RobD42

Do Milenco Grand aero 3 mirrors fit a Kia Sportage?

Hi All

Just bought a 2016 Kia Sportage KX4. I have been using Milenco Grand Aero 3 mirrors with our previous tow car with no issues.  I am having trouble getting a secure fit on the Sportage, there is very little gap between the mirror glass and the bezel/frame of the car mirrors, meaning that I cannot push the wedge shaped clamp in far enough, also the car mirror bezel/frame is at an angle to the body of the car mirror.  Does anybody use the Milencos on a 2016 Sportage? Do I need to use the v pads as the Sorento uses?  Can I shorten the wedge on the clamp in order to push the clamp in further?  I hope this is clear enough.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Posted (edited)

Can you position the clamps on the bottom of the mirror?  (I don't have a Kia)

You could phone or email them for advice

Milenco Ltd

Blackhill Drive, Wolverton Mill, Milton Keynes, MK12 5TS, England

Tel: 01908 220102
Fax: 01908 220104
Email: enquiries@milenco.com

Edited by kelper

I have seen Sportages on site using them so there must be a way.

Cant recall though whether they were top fit or bottom fit.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, kelper said:

You could phone or email them for advice

Milenco Ltd

Blackhill Drive, Wolverton Mill, Milton Keynes, MK12 5TS, England

Tel: 01908 220102
Fax: 01908 220104
Email: enquiries@milenco.com

I emailed Milenco. I think they totally missed the point of my question and pointed me to a YouTube video that did not even mention their mirrors. I will try the again, hopefully I will get a more technically knowledgeable person to respond. 

Also this particular Kia model has automatically folding mirrors (I do not know how to turn this feature off) so the Milencos need to be top mounted to avoid damaging the glass or the mirrors.

Thanks for your reply

Edited by RobD42
Details added

Posted (edited)

I’ve recently had conversations with Milenco Technical Director (sorry can’t recall his name..Neil? ). He rang me when I complained the new special LR pads didnt fit my Discovery 5. He claimed, in passing, that their version 3 clamps had a different angle to previous clamps. ...giving a better grip between mirror and casing. Not sure if that might be relevant to your problem.

Personally couldn’t see any difference in my clamps and I THOUGHT I had one pair purchased last year that were their latest version 3??

With regard to the LR pads (which have a rubber lip that’s supposed to locate between mirror trim and casing) he said they were going ‘soon’ to produce another LR pad with the lip further out...to better reach the location on the tapered trim of the Discovery 5.

I bought some thin rubber strip and created my own ‘lip’ .

83E27873-6E6D-49E6-B83D-94A1D37D5CD2.jpeg

Edited by ericfield

Yes milenco towing mirrors do fit the kia sportage, I have used them on my previous sportage 61 plate and I am sill using the same mirrors on my current sportage 67 plate. You have to use the  v pads same as sorento. The mirrors I have had them fitted on both the top and bottom of the car mirrors, at different times and they are secure in both positions just a matter of taste. You will find that the mirror brackets will fit between the mirror body and the glass, for first time usage just slacken off the clamps and move them around individually until you find a space where they will slip into position, then you leave the clamps tight on the mirror stem and the next time that you have to use the milenco's you will find that they will fit quite easily into place back on the mirror body.

Hi

Thanks for your  very helpful reply. Very much appreciated.

5 hours ago, ericfield said:

I’ve recently had conversations with Milenco Technical Director (sorry can’t recall his name..Neil? ). He rang me when I complained the new special LR pads didnt fit my Discovery 5. He claimed, in passing, that their version 3 clamps had a different angle to previous clamps. ...giving a better grip between mirror and casing. Not sure if that might be relevant to your problem.

Personally couldn’t see any difference in my clamps and I THOUGHT I had one pair purchased last year that were their latest version 3??

With regard to the LR pads (which have a rubber lip that’s supposed to locate between mirror trim and casing) he said they were going ‘soon’ to produce another LR pad with the lip further out...to better reach the location on the tapered trim of the Discovery 5.

Thanks, I will try the rubber pad idea.

2 hours ago, robert46 said:

Yes milenco towing mirrors do fit the kia sportage, I have used them on my previous sportage 61 plate and I am sill using the same mirrors on my current sportage 67 plate. You have to use the  v pads same as sorento. The mirrors I have had them fitted on both the top and bottom of the car mirrors, at different times and they are secure in both positions just a matter of taste. You will find that the mirror brackets will fit between the mirror body and the glass, for first time usage just slacken off the clamps and move them around individually until you find a space where they will slip into position, then you leave the clamps tight on the mirror stem and the next time that you have to use the milenco's you will find that they will fit quite easily into place back on the mirror body.

Perfect reply thanks.

9 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

I have seen Sportages on site using them so there must be a way.

Cant recall though whether they were top fit or bottom fit.

