Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

Calor Lite “GB Carriage Only” stencilled on the side

Having just got an exchange cylinder I see that “GB Carriage Only” is stencilled on the side. Does anyone else have a cylinder similarly marked??

I am about to email Calor and ask them the significance/meaning and will post their reply for the info of everyone

Andy

6EE1A57F-3872-45EA-A1E3-2574FBC0C94B.jpeg

Edited by Mr Plodd

Well they don't sell it abroad anyway.

Geoff

• Haha 1

It means you can't go on holiday.:ph34r:

Well I TRIED getting an answer via their “Live Chat” total waste of time, so the below email has now been sent to their customer service dept!!!!

Watch this space!!

Good morning 

I have just had a VERY unsatisfactory “Live chat” with “Billie” I asked for an explanation of the  above words which I have stencilled on an exchange cylinder I purchased yesterday. The only advice he offered was “No you cannot take it abroad” when questioned further he stated he did not have access to that information and I should contact my nearest supply depot. 

Can YOU please advise me as to exactly what those words signify, why they have suddenly appeared and more importantly still, why if indeed I can no longer take a Lite cylinder abroad has this HIGHLY SIGNIFICANT change not been publicised extensively?

I am due to travel to France next Wednesday and it would seem that I cannot take the cylinder I have just paid for. 

A detailed explanation would be appreciated.

I really do not know what the fuss is about.

It is stencilling on a cylinder, it has no significance on the gas inside the van and I am sure if travelling abroad the cylinder will not jump out of the gas locker as you try to board the ferry, neither will it automatically shut down the cylinder when you arrive in France.

Just use it as it is and don't make a mountain out of a  nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • +1 2

Would mean you can't take it to Northern Ireland as GB is England, Scotland and Wales.

So I guess not sold to NI people, are they?

• Confused 1

Hello. A customer in our service bay asked if we know anything about this, since we're Gas Safe Registered. Calor Gas made an official statement regarding this stencil in 2015 on Twitter. We thought we'd link you to it, as it might help answer your query before you leave for France.

https://twitter.com/officialcalor/status/603105906176438272?lang=en

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, David 38 said:

Would mean you can't take it to Northern Ireland as GB is England, Scotland and Wales.

So I guess not sold to NI people, are they?

Really?? Oh purleeese 

This is serious matter that could influence a LOT of people! 

Andy

I'm abroad with a lite but I don't care what it says on it since I never expected to be able to exchange it until I get back to the UK.

• Like 1
  • +1 4

Obviously with the helpful link from Alde and the statement by Calor it  will NOT affect anyone.

Edited by Brecon
  • Like 2
  • +1 1

Just now, Alde UK said:

Hello. A customer in our service bay asked if we know anything about this, since we're Gas Safe Registered. Calor Gas made an official statement regarding this stencil in 2015 on Twitter. We thought we'd link you to it, as it might help answer your query before you leave for France.

Thanks for that!! 

Its just a pity pity that the numpty at the end of the “Live Chat” I had with Calor wasn’t aware of it. Seems odd that Calor are suddenly labelling the cylinders thus after many years without. My two other Lite’s are not marked that way! 

Thanks again for the link.

ai will still post the reply I get from Calor UK

Andy

Perhaps it relates only to commercial transport in bulk.  CDG does not apply to private cars.  The UN cose requires certain precautions for transport of propane - S2 and S20.  These refer to sparkproof tools and vehicle security.  I don't think Eurotunnel or the ferries would want a wagon carrying hundreds of gas cylinders.  

Mine have had that on them for years and been abroad a lot.

NI don’t do lites but will fill the hem if you can give them hem a week.

Ian

10 minutes ago, Alde UK said:

Why not on steel ones then?

• +1 2

37 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thanks for that!! 

Its just a pity pity that the numpty at the end of the “Live Chat” I had with Calor wasn’t aware of it. Seems odd that Calor are suddenly labelling the cylinders thus after many years without. My two other Lite’s are not marked that way! 

Thanks again for the link.

ai will still post the reply I get from Calor UK

Andy

Andy, as a "safety precaution"why not decant the new cylinder contents in to one that isn't stenciled :) :) :) :)

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Why not on steel ones then?

Because, if I remember correctly, Calor Lite was developed for the UK leisure market, namely caravans and motorhomes to try and reduce weight.

The steel cylinders were and are for general use by all kinds of users.

As your cylinder looks brand new (shiny-shiny) I don't think you will have any trouble.  Which  ferry company will you use?

I looked at Eurotunnel regs and they don't restrict any 'type' of cylinder.  But if it were me I'd turn the cylinder so that text was hard to see :D

If it's legal in the UK it's legal anywhere in the EU.

