TerryR

Truma S3002 Heater Front Cover

I have a Truma S3002 Heater fitted in my Avondale Avocet and it =has performed well for 12 years.

However, I have had a problem recently with the from cover becoming detached while travelling.

I have tried to adjust the spring clips attached to the body of the heater, but with little effect.

I hive thought of adhering some lugs to the front, and screwing it to the surround, but this seems a bit desperate!

Any hints on how to adjust the clips correctly would be welcome.

Terry Rogers

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, TerryR said:

I have a Truma S3002 Heater fitted in my Avondale Avocet and it =has performed well for 12 years.

However, I have had a problem recently with the from cover becoming detached while travelling.

I have tried to adjust the spring clips attached to the body of the heater, but with little effect.

I hive thought of adhering some lugs to the front, and screwing it to the surround, but this seems a bit desperate!

Any hints on how to adjust the clips correctly would be welcome.

Terry Rogers

Terry

If you look through the casing at the very top, there should be two holes already in the middle of the casing. I’ve screwed through these holes into the wood behind. It’s a bit inconvenient if you have to remove it. But it stays put now.

CDAE0B07-1688-494B-B3DB-BEAE319B66FB.jpeg

Edited by ericfield

Terry I suspect the problem with your heater front may not be the spring clips, but the method of locating the front at its lower corners. The lower corners of the front cover sit on projecting lugs, which are part of the frame permanently attached to the caravan. Check the front corner seatings and the frame lugs are not damaged or broken.

One lower corner of my 14 year old fire front became damaged and although not broken off, it couldn't support the front. Fortunately I was able to remake and strengthen the corner with aluminium angle, Araldite and pop-rivets. Sorry, but I don't have any photographs of the damage or repair.

John.

I had a similar problem, with the cover jumping off after a few heavy potholes.

I eventually realised it was the back (the aluminium housing) itself that was coming away from the van wall, not the cover from the back.

I took the cover off and made some fresh holes and used longer screws to fix the back onto the wall, then put the cover back on. Problem solved.

As ericfield posted fit 2 screws and this will hold the front in position. I had to do the same some years ago. Just don’t forget that they are there when you come to remove it at a later date.😉

Thank you all for the above advice!

I have just been outside and straightened out the lugs at the lower corners of the front, and also run a couple of screws through the holes at the inside top of the cover.

It feels really secure now, and I have every confidence it will stay in place. I replaced the igniter battery before the final screwing up, so that's a potential problem solved!

Finally, may I say what a useful site this is - the help and knowledge which is so freely given is outstanding -thanks again.

Terry Rogers

• Thanks 1