correct tyre pressure

macafee2

seeing a post by kelper has made me try and work out the correct tyre pressure for my caravan.

Here is a link to a web page explaining the formula

https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/calculate-the-correct-tyre-pressure-for-your-caravan/

single axle

mtplm = 1406kg

max load per tyre 850kg

max tyre pressure 65psi

what I don't know is the actual weight of the caravan once loaded. If I use 1406kg, am I right in thinking the tyre pressure should be 53.7psi?

If I run at 60psi, what effect will it have? I thought 60psi was in the handbook hence that's what I've run at.

If I lower to 53.7 what will I notice?

I know how the caravan handles at 60 psi, so am wary of reducing by 6 pound and it becoming less stable particularly as the caravans next run is 280 miles on mainly motorway.

macafee2

handbook does indeed say 60psi

Edited by macafee2

Keep what works for you.  The only suggestion is to look at the tyre wear and make sure it is even across the width.  Or take the caravan to a public weighbridge which might cost £20.  If you do you could weigh the car at the same time.  Just have normal stuff in the car or take everything out and 'weigh' it back in later.  It's best to do this with fuel tank full and no driver.  I believe you get two weighings for the fee charged.

You calculation is correct.

Most caravans probably weigh more than the theoretical figure which, typically, does not include the gas bottle, water tank and any extras like motor movers.  So your 60psi might be ideal.

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

5 hours ago, kelper said:

Keep what works for you.  The only suggestion is to look at the tyre wear and make sure it is even across the width.  Or take the caravan to a public weighbridge which might cost £20.  If you do you could weigh the car at the same time.  Just have normal stuff in the car or take everything out and 'weigh' it back in later.  It's best to do this with fuel tank full and no driver.  I believe you get two weighings for the fee charged.

You calculation is correct.

Most caravans probably weigh more than the theoretical figure which, typically, does not include the gas bottle, water tank and any extras like motor movers.  So your 60psi might be ideal.

thank you .

called a local weighbridge and they charge £40 inc vat.

If it were not for your post, I'd never have questioned the 60psi 

macafee2

Just beware putting more pressure into your tyre than it is designed to hold.

A "Maximum Pressure" is moulded onto the sidewall somewhere.

15 hours ago, macafee2 said:

seeing a post by kelper has made me try and work out the correct tyre pressure for my caravan.

Here is a link to a web page explaining the formula

https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/calculate-the-correct-tyre-pressure-for-your-caravan/

single axle

mtplm = 1406kg

max load per tyre 850kg

max tyre pressure 65psi

what I don't know is the actual weight of the caravan once loaded. If I use 1406kg, am I right in thinking the tyre pressure should be 53.7psi?

If I run at 60psi, what effect will it have? I thought 60psi was in the handbook hence that's what I've run at.

If I lower to 53.7 what will I notice?

I know how the caravan handles at 60 psi, so am wary of reducing by 6 pound and it becoming less stable particularly as the caravans next run is 280 miles on mainly motorway.

macafee2

handbook does indeed say 60psi

53.7 psi - good luck with setting that!

Alan