Sign in to follow this  
Ched

Which motormover?

The van will probably be a Bailey Phoenix 420 so only 1139kg mtplm.

I know some people don't need them but I have a tricky spot to store the caravan at home and don't think I could push even this light van into it's space on the gravel drive.

I have never used a motormover and not had a tourer for about 20 years so lots of things have changed a fair bit.

Are any brand of motor mover better than any other? 

Are the auto engagement ones worth the extra money?

Any other constructive things I should know about?

Thanks.

We've been very impressed with the Powertouch and yes, the auto engagement is a treat.

One van came fitted with an Enduro which was rubbish.

Wouldn't be without one particularly if you have a tight spot and want to align wheels for an Alko lock. Also gives some tremendous on-site positioning options...

• Like 1

Originally we had a Rhyno (first type) but found the after sales unhelpful.   Worked quicker than the following  Powrtouch, which was a positive.   We changed to Powrtouch after reading good reviews and positive customer service experiences.   Had it 10 years, fully supported by a great team, it was reliable but slow and was starting to struggle so when we changed van last August, we bought a new one.  This one has been problematic from the start.   Calls to the (new) Powrtouch team have proven fruitless and a fault reported back in May is still not resolved despite numerous phone calls.   The new tech team are less helpful than previously and we’ve decided that if we need a new one - it will be another brand. 

• Like 2

We have a powrtouch we had it fitted in 2007 to a bailey, taken off in 2010 transferred to our Coachman & its still going well, only had one problem with the hand set (wire came lose)  great bit of kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cherokee2015 said:

Originally we had a Rhyno (first type) but found the after sales unhelpful.   Worked quicker than the following  Powrtouch, which was a positive.   We changed to Powrtouch after reading good reviews and positive customer service experiences.   Had it 10 years, fully supported by a great team, it was reliable but slow and was starting to struggle so when we changed van last August, we bought a new one.  This one has been problematic from the start.   Calls to the (new) Powrtouch team have proven fruitless and a fault reported back in May is still not resolved despite numerous phone calls.   The new tech team are less helpful than previously and we’ve decided that if we need a new one - it will be another brand. 

I say nothing about Powrtouch, but if a product like a motor mover, which probably only gets about 30 minutes a year needs "support" by a team, however good, I would think it a pretty poor product.

• Like 1

The problem with the automatic actuation movers is if it develops a problem and you can't engage or disengage it. Make sure it has a manual override to you can crank it over by hand.

I once had an auto actuation mover and it started to fail, sometimes not wanting to engage or disengage at all. I had it removed and purchased a Truma 2Go which is their budget mover with manual actuation, and its been perfect. Its a few years old now and today I purchased a brand new caravan, and I intend to get the mover transferred over to the new van.

• Like 1

I have a new manually engaged Reich, I am old school though and it also keeps my 'mover monitor' on her toes. :P

I have had over the years the less expensive movers, and I have had the more expensive ones. They all move the caravan so pay your money and take your choice.

kot

pigs

26 minutes ago, pigsfly said:

I have had over the years the less expensive movers, and I have had the more expensive ones. They all move the caravan so pay your money and take your choice.

kot

pigs

Better to take your choice before paying you money :D

Make sure the rollers on both wheels can both be actuated from just one side of the van, and from either side, that way you aren't having to walk around your van to engage both wheels separately, it's all done from one side, and if your up against a kerb with restricted access you can go to the other side of the van to actuate them both instead.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

I think auto engage is worth the extra. we too have a tight space and gravel drive and have found the powertouch

to be excellent.

As for the comment about any product used for 30 minutes needing a support team to be a pretty poor product, what utter tosh! I can think of many companies that sell products for way less then a motor mover that have a technical help desk.

macafee2

the last powrtouch lasted 11 years and 3 caravans, we sold it with the last 'van and bought a new powrtouch.   There is a difference in the gap between the old one and the new one , which we found out on one 'van when it was difficult to engage it as the dealer set it to the new one. Also on the same note make sure that your tyres are the correct pressure or again the gap will be incorrect.  Another thing with powrtouch ,  if a dealer or engineer fits it the warantee covers parts and labour , but if you fit it yourself only the parts are covered. 

