Sign in to follow this  
Lureman

to join or not to join ?!?

We are picking our first caravan up in a week or so, we are intending to use the van all year round, what are the benifits of joining a club ?

The caravan and motor home club (CMC) gives discounts for members on their sites.

There's no need to pay a deposit, simply cancel 72 hours in advance to avoid being in their black book.

You always know what you are going to get with their sites.

Also, If you intend travelling abroad they do good discounts for ferries, especially if you also book a couple of overseas sites through them.

The magazine is pants  B)

• Like 2

Lureman, from the many similar discussions on this forum in the past it seems that quite a large majority who join one or other of the 2 major clubs do so for the ancillaries like van & car insurance, recovery services, new car & ferry discounts, foreign holidays and meets & THSs.

John

I’m a member of both the Caravan and Motorhome Club (CMC) and the Camping and Caravanning Club (C&CC)

I insure with the CMC but rarely use their site these days.  The CMC charges a standard fee same with or, if you opt out of it, without their magazine.  

My membership with C&CC is ‘paperless’ (so no silly magazine) at a reduced membership fee compared to their standard  ‘with monthly magazine’ membership fee.   

Both have their pros and cons, each one has sites where the other doesn’t which extends choice and largely, a good standard of pitches and facilities are provided by both.  Some say that the CMC sites are more ‘regimented’ than those of the C&CC but largely I find them much of a muchness.   I have never encountered a warden at either of the clubs’ sites that I'd wish never to encounter again 

It is worth saying too that many non club sites are the equal of club sites, quite often at a lower or similar price per night per pitch.  I tend towards these sites or C&CC sites these days but because I insure with CMC I’ll keep that membership going too.

Some, but not all of the main club sites are open to non members  at increased fees which could be an easy way to get a taster of major club sites.

Members get access to rallies and CL/CS. We never go to normal sites in the UK.

I joined the CMC purely because of the discounts I get on Ferry and Tunnel crossings. Membership is around 50 quid and I get that back on my first cross Channel booking. I have a few German friends who also like to visit the UK who do the same. I really like the 'Regimented' approach of Clubsites, not everyone's cup of tea I know but it works for me. You also know what you're going to get before you get there (modern clean toilets and showers, decent sized well maintained pitches, decent access around the site etc).

My Mrs likes reading the 'free' magazine.

It all depends on what you like to do, if you like peace, quiet, order and rules go to a CMC site, if you like all day drinking, partying all night, general disorder and dirty toilet blocks chose a commercial site like Haven.

• Like 3

We join both clubs for the CL and CS network of small sites.

We also join CMC for the ferry discount and breakdown cover. 

The club sites hold little attraction but some seem to think they are worth the cost.

It all depends on what you like to do, if you like peace, quiet, order and rules go to a CMC site, if you like all day drinking, partying all night, general disorder and dirty toilet blocks chose a commercial site like Haven.

One exception to the above is Clumber Park during Bank holidays, at which Non Members are welcome.:( Many of the feral non member visitors when I visited, over a Bank holiday, don't seem to read or comply with  site rules. The warden team have a very difficult job especially when 150 outfits can arrive on a peak arrival day. There is a great deal of people smuggling to avoid per capita fees causing revenue loss.