Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

Calor Lite “GB Carriage Only” stencilled on the side

Has anyone thought? that Calor has to do this to comply with some form of  regulations

14 minutes ago, JTQ said:

If it was put on four years back it has worn off my two to the extent there is not the faintest hint of it ever being there, and during refill inspections they must have completely overlooked that failing.

The post by Alde heating refers.

6 hours ago, Alde UK said:

Hello. A customer in our service bay asked if we know anything about this, since we're Gas Safe Registered. Calor Gas made an official statement regarding this stencil in 2015 on Twitter. We thought we'd link you to it, as it might help answer your query before you leave for France.

https://twitter.com/officialcalor/status/603105906176438272?lang=en

EE13F617-7750-4A01-AFFE-57FBFD6F55F5.thumb.png.1a751336f5eb59f61c5b5ee681945175.png

The tweet is dated May 2015.  Clearly some cylinders were marked back then.  When was the general recall and re-release of Lite cylinders?  Perhaps the marking arose from that.

When are Lites scheduled to be permanently withdrawn and replaced with the new (plastic???) version?  

• Confused 1

There is nothing my other TWO lite’s either, hence my raising it bot on here AND with Calor, who have now responded, see below.

Dear Mr Xxxxx

Thank you for the email dated 28th August 2019.

Firstly let me apologise for the service you have received and any inconvenience this may have caused you. We brand ourselves in providing customers’ with a seamless experience and that we value each customer that purchase Calor, so I am sorry to hear of your experience.

In relation to your query ‘GB Carriage Only’ is a requirement specified in UKLPG LGE CoP27 which requires Calor to comply with the Carriage of Dangerous Goods Regulations.

‘Carriage ‘means in connection with business and does not apply to domestic carriage, so you will be able to take the cylinder abroad.  I would advise to check your cylinder alongside your essential accessories/equipment  such as regulator, jubilee clips, etc before you travel.  

Kind Regards

Andrew Reddish 
Customer Standards Administrator 

So there you go everyone  a definitive answer for EVERYONES (not just my) benefit. At least we now know EXACTLY what the significance and meaning of the wording is. Shame there’s been nothing in the Caravan press or on their website about it, not everyone subscribes to Twatter!

Andy 

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

I've not NOTICED it on my cylinders.

But now I can rest easy

Andy,

What is the filled volume of your Calor  Lite?

I found that private vehicles are exempt from the international Carriage of Dangerous Goods regulations BUT  for flammable liquids only up to 60 litres per container and 240 litres per vehicle.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/danger/publi/adr/adr2017/ADR2017E_web.pdf

Just looked at my two Calor lites! Nothing on either of them!

8 minutes ago, kelper said:

Andy,

What is the filled volume of your Calor  Lite?

I found that private vehicles are exempt from the international Carriage of Dangerous Goods regulations BUT  for flammable liquids only up to 60 litres per container and 240 litres per vehicle.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/danger/publi/adr/adr2017/ADR2017E_web.pdf

Kelper

A Calor Lite cylinder contains 6kg of liquified gas so volume wise probably about 6 litres (I am sure someone will be along shortly to provide a definitive answer) 

Calor is liquid petroleum gas (LPG) so I am not sure if it would be classed as a flammable liquid because once exposed to atmospheric temperature it reverts back to its gaseous state (which is 600 times its liquid volume apparently) 

Andy

Eurotunnel allows up to 67kg of propane cylinders which might be related to that 60 litres.  Anyway, we can all travel abroad without worrying thanks to you.

P&O Ferries claim that customers are responsible for complying with the International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG Code).  What a farce!  It is the ship operator who has to ensure compliance.

Edited by kelper

22 minutes ago, svimes said:

I've not NOTICED it on my cylinders.

But now I can rest easy

Probably because, like me it’s not there. 

I had not seen it before (It’s certainly not on my other two cylinders) It’s only on my latest purchase (yesterday) Hence my raising the matter both here and with Calor.

Andy

1 minute ago, kelper said:

Eurotunnel allows up to 67kg of propane which might be related to that 60 litres.  Anyway, we can all travel abroad without worrying thanks to you.

Sounds reasonable, and highly likely!

A dy

Edited by Mr Plodd

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Kelper

A Calor Lite cylinder contains 6kg of liquified gas so volume wise probably about 6 litres (I am sure someone will be along shortly to provide a definitive answer) 

Calor is liquid petroleum gas (LPG) so I am not sure if it would be classed as a flammable liquid because once exposed to atmospheric temperature it reverts back to its gaseous state (which is 600 times its liquid volume apparently) 

Andy

Around 2 liter per kg for propane so close to 12 liters in a lite.

3 minutes ago, kelper said:

Eurotunnel allows up to 67kg of propane which might be related to that 60 litres.  Anyway, we can all travel abroad without worrying thanks to you.

Was 47kg in a single container just a few months ago. 50kg total if more than one container.

1 hour ago, ReggiePerrin said:

You appear not to have actually read what I wrote.  It didn’t preclude getting onto Calor, it merely suggested that perhaps asking the question more broadly first may have yielded an answer.

I did understand, my response remains unchanged.

1 hour ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Who’d have thought Calor would get into having pointless nonsense printed on their gas cylinders eh?

Absolutly.  🤪

John

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

In relation to your query ‘GB Carriage Only’ is a requirement specified in UKLPG LGE CoP27 which requires Calor to comply with the Carriage of Dangerous Goods Regulations.

