l1oydo

Death of the caravan is looming?

That little legislation passed in 1997 is starting to catch up. For those coming into their 40’s finding a caravan is set to become a challenging task.

This made for a good read;

http://tow3500.co.uk/death-of-the-luxury-caravan

Which got me thinking, for people who own caravans looking to sell on to perhaps the next generation, the target audience would appear to be shrinking.

Posted (edited)

This is a very interesting point and we see on here new caravaners that are reluctant to increase there licence to B+E for the larger caravans .

This is even more of an issue for the UK 5th wheel caravans that have a mam of over 3500kg and over 4000kg on some which majority are towed using the B+E grand father rights with no limit with a cat B vehicle  like a Navara pickup but after 2013 this was restricted for new licences to 3500 kg . To tow over 3500 kg it will need C1+E licence and a cat C vehicle with a gross vehicle weight over 3500kg which is limiting finding one and using sites .

How this is all going to effect the industry in the next 20 years ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

lighter caravan like  swift Basecamp, Bailey is bringing out something similar. it may not be ideal for family but manufacturers will find a way of building lighter caravan on the other hand glamping and the like seems to be taking off, so towing a caravan may become the pleasure for a few.

Edited by oldboy

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

It seems there are several factors likely to influence the future of caravans and motorhomes ... the licence matter already mentioned, VED changes for motorhomes, the slow but inevitable move to EV's (there are two matters here range and the increased weight of EV's which will reduce MAM towing capacity) 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Just now, jetA1 said:

It seems there are several factors likely to influence the future of caravans and motorhomes ... the licence matter already mentioned, VED changes for motorhomes, the slow but inevitable move to EV's (there are two matters here range and the increased weight of EV's which will reduce MAM towing capacity) 

Peoples already using EV's for towing I have seen a few Tesla on site recently.

Isn't the OP saying that it's a like saying its the death of HGV's or motorbikes, in the case of each the driver has the take a further test to get that licence, and if a person wants to hold that category of licence that is what they have to do.

The solution for individuals affected by this is simply to take and pass an appropriate trailer test - the problem may be persuading them to do this.

You can book your car (B) and trailer (+E) driving test when you've got a full car driving licence. You don't need to pass another theory test. This test is sometimes called the B+E test.

You can also take a C1+E test for a larger outfit if you hold a lorry (C1) licence.

Additional tests will always have a financial element but it depends upon how serious you are about owning and using a larger caravan.

Unfortunately in the longer term I feel sure that further methods to dissuade the use of large vehicles will be employed by governments.

7 minutes ago, oldboy said:

lighter caravan like  swift Basecamp, Bailey is bringing out something similar. it may not be ideal for family but manufacturers will find a way of building lighter caravan on the other hand glamping and the like seems to be taking off, so towing a caravan may become the pleasure for a few.

I agree except to say the impact is more likely to be on the Gin Palaces rather than family vans. I think there is something that was posted here a while ago that the B license will be updated to 4500kg for pure EV to take account of he heavier vehicles.

Personally, I think this is actually good news, but then the Swift Basecamp/ Sprite and Bailey Ranger/ Phoenix have more appeal than the likes of Buccaneers.

4 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Yes,  a few Dutch Tesla model X’s In France this year and it was at least 500 miles for them to drive to get to where we were.

5 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Yes, I know that Tesla's can tow, but in the real world the Tesla is not typical of the type of EV that will become poplar with the masses. 

2 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Yes,  a few Dutch Tesla model X’s In France this year and it was at least 500 miles for them to drive to get to where we were.

I wonder how many times they stopped to recharge?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon said:

The solution for individuals affected by this is simply to take and pass an appropriate trailer test - the problem may be persuading them to do this.

You can book your car (B) and trailer (+E) driving test when you've got a full car driving licence. You don't need to pass another theory test. This test is sometimes called the B+E test.

You can also take a C1+E test for a larger outfit if you hold a lorry (C1) licence.

Additional tests will always have a financial element but it depends upon how serious you are about owning and using a larger caravan.

In essence it isn't that difficult to obtain a B+E, however it is a hurdle to be overcome and and in the present climate busy lives and most people wanting everything yesterday it will act as a barrier. 

2 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

In essence it isn't that difficult to obtain a B+E, however it is a hurdle to be overcome and and in the present climate busy lives and most people wanting everything yesterday it will act as a barrier. 