Edited by kelper
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brecon said:

Calor Lite was developed for the UK leisure market, namely caravans and motorhomes to try and reduce weight.

There is a member on CT that might say people should buy a German caravan. Can't remember who it is though:ph34r::D

I now exit stage left ...........................

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Brecon said:

I really do not know what the fuss is about.

It is stencilling on a cylinder, it has no significance on the gas inside the van and I am sure if travelling abroad the cylinder will not jump out of the gas locker as you try to board the ferry, neither will it automatically shut down the cylinder when you arrive in France.

Just use it as it is and don't make a mountain out of a  nothing.

Yet again I am criticised for attempting to gain information that SOME might find helpful.

I had already decided that this cylinder was going into my gas locker and taken to France. 

HOWEVER some caravanners are, shall we say “nervous” individuals, who MIGHT get themselves worked up into a state over the wording. So, being the kind hearted soul that I am I thought I would try and get a definitive answer out of Calor. Sadly the numpty I got into an “Instant Chat” with didn’t have a clue. Being someone not easily put off I decided to pursue it a bit further FOR THE BENEFIT OF OTHERS! 

Have YOU done anything similar?

Andy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Yet again I am criticised for attempting to gain information that SOME might find helpful.

In fairness, the question was asked of and answered by Calor some four years ago.  Based on that, the stencilling hasn’t ‘suddenly appeared’ on cylinders and neither are Calor attempting to restrict the use of ‘Lite’.

Although you nor many others (including me) may have known that, it perhaps would  have been better to raise the question here and follow up with Calor afterwards if nobody knew anything about it.

After all, there can’t be much in the world of caravanning that isn’t contained in the vast knowledge base of the CT membership.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I had already decided that this cylinder was going into my gas locker and taken to France. 

HOWEVER some caravanners are, shall we say “nervous” individuals, who MIGHT get themselves worked up into a state over the wording. So, being the kind hearted soul that I am I thought I would try and get a definitive answer out of Calor. Sadly the numpty I got into an “Instant Chat” with didn’t have a clue. Being someone not easily put off I decided to pursue it a bit further FOR THE BENEFIT OF OTHERS! 

Have YOU done anything similar?

Andy

Andy you're getting into a tizz again, you have to accept that Brecon and  some other folk have a different view of things sometimes. The gas doesn't bother me as I don't go abroad with a caravan, however  IMO those words must have been put on there for a reason. Calor gas say it's okay but bring the cylinder home with you and then goes on to say,  @SomersetCamper We also advise that you double check with the service provider of your form of travel to ensure it's all OK to travel with.  I will therefore be interested to see what Calor Gas has to say to you. 

1 minute ago, ReggiePerrin said:

In fairness, the question was asked of and answered by Calor some four years ago.  Based on that, the stencilling hasn’t ‘suddenly appeared’ 

Well I never knew about it and it has not been on any of the cylinders I have had.  If Calor has provided an answer in the past, what prevents them doing so now.  The message written on the bottle is nonsense and pointless.  Just where is Calor’s answer.

I would have taken Mr Plodds route, seems the most sensible to me.  If the question is asked on CT the answer is very often hearsay and without qualification.

John

• Like 1
  • +1 6

I'm with Andy on this one.  The Twitter response was wholly inadequate and quite dismissive.  The trouble with most customer services people is that they have no technical knowledge.  Those in the company who do know won't Talk to the public (and may not be allowed to by their pegal teams). 

Older Police Officers don't 'get in a tizzy'.  

I'm like Andy, I try and hold big companies to account.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JCloughie said:

Well I never knew about it and it has not been on any of the cylinders I have had.  If Calor has provided an answer in the past, what prevents them doing so now.  The message written on the bottle is nonsense and pointless.  Just where is Calor’s answer.

I would have taken Mr Plodds route, seems the most sensible to me.  If the question is asked on CT the answer is very often hearsay and without qualification.

John

You appear not to have actually read what I wrote.  It didn’t preclude getting onto Calor, it merely suggested that perhaps asking the question more broadly first may have yielded an answer.

You clearly know more than you are letting on though with your unambiguous assertion that:

2 hours ago, JCloughie said:

The message written on the bottle is nonsense and pointless.  

Who’d have thought Calor would get into having pointless nonsense printed on their gas cylinders eh?

Edited by ReggiePerrin
  • Haha 1

If it was put on four years back it has worn off my two to the extent there is not the faintest hint of it ever being there, and during refill inspections they must have completely overlooked that failing.

• Like 2