Thanks for your help.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ericfield said:

After buying a replacement pair of Grand Aero's two weeks back, one of my originals decided to part company on my last trip, I saw the GA LR pads advertised designed for extra grip on 2014 on Discoverys  so ordered a set with the new mirrors.

This was supposed to be achieved by the Vee on the pad sitting in the small gap between the mirror bezel and main body.

On a 2015 Discovery a least, this gap dimension relative to the front bezel edge increases across the mirror width, i.e. the gap is not parallel to the front of the bezel therefore the Vee although close(ish) at the narrowest point is way off (4-5mm) at the widest dimension.

Tried to explain this to Milenco but went above their heads and reached a dead end.

Waste of money.

20190824_225059.thumb.png.bf3f06d7bcb43af8615cfa454d6ea731.png

Edit. BTW, rather than mounting on the top edge, now mount them on the mirror bottom edge, better clamping profile, without the draft angle of the top edge which causes the GA's to work their way off, rock solid now with the standard pads.

Edited by Griff
BTW added.

23 minutes ago, Griff said:

After buying a replacement pair of Grand Aero's two weeks back, one of my originals decided to part company on my last trip, I saw the GA LR pads advertised designed for extra grip on 2014 on Discoverys  so ordered a set with the new mirrors.

This was supposed to be achieved by the Vee on the pad sitting in the small gap between the mirror bezel and main body.

On a 2015 Discovery a least, this gap dimension relative to the front bezel edge increases across the mirror width, i.e. the gap is not parallel to the front of the bezel therefore the Vee although close(ish) at the narrowest point is way off (4-5mm) at the widest dimension.

Tried to explain this to Milenco but went above their heads and reached a dead end.

Waste of money.

20190824_225059.thumb.png.bf3f06d7bcb43af8615cfa454d6ea731.png

Edit. BTW, rather than mounting on the top edge, now mount them on the mirror bottom edge, better clamping profile, without the draft angle of the top edge which causes the GA's to work their way off, rock solid now with the standard pads.

This was exactly the point I discussed with their Tech Director. He had some daft suggestion that you slant the pad when screwing it down to get the Vee in the groove....but it doesn’t work.  I can get one in the narrowest part of the trim but it’s nowhere near (like your photo) at a sensible distance along the housing. Like I mentioned, he claimed they were making another wider version...but I made my own.

By email, one of their bods suggested that I use one of the LT pads at the narrower part, Vee still doesn't quite reach the gap and a standard pad at the wider part. :blink:

So not fit for purpose then?

They did not enter into further discussion.

16 hours ago, kelper said:

Fit mine to the bottom of my Discovery mirrors now but since, when the car is locked with the mirrors in place, the inner thumb screw heads hit the car body before the mirrors have reach their parked position.

Not sure if this is detrimental to the motors so remove the mirrors when I lock it now.

As I had a spare mirror (lost one) I took the clamps off it and added them to my new mirrors so have 3 clamps on each mirror now. :)

I use an old pair of Milenco Aeros with the original clamps on my 2017 Sportage. The clamps need to be placed very close together and fixed to the top of the mirrors as close to the car as you can get them.

I have a 2017 Sportage and use Milenco Aero's with the normal shaped clamps. They are a tight fit but we found by adjust the clamp position on the bar we were able to attain a good fit.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, RobD42 said:

I emailed Milenco. I think they totally missed the point of my question and pointed me to a YouTube video that did not even mention their mirrors. I will try the again, hopefully I will get a more technically knowledgeable person to respond. 

Also this particular Kia model has automatically folding mirrors (I do not know how to turn this feature off) so the Milencos need to be top mounted to avoid damaging the glass or the mirrors.

Thanks for your reply

On the sorrento, the mirror fold works on a rocker switch.

The centre position is automatic (fold with the central locking).

The ‘rock’ to the left leaves them folded permanently and the rock to the right leaves them open permanently.

Is there a similar switch on the Sportage?

My Milenco Grand Aeros fit on top of the mirrors on the Sorento, and just touch the window glass when folded in. 

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

The ‘rock’ to the left leaves them folded permanently and the rock to the right leaves them open permanently.

My Milenco Grand Aeros fit on top of the mirrors on the Sorento, and just touch the window glass when folded in. 

Hi, yes there is a similar switch on the sportage. Only had the car for short while so still plodding through the 700 page owners manual. Thanks for your help

7 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

On the 2017 Sportage there is a rocker switch for the mirrors, it is on the drivers door, on the front edge of the mirror adjuster switch. In the central position the mirrors fold when the car is locked, rock it to the left and the mirrors will close, even if the engine is still running (handy in tight spots), switch it to the right and it locks the mirrors open all the time.

I'm not sure if the applies to the Sportage 1 but from the Sportage 2 upwards it does. Also the mirrors will still close with the Milenco mirrors fitted without issue.