If they are not prepared to take the test then they don't want it bad enough!

• Like 1
  • +1 1

7 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

It can be done but range drops dramatically, if your within range of the Supercharger network it is doable, if you want to go off the beaten track ... not so sure. 

1 minute ago, Grandpa Steve said:

If they are not prepared to take the test then they don't want it bad enough!

Exactly ... but that is a mindset that exists and it will impact the future of caravanning. 

9 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I wonder how many times they stopped to recharge?

Owners suggest it’s anywhere between a 40 and 60% impact but that is typically in America where the caravans are like box trailers, I’d therefore assume a 50% real range is probably close to the mark. Works with Tesla super chargers I’d image

11 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

Yes, I know that Tesla's can tow, but in the real world the Tesla is not typical of the type of EV that will become poplar with the masses. 

Indeed, but their tech is dribbling down the food chain - look at the range of a 2019 Renault Zoe compared to an early 2013 car.

10 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

:goodpost:

Agreed but it depends how much any individual wants to tow. Either way I fear that the purchase of larger caravans is destined to reduce in number although the writing has been on the wall since 1997, and discussed frequently on this forum.

More likely the B+E licence is in the process of extinction. Most younger people are not really interested in towing anything because its such a fuss and parking/storing is difficult. Those few interested are more  likely to consider towing a small caravan like the Basecamp with a smaller car. Younger people don't want the massive amount of "clobber" that has become the norm in recent years on caravans (and campervans). Look how popular the VW vans are with mainly younger people for touring. It would be interesting to know at this point in the evolution of the leisure industry whether the caravan makers are aware which affordable hybrid or electric vehicles are available capable of towing something like a Basecamp, or whether there are any small electric or hybrid vans. This is what I think will become much more popular.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

I though the whole idea of the Tesla 3 was for the masses ?

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/model3

Dave

:goodpost::goodpost:

16 minutes ago, Gordon said:

:goodpost:

Agreed but it depends how much any individual wants to tow. Either way I fear that the purchase of larger caravans is destined to reduce in number although the writing has been on the wall since 1997, and discussed frequently on this forum.

Not really as a person with a B licence can still buy a large twin axle caravan and have the dealer tow it to a site where it will be seasonal.

19 minutes ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

:goodpost::goodpost:

Nail on the head.

Take me for prime example. I’m 39, passed my test in 1998, have a family of four and started researching into caravan ownership. On discovering the weight limitations the initial buzz I had has been quashed. Many like me will won’t want the hassle of doing further tests, instead we will find an alternative.  

I now understand why younger families are leaning toward the likes of transporters and other panel van conversions. 

So if your selling a caravan today you audience will be mostly 40+ but in ten years time...

All good points, but look at the majority of caravan owners, the baby boomers. It is a fact that when you look around a site midweek , the caravanners are mostly retired folk.  In another 10 / 15 years  we will be  not be caravan owners for one reason or another . Add that to all the above and although there may be small caravans and small motor homes, I don't think the caravan industry will be as popular as it is now.  Everything seems to go around in a circle so maybe tents will get a revival. 

3 minutes ago, joanie said:

All good points, but look at the majority of caravan owners, the baby boomers. It is a fact that when you look around a site midweek , the caravanners are mostly retired folk.  In another 10 / 15 years  we will be  not be caravan owners for one reason or another . Add that to all the above and although there may be small caravans and small motor homes, I don't think the caravan industry will be as popular as it is now.  Everything seems to go around in a circle so maybe tents will get a revival. 

Hi Joannie. Perhaps shelters made out of sticks and and foliage coverings would be far more earthly friendly :rolleyes::unsure:

• Haha 2

if people want to tow, they will take the test - just as I had to with my bike licence.

Caravans and BE test will be irrelevant as the latest government report is that private vehicle ownership needs to be abolished https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/car-ownership-“not-compatible”-emissions-targets

8 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Caravans and BE test will be irrelevant as the latest government report is that private vehicle ownership needs to be abolished https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/car-ownership-“not-compatible”-emissions-targets

What are they advocating as an alternative  and who is going to pay for yet another balmy Scrappage Scheme?  The link throws up an unwanted compulsory Advert from AUTOCAR which I will not accept !!