Edited by joanie

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

Better to take your choice before paying you money :D

Make sure the rollers on both wheels can both be actuated from just one side of the van, and from either side, that way you aren't having to walk around your van to engage both wheels separately, it's all done from one side, and if your up against a kerb with restricted access you can go to the other side of the van to actuate them both instead.

Sir I stand corrected!!!

kot

pigs

Elddis xplore 302. Only a small 'van but had the upgrade to 1050kg M.T.P.L.M. and a Powrtouch Evolution fitted shortly after purchase (back problems). No bother, so far(touch wood), but its just coming to the end of warranty :rolleyes:  Previous 'van was an Avondale Wren, 760ish kg gross weight and no mover but manageable by Mrs_at and myself :)

Edited by Flat_at
I can spell but my fingers can't

I have a Truma XT Mover, it has automatic engagement and can shift 2300 Kg on slopes up to 13%. Should it ever fail (it's nearly 6 years old now, it was fitted to my previous caravan too and it's never had a fault) it is possible to wind it in and out manually.

Positives:

relatively lightweight

very reliable

compact

easy to use

Negatives:

expensive

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/caravan-movers/truma-xt-caravan-mover.html

Edited by Borussia 1900

20 hours ago, daveat92 said:

I say nothing about Powrtouch, but if a product like a motor mover, which probably only gets about 30 minutes a year needs "support" by a team, however good, I would think it a pretty poor product.

Actually our mover is used about 20 minutes per trip (10 minutes out of the garden and the same on return) for at least 30+ trips per year as it has to take our van out of the garden and travel along an access road to the main road where the car can be hitched, not to mention on site use, do it does get some hammer with a fully loaded van.  

We have had rollers replaced, new handsets and other MINOR issues which had been resolved by a good team - my point was to say that since the change of ownership, there is a marked decline in customer service.    When working, the Powrtouch is great, just at this moment, frustratingly ours isn’t 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies they are all helpful.

For some strange reason each of the local caravan dealers (Preston area) all seem to suggest they fit Powrtouch. So either they get a good 'markup' or they are easy to fit, but then again with a 5 yr waranty would any issues be the dealers to get sorted? Maybe the dealers believe they have the least issues with Powrtouch or maybe just they can get the parts?

I recently contacted Powrtouch to see if the rubber motor ‘boots’ were covered under warranty... new pair was in the post the same day at no cost to me.

The old ones had perished and split.

I have my last Powrtouch classic in the shed - still works but one of the Powrbar rollpins had sheared (means engaging both motors individually) and one of the engagement shafts - the bit the wrench fits onto - had bent.

I had some notion of refurbishing it and perhaps selling it on... the electronics are in good order and the motors drive well so mainly cosmetic stuff but I notice the Spares catalogue seems to have reduced somewhat since Truma took over Powrwheel/Powrtouch.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ched said:

Thanks for the replies they are all helpful.

For some strange reason each of the local caravan dealers (Preston area) all seem to suggest they fit Powrtouch. So either they get a good 'markup' or they are easy to fit, but then again with a 5 yr waranty would any issues be the dealers to get sorted? Maybe the dealers believe they have the least issues with Powrtouch or maybe just they can get the parts?

When contacting Powrtouch regarding warranty, they have always sent out a mobile engineer, which usually results in a quicker repair than waiting for space at dealer. 

• Like 1

We've had a Reich manual engagement mover fitted to our Bailey from new (2005.). In that time it had a fault on the remote (dry joint which was replaced FoC) and had new aluminium rollers to replace the original grit ones after about 10 years. Other than that it's been faultless.

I do smile when I see people extolling the repair service for some manufacturers. Like daveat92 I'd rather have one that didn't need repairing......

Sign in to follow this