Hot water overflowing?

Doosan

Hi all, I’m in the Dordogne and about an hour ago my pump started cycling every 5 minutes or so. I checked for leaks nothing checked the filter connection all was fine (New O rings 6 weeks ago) but I could hear slow dripping from underneath. When I checked, it was coming from the hot water tank. I have turned the hot water off and will have a good look in the morning. Can anyone help me with some ideas as to what might be causing this issue and possibly how to sort it out. It’s a Truma 10 Ltr tank. 

Thanks for any help.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Check all the pipe connections and if nothing there remove the outer cover and check the immersion. Does it only leak when hot,or all the time?  

From what I can tell it’s when hot but I am waiting for it to cool down. I have just checked and the water is warm and the overflow pipe is more of a fast dripping and the pump is cycling about every minute now.

Assume it's coming from the red overflow pipe? Could there be a pressure relief valve or similar which has some limescale present. If so and it's push fit, try cleaning in vinegar.

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

The pipe opposite the red one is the overflow pipe were the water is leaking from. Is the grey component the valve that is causing the problem?

025EF3DF-3A06-4B08-AC4F-2ED322924D00.jpeg

the term over flow is being used, is it really an over flow or a pressure release?

There is a lot of grey, can you be more specific?  Opposite Red, is that the yellow lever and its associated pipe?

The "black" pipe is it really black or internai dirt/crud?

macafee2

36 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

the term over flow is being used, is it really an over flow or a pressure release?

There is a lot of grey, can you be more specific?  Opposite Red, is that the yellow lever and its associated pipe?

The "black" pipe is it really black or internai dirt/crud?

macafee2

You are right the pipe that is black should be clear and that’s the one that’s dripping underneath. The grey component is the one that the red & clear plastic pipes come off of. Is that what’s clogged up and causing the problem? Will I need to drain the tank completely to access the grey valve? 

Thanks for all your responses.

PS

The tank is full but cold and there’s no dripping water.

Edited by Doosan

20 minutes ago, Doosan said:

You are right the pipe that is black should be clear and that’s the one that’s dripping underneath. The grey component is the one that the red & clear plastic pipes come off of. Is that what’s clogged up and causing the problem? Will I need to drain the tank completely to access the grey valve? 

Thanks for all your responses.

PS

The tank is full but cold and there’s no dripping water.

where the red and "clear" pipes join, that fitting looks to have a threaded nut, is it leaking at the nut and can it be tightened?

Could either the Red or "clear" pipe be leaking where they fit to the grey item?

when you say underneath, underneath the caravan? If it is then I'd guess that where the red and clear join is a valve and that valve is allowing water along the clear pipe. It could be the valve is weak or the heater is getting too hot and venting via the valve which would make it a pressure release valve.

All the above is guess work, I have nowt to back it up so could be talking complete tosh

macafee2

16 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

where the red and "clear" pipes join, that fitting looks to have a threaded nut, is it leaking at the nut and can it be tightened?

Could either the Red or "clear" pipe be leaking where they fit to the grey item?

when you say underneath, underneath the caravan? If it is then I'd guess that where the red and clear join is a valve and that valve is allowing water along the clear pipe. It could be the valve is weak or the heater is getting too hot and venting via the valve which would make it a pressure release valve.

All the above is guess work, I have nowt to back it up so could be talking complete tosh

macafee2

Hi m2 , there’s no leaks inside my van the leak from that clear pipe that runs through a hole in the floor and hangs underneath and drips onto the grass. As I have said while the tank is cold and pump on there’s no dripping, it would seem to start dripping when the water is heated up. Hope that makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Doosan said:

Hi m2 , there’s no leaks inside my van the leak from that clear pipe that runs through a hole in the floor and hangs underneath and drips onto the grass. As I have said while the tank is cold and pump on there’s no dripping, it would seem to start dripping when the water is heated up. Hope that makes sense. 

yes perfect sense, sorry if I miss understood, although I may have been seeking clarification :)

ok wild guess as above, grey fitting where two pipes join is a pressure release valve and

1. weak letting water pass

2. has at some point opened to let water pass and crud preventing it from closing and sealing

3. heater has a fault, getting too hot and pressure release valve is doing its job and venting

4. I'm talking tosh 

Try 2, can it be taken apart and cleaned?

What temperature is hot water getting to? This may be of help in deciding if a fault or weak valve.

macafee2

2 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

yes perfect sense, sorry if I miss understood, although I may have been seeking clarification :)

ok wild guess as above, grey fitting where two pipes join is a pressure release valve and

2. has at some point opened to let water pass and crud preventing it from closing and sealing

3. heater has a fault, getting too hot and pressure release valve is doing its job and venting

4. I'm talking tosh 

What temperature is hot water getting to? This may be of help in deciding if a fault or weak valve.

macafee2

Thanks for that m2, I have no way of checking how hot the water is with me, I just know you can’t keep your hand under it but then it’s always been like that. Knowing what I now know, thanks to you I think I shall just turn the heater on as and when I need to and then sort it out when I return home next month. Thanks for your help.

Doosan

It sounds to me like the drain down tap not seating properly.

With the pump off, open the hot / cold tap.  Lift the yellow lever to vertical and then to to horizontal, first to one side and then the other.  Do this a few times, then close the drain down tap to its horizontal position, close  the hot / cold tap, switch the pump back on.  All should now be well.

image.png.35e5c9c4e2a3666784db87a82a8ba78a.png

Edited by Wunny
  • I agree completely 1

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

On 28/08/2019 at 09:56, macafee2 said:

4. I'm talking tosh 

macafee2

Thanks for that m2, I have no way of checking how hot the water is with me, I just know you can’t keep your hand under it but then it’s always been like that. Knowing what I now know, thanks to you I think I shall just turn the heater on as and when I need to and then sort it out when I return home next month. Thanks for your help.

Doosan

Well I took this valve off and washed it out and replaced it and (Fingers crossed) all seems fine again. I might invest in a new one when I return home in 2 weeks time. Thanks you all for your help. CT comes up trumps again. ??

• Like 1