid bathroom and separate end bedroom.

So Kahravan, have a real good mooch around the different layouts available before you part with your money - 12 months is a long trip and any niggles with the caravan layout will only get bigger and bigger as the trip goes on.

However, don't fret about taking your 4 year old away with you, it will be a great 'life' experience. A pal of mine sold everything he and his wife owned, purchased an ocean going yacht and spent two years sailing around the world with their two young children. They arrived back in the UK with a boat and just £30.00. The kids loved it and now, over 40 years later one of their children is doing just the same with his wife and young family...

BTW they are still sailing and have recently commissioned a 10m cabin RIB from Czechoslovakia and are off to Greenland to try it out, and both of them are well over 70.

Chase your dreams NOW while you can...best of luck.

BH 

wow !  that's a big learning curve.  I take it that you are doing a lot of reading up on the matter or is it going to be a case of jumping in at the deep end. What made you want to do a tour of Europe for a year? Below is a link to the Meek family, you may find it interesting. 

http://www.dotrythisathome.com/

Happy Days

On 30/08/2019 at 12:21, Gordon said:

Our daughter travelled with us and the caravan from a few weeks old until her mid 20s. She had her "caravan friends" her "school friends" and her "other friends". Three groups of friends and she was happy to mix with any of them. We did a lot of rallying when she was young, so she was perfectly use to making new friends on a site and I hope it helped her to join in when she started school. We did travel around Europe a lot so she was exposed to various cultures, languages etc but it doesn't appear to have caused any problems for her. I didn't have the opportunity to spend an entire year away from home in the caravan but while accepting that continuity is important for youngsters, I feel sure she would have been fine if we had stayed away longer.

Before venturing on a long trip, I would strongly suggest getting to know the way things all work, both with the caravan and socially on sites. You should be able to find a caravan that suits your preferred layout but it will probably have side bunk beds and the option of two singles or a double at the front. It would be possible to remove the upper bunk if not needed but I would suggest you don't as the additional bed can be a useful temporary "dumping ground" for coats and various odds and ends when on site.

image.png

This is a typical layout as you have described.

Hi Gordon,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience about your child. This helps me a lot! My mind is clearer right now :)

I will be looking for the one with side bunk beds as well.

Thanks again

On 30/08/2019 at 14:19, Blackhart said:

We were very happy with our 4 berth Swift Conqueror 530 - big end bathroom, side dinette which converted to bunks for the grandchildren, front lounge which converted to a large double bed...

I say were happy...after spending almost 6 months away this year,  by the end of our trip I was finding it a real bind making the bed and dismantling it every day.  I know it only takes less than 5 minutes at the end of the day or in the morning, but every night and day!

Now we have a Swift Challenger 635 with a mid bathroom and separate end bedroom.

So Kahravan, have a real good mooch around the different layouts available before you part with your money - 12 months is a long trip and any niggles with the caravan layout will only get bigger and bigger as the trip goes on.

However, don't fret about taking your 4 year old away with you, it will be a great 'life' experience. A pal of mine sold everything he and his wife owned, purchased an ocean going yacht and spent two years sailing around the world with their two young children. They arrived back in the UK with a boat and just £30.00. The kids loved it and now, over 40 years later one of their children is doing just the same with his wife and young family...

BTW they are still sailing and have recently commissioned a 10m cabin RIB from Czechoslovakia and are off to Greenland to try it out, and both of them are well over 70.

Chase your dreams NOW while you can...best of luck.

BH 

Hello Blackhart. Thank you very much for your reply.

Do you think if a fixed bed much more better on a long trip?

Btw thanks for sharing the story of yoyr friend. It helps us a lot to hear similar stories.

On 30/08/2019 at 16:07, joanie said:

wow !  that's a big learning curve.  I take it that you are doing a lot of reading up on the matter or is it going to be a case of jumping in at the deep end. What made you want to do a tour of Europe for a year? Below is a link to the Meek family, you may find it interesting. 

http://www.dotrythisathome.com/

Hi Joanie. Thanks for your answer.

Well we have been thinking about this for a year. I could arrange everything to leave for a year. I started reading nearly everything because I know nothing about it :)

Thanks for sharing the website. Looks great! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2019 at 10:57, kahravan said:

Thanks again

Hello Blackhart. Thank you very much for your reply.

Do you think if a fixed bed much more better on a long trip?

Well, from our experience, yes.

Firstly with the rear bedroom and mid bathroom, I can get up early (as is my habit) and sit in the lounge reading and not disturb SWMBO. If in the evening one of us (usually me) wants to go to bed early they can (also good for an afternoon nap).

Secondly, whilst the lounge area is a little smaller, it actually feels larger as there are effectively 3 rooms in the caravan. We refer to the bedroom as 'the north wing'! If on a long trip you want a bit of 'self time' one of you can go and sit in the bedroom to watch TV or read. This is particularly useful if you are in transit and haven't got the awning out.

Good luck.

KH