When emptying my toilet last night I found that there seemed to be some leakage from the seal area.

Now my daughter managed to use the wrong fluid in the flush this week could this have damaged the cassette.

Is there and way to repair or fix the seals.

Posted (edited)

You can buy replacement seals online or at a acaravan shop.  But see if the main seal is dirty, clean it and lubricate with silicon spray or the special spray sold for this job.  Maybe the seal will recover.  Flush the cassette thoroughly and then half fill with water and test for leaks by turning the cassette upside down.  See where any leak actually comes from.  What chemical was used by mistake?

Edited by kelper

Don't confuse the fact that water will run down the toilet bowl and collect on the seal after the trap is closed.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

If you wish to replace the seal then the instructions are in a Sticky thread at the head of this Toilet section.

But I see no need to.

When emptying the cassette, we always first go back to the loo and operate the lever to remove the 'excess' tgat Easy T mentions in his post.

My daughter used the toilet fluid in the flush instead of the bowl cleaner

Thetford green can go in both tanks.  And it's more eco friendly.

The flap in the bottom of tiolet bowl is it meant to open fully?    

Mine opens about 90%.

1 minute ago, kelper said:

Thetford green can go in both tanks.  And it's more eco friendly.

Expensive though does it do its job as good and does it keep bowl shiney white?

Does anyone know of a scientific comparison of portable toilet chemicals?  I'm searching the interweb now without success.

26 minutes ago, David 38 said:

The flap in the bottom of tiolet bowl is it meant to open fully?    

Mine opens about 90%.

Expensive though does it do its job as good and does it keep bowl shiney white?

Whatever you do don't use the blue in the flush as a number have ended up with blue toilet bowls. 

That's exactly what she did luckily no blue toilet bowl but that was my concern that the blue may have damaged the seals in the Cassette even tho it was only in a couple of days

I would very much doubt it Chris

Posted (edited)

Thetford warn against putting blue in via the hole with the seal on.  Suggesting it may not be good for something in that area of the holding tank (at least undiluted because some must splash up / contact when being carried for emptying).

I'd give it a good clean / strip down; re-lubricate (olive oil or silicon grease) and keep an eye on it.  Thetford suggest we routinely changing the seal after 5-6 years of use (they must use car tyre rubber ;) ) so if yours is that age, or more, it may be worth changing for peace of mind anyway?

The only time I've had a leak of the 'nasty stuff' it was from the main 'waste holding tank plate' seal (giant sized o-ring).  It only required a clean up and re-lubrication and has (touch wood) caused no problem since.  Opening it was a bit of a job but there are instructions/videos on how to.

Edited by Rodders53

2 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Thetford warn against putting blue in via the hole with the seal on.  

I have done this with all my vans with care, without a problem,  any small amounts of fluid is wiped straight away.

• Like 1
  • +1 2

10 hours ago, kiaboy said:

I have done this with all my vans with care, without a problem,  any small amounts of fluid is wiped straight away.

I too always put fluid in that way, far easier.

I can't really see much problem with fluid on the seal as it is in permanent contact with fluid inside? However, if you splash fluid on the outside case, it will eventually find its way down to the floor and make a big mess inside the cabinet.

The blue dye is very powerful stuff when neat.

On 26/08/2019 at 09:16, chrishconnolly said:

My daughter used the toilet fluid in the flush instead of the bowl cleaner

If she used the pink toilet fluid in the flush this should not affect the seals?

This subject got me going to clean my cassette well as just been away for over a month.

Cleaning the actual cassette went ok but the cleaning of the comportment is a different matter as I removed the rectangular cover on the bottom of the inside.

Under this 4x5 inch cover is a resovour filled with brown liquid, I assume this is a leak from the cassette so where?

Obviously this is a design feature of this new model toilet, anyone explain this to me please?

Is it an easy DIY fix or a dealer thing at first service?

5 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Obviously this is a design feature of this new model toilet, anyone explain this to me please?

Is it an easy DIY fix or a dealer thing at first service?

Nope.  It's been there since the C200 series.  It's designed for the electric ventilator option, which exits through a hole drilled through the floor.  (See you user manual).

The liquid pooling in there is from somewhere local:  Rainwater leak through door seals?  Leak of flush water (flush pipework, rinse tank drain hose)? Spill from cassette?  That 'pool' of flush fluid on the blade? or even drips from a wet bowl when cassette removed.

Identifying what will allow you to work out if it's easy or a dealer issue due to an install/item fault.

1 hour ago, staffordshirechina said:

I too always put fluid in that way, far easier.

I can't really see much problem with fluid on the seal as it is in permanent contact with fluid inside? However, if you splash fluid on the outside case, it will eventually find its way down to the floor and make a big mess inside the cabinet.

The blue dye is very powerful stuff when neat.

I doubt the seal is in permanent contact with what is inside the cassette.

macafee2

11 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Nope.  It's been there since the C200 series.  It's designed for the electric ventilator option, which exits through a hole drilled through the floor.  (See you user manual).

The liquid pooling in there is from somewhere local:  Rainwater leak through door seals?  Leak of flush water (flush pipework, rinse tank drain hose)? Spill from cassette?  That 'pool' of flush fluid on the blade? or even drips from a wet bowl when cassette removed.

Identifying what will allow you to work out if it's easy or a dealer issue due to an install/item fault.

No I think the liquid is a nasty and a lot of it .

I will clean it out and silicone spray the cassette seal and see what other advice I get and if a common problem if others share.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

There's a recess under my cassette.  In there are free samples of green and pink liquids.  Even after two years, previous owner(s) never touched them.  I made an error earlier, it is Elsan Green which can be used in both waste and flush tanks.  I don't know about Thetford's.

Here's a comparison of Thetford and Elsan Green, not scientific but credible.

https://www.motorhomeplanet.co.uk/archives/3630

Edited by kelper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, David 38 said:

No I think the liquid is a nasty and a lot of it .

I will clean it out and silicone spray the cassette seal and see what other advice I get and if a common problem if others share.

Thanks.

Try the search facility on here or have a good look-see of your installation? https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/67471-thetford-c250-cassette-toilet-leak-problem/?tab=comments#comment-696007 may explain a possible cause and perhaps a cure?

Posted (edited)

Remember that the seal is double sided and works on the upper side as well as the lower side. If you get leakage of liquid from the bowl past the upper side of the seal, this will run over the top of the cassette and down to the housing floor. 

Rinsing after the shutter is closed for example, will result in rinse water standing in the bowl and it can seep down past the seal. When our grandson was little he used to pee without opening the shutter, and then just leave it.

As others have said, lubricate the seal with silcon spray (I use the Thetford one made for the job), and the seal may be improved.

Edited by Ern

Tried it again today and I'm still pretty sure that it's leaking from the big o ring seal. Need to look at trying to get the out to try some silicone spray

10 hours ago, macafee2 said:

I doubt the seal is in permanent contact with what is inside the cassette.

macafee2

True unless the van is upside down! However it must get a goodly dose sloshed on it.