expackhack

Bailey Unicorn Black Edition

Spotter info on Bailey site re  updated Unicorn range, with black decals, wheels and minor internal changes. Will be interested to find out if the payloads can be upgraded!

Watched a video earlier today .

• +1 1

I'd be more interested in a decent payload.

Really nice looking van and it looks as if they have corrected all the details that used to personally put me off. Gone are the naff thin external graphics, the flat white/cream lockers, the unusual domestic seat backs, cream splashbacks and the square sink complete with screws on show. 

Looks really smart with black alloys

Posted (edited)

The tag axle Pamplona still only has a measly 160kg payload!!

I see that the front corner high level lockers no longer have doors so unusable when towing.

Also can someone explain why Bailey insist on fitting the kitchen tap with the control on the left hand side of the tap when the vast majority of us are right handed so have to reach across the sink to adjust the water temperature/flow! I have swopped  mine around so the control is now on the RH side, dead easy job and now much more user friendly. Bailey please note!

I bet they are still using that simply awful “Rhino” grey vinyl flooring that looks grubby even when spotless as well! (Covered mine with some much nicer looking vinyl flooring, fiddly but well worth doing to hide the original) 

I asked my dealer why Bailey use it, interesting response “Because if dealers ever have to replace some of the flooring due to having to take it up for damp etc there is no pattern to match, so they use less, which costs Bailey less”

Cheapskates! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Andy,

The payload will be the minimum required under the NCC Minimum Payload formula, so just adds a few kg for the foot or so extra length over a 4 berth single axle.

If a TA had just 2 berths, it's NCC payload would be circa 130/140kg because it's based on so many kg's per metre length and so many kg's per berth, plus a standard amount for appliances etc. 

As to taps, they're fine for us 'correct' handed people. Thankyou.

10L + 10N + 50. L is the body length of the caravan in meters. N is the number ... Industry Payload Standard for UK touring. Caravans 

49 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Andy,

The payload will be the minimum required under the NCC Minimum Payload formula, so just adds a few kg for the foot or so extra length over a 4 berth single axle.

If a TA had just 2 berths, it's NCC payload would be circa 130/140kg because it's based on so many kg's per metre length and so many kg's per berth, plus a standard amount for appliances etc. 

As to taps, they're fine for us 'correct' handed people. Thankyou.

The payload that the manufacturer took into account in the  type approval of the caravan may, however, be higher than the NCC minimum payload formula. If so, it will normally be displayed on the statutory plate.

Oh no, please let’s not get started on MTPLM and statutory plates again. I nearly went mad last year trying to get to the bottom of it all!!

I am sure the regular posters remember the very lengthy thread I started in the somewhat naive belief I could get a straight answer out of Bailey.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tonks said:

Really nice looking van and it looks as if they have corrected all the details that used to personally put me off. Gone are the naff thin external graphics, the flat white/cream lockers, the unusual domestic seat backs, cream splashbacks and the square sink complete with screws on show. 

Looks really smart with black alloys

Have to agree its the nicest looking Bailey I have seen.

Main thing for me is that the black front into the roofline disguises the long middle window, which I hated on previous models

Although it is still there, it is disguised well.

Not sure whether I could be tempted to buy one though.

15 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Not sure whether I could be tempted to buy one though.

Shouldn't worry, plenty will! 

Andy

If it still has no bathroom window and that ridiculous bathroom sink,no thanks.

Ian

12 minutes ago, Tandem Man said:

If it still has no bathroom window and that ridiculous bathroom sink,no thanks.

Ian

Why would you want a window in the bathroom? To gaze out whilst enthroned? 

Andy

Andy,

I'm right handed and hold something in my right hand like a dishbrush or a kettle and adjust the water with my left hand!

The grey vinyl does not look that great but I only see it if we need to clean the carpets.

Like the way the have disguised the hideous big window, major turn off for me styling wise. Interior looks better, more like a Swift. Have they addressed the water ingress problems so often reported on here or are they still plodding on with the same old (flawed) construction methods?

Posted (edited)

Just can't understand these issues with the sink screws in the Uni4 ... (Talk for Talk sake) Never been a problem with ours, they're totally clean & you don't even notice them .. I prefer our Uni4 domestic seat backs, so comfy. Speakers inside a resess (Your having a laugh) Hope the black decals don't turn grey like our grab handles .. Tbh I'd be looking at points elsewhere on these caravans but  Hey-ho 😂

Edited by Silverback

19 hours ago, Silverback said:

Just can't understand these issues with the sink screws in the Uni4 ... (Talk for Talk sake) Never been a problem with ours, they're totally clean & you don't even notice them .. I prefer our Uni4 domestic seat backs, so comfy. Speakers inside a resess (Your having a laugh) Hope the black decals don't turn grey like our grab handles .. Tbh I'd be looking at points elsewhere on these caravans but  Hey-ho 😂

I agree about the seats and the screws never noticed them  prefer a square sink as eayier washing grill and other square items

as for the bathroom having no window I think its brilliant big mirror as we always had blind closed plenty of natural light from above and can leave roof vents open when we go out

• Like 1

Looks good ...personally I hate the dark wheels but they could easily be sprayed silver . Doors taken off front little cubbies 🤔shame we keep wine/beer glasses in there and things that you wouldn’t want spilling out whilst on the move . But then you can’t have it all ! 

We visited our dealer yesterday and they had a new Alicanto Porto (island end bed, similar to our Cabrera but twin axle).  Hate the curved overhead cupboard doors, hate the doorless front high level cupboards, especially as they are mirror lined!!! Also hate the 70's look kitchen splashback, and the very pale "unbuttoned" upholstery.  The corner "headrests" on the sofas look really cheap.  DId like the slightly orangey tinge on the imitation wood, fridge/freezer that opens both ways, as it would need another heavier car to tow, and it's now £30k... we'll pass....

• Like 1

It’s just some changes to decor really, most interesting is the significant number of layouts that have now been dropped.

• Like 1