‘Carriage ‘means in connection with business and does not apply to domestic carriage, so you will be able to take the cylinder abroad.  

2 things occur to me, According to the Alde tweet this has been put on some cylinders for 4 plus years yet it seems to remain a rare occurrence.  Suggesting that Calor, for most of the time, are not conforming with the CoP they quote.  

Next.  I am surprised that Calor could not foresee confusion for their customers and pre-empt issues with a clearer notice.  ie.

GB Carriage Only (refers to business carriage only)

Or similar.  But probably wishful thinking on my part.

John

On 28/08/2019 at 17:33, Mr Plodd said:

Calor is liquid petroleum gas (LPG) so I am not sure if it would be classed as a flammable liquid because once exposed to atmospheric temperature it reverts back to its gaseous state

Calor or any LPG is classed as a Highly Flammable Liquid and is governed by the Highly Flammable Liquids and Liquefied Petroleum Gas Regulations 1972.

It is also governed by Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 , and The Gas Safety (installation and use)Regulations 1998

Propane expands to 250 times its liquid state as a gas.

Therefore  1 Kg  = 1.96 Ltrs,  6Kg = 11.76 Ltrs.

11.76 Ltrs provides 2940 Ltrs of gas.  ( 11.76 x 250 )

Edited by Brecon

On 28/08/2019 at 11:12, Mr Plodd said:

Its just a pity pity that the numpty at the end of the “Live Chat” I had with Calor wasn’t aware of it.

That 'numpty' was more than likely a computer program using artificial intelligence.

BH

Apparently, according to our local Calor dealer this is a part of new export regulations in preparation for leaving the EU.

Post October 31st you'll need to get an export certificate from the local Post Office regarding the transit of flammable goods across external EU borders, along with the payment of a 30 percent tariff to discourage the illegal export of energy non compliant with the EU propane butane mix specification.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, PandR said:

Apparently, according to our local Calor dealer this is a part of new export regulations in preparation for leaving the EU.

Post October 31st you'll need to get an export certificate from the local Post Office regarding the transit of flammable goods across external EU borders, along with the payment of a 30 percent tariff to discourage the illegal export of energy non compliant with the EU propane butane mix specification.

But you are not exporting it, if they were the case you would need an export licence for  the fuel in the car.

Both are being temporarily taken out of the country and will be returned, if you sold either abroad then your post would make sense.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

But you are not exporting it, if they were the case you would need an export licence for  the fuel in the car.

Both are being temporarily taken out of the country and will be returned, if you sold either abroad then your post would make sense.

You will not be returning the energy you took in the LPG bottle or the car fuel, as there is every probability over there you will use at least some of both, otherwise why take any?

Edited by JTQ

3 hours ago, Blackhart said:

That 'numpty' was more than likely a computer program using artificial intelligence.

BH

If it was then someone needs to teach it both spelling AND grammar, both were really bad so it probably was a human! 

19 minutes ago, JTQ said:

You will not be returning the energy you took in the LPG bottle or the car fuel, as there is every probability over there you will use at least some of both, otherwise why take any?

I suspect there is  “maximum quantity”  provision within the regulations to cover small quantities carried in caravans etc (like the 60 litre rule for the tunnel)  don’t you? 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

41 minutes ago, PandR said:

There's a dealer who also didn't know what the stencil meant so made up a story to hide it. The Alde post clearly shows it appeared in 2015....before the referendum!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

So will you need an import licence to bring back what you filled your car up with for the return journey.

No I didn’t think so either :)

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

So will you need an import licence to bring back what you filled your car up with for the return journey.

No I didn’t think so either :)

Does anyone remember Jonathon Routh on Candid camera, (yes a long time ago).  Dressed as customs officers pulling cars over on the A20 after leaving the ferry and questioning them on if they had put French air in their tyres as the would need to pay the relevant duty.

John

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

If it was then someone needs to teach it both spelling AND grammar, both were really bad so it probably was a human! 

Andy

Crikey, I'd have thought you being an ex-policeman would have spotted that! :o

BH

My favourite Candid Camera was when they fitted a car with extra fuel tanks and rolled it downhill into a service station (because the engine bay was now a huge fuel tank.)  The attendant got more and more confused as the gallons dial went round and round.  He even got on his hands and knees to see if petrol was running out of the bottom of the car.

3 hours ago, PandR said:

Wondered how long it would be before someone blamed the "B" word.

As the issue, it would appear, was first raised in 2015 the Calor dealer would be talking an altogether different "B" word.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCloughie said:

Does anyone remember Jonathon Routh on Candid camera, (yes a long time ago).  Dressed as customs officers pulling cars over on the A20 after leaving the ferry and questioning them on if they had put French air in their tyres as the would need to pay the relevant duty.

John

I thought it was the lead balance weights on the wheels they were looking to charge duty on.

The other brilliant one was where they got a butchers shop to take on a new delivery boy. He was issued with a delivery bike and told in no uncertain terms it was very valuable and had to be locked up at all times. Lad duly went out on a delivery and, as instructed, locked the bike to a lamp post. Along came the cc crew, unlocked the padlock and then proceeded to lift the bike over the lamp post so that the post was inside the frame between the crossbar and down tube and rescuer it with the padlock and  chain. The poor delivery boy was very confused when he undid the padlock and chain and tried to mount the bike!!

They did come up with some very clever wheezes, but better than any Jeremy Beadle  did in later years.

Andy