changed 2 single sockets in caravan

hello could i have some advice please 

i have changed 2 single  sockets in my caravan

on the socket on the caravan sockets it states 240v AC

i have replaced with single sockets bought from Screwfix which have 2 USB sockets per socket

( we always hook up to a electrical supply  when we go away )

we have a swift challenger 500 

thank you  Paul

socket.jpg.f1fdedf1e80a00689fddf85d8dab1041.jpg

I am guessing that your query was the old 230v or 240v question.

UK mains electricity was, for years nominally 240v plus or minus 6%. So could be anywhere between 226v and 254 v

Then, in the name of harmonisation across Europe it was changed in 1995 to 230v plus or minus 10%. So could be anywhere between 206v and 254v!

In reality, since the old range falls entirely into the new range it meant no change!

I think the OP's query may be over the 5V for the chargers.

These 230/240V mains sockets now often have these USB 5V charger sockets incorporated. In which case they are safe to use because the socket incorporates the transformer/rectifier for the lower voltage.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

2 hours ago, Stevan said:

I am guessing that your query was the old 230v or 240v question.

UK mains electricity was, for years nominally 240v plus or minus 6%. So could be anywhere between 226v and 254 v

Then, in the name of harmonisation across Europe it was changed in 1995 to 230v plus or minus 10%. So could be anywhere between 206v and 254v!

In reality, since the old range falls entirely into the new range it meant no change!

230 volts +10% - 6% , so that's between 216.2 volts and 253 volts, the tolerances, cunningly used, meant that they had to do nothing to conform.

source info here

Also cunningly used is manufacturer's warranty's on electrical appliances, which are void if used above their rated voltage of 230 volts.  So if you live next door to a sub-station, some things don't last long - I know because I do!

The kettle boils quicker though.

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

4 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Yes!  Mine also came from Screwfix.     They're great for charging phone and camera battery.

545615942_USBsocket.JPG.7203513d8dcabbc1052155f439f9f388.JPG

That bend in wire a bit tight, you may well find the wires break after a number of plugging in and out.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

45 minutes ago, David 38 said:

That bend in wire a bit tight, you may well find the wires break after a number of plugging in and out.

Agree - Plug it in the top socket or turn bottom one sideways.

John

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

No worries!   The bottom socket is normally used  by the electric clock.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

13 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Nah, I'd say that's quite a large radius bend on a fairly small diameter cable.  https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.4.2.htm

I'd deprecate the use of those specific sockets as they are Single-Pole switched.  I'd prefer to see Double-Pole or unswitched ones -  then the normal modern caravan 'mains polarity agnostic' environment is maintained.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

22 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

...  I'd prefer to see Double-Pole or unswitched ones -  then the normal modern caravan 'mains polarity agnostic' environment is maintained.

Are those fitted by caravan makers double then or single poled?

Regards, David

I'd hope any switched ones would be DP.  Many caravan makers only fit unswitched sockets, though.  I hope my Bailey ones are DP? but Prima's website doesn't say.  It's not impossible to check that both poles are switched, but may need some dismantling (or a plug with a n-e link as a 'fault tester').

All the Volex switched sockets in my current home are DP.  The cost difference SP to DP is minimal, but the original house ones being flat metal plate sockets may only have come in DP form?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

hello all wondering why no one  had replied to my post as i did click on the email linking for reply to my post

well shocked to know 11 reply's thank you all 

what i wanted to know is on my caravan socket it say 240V AC

the new one are they safe and OK to use 

thank you all again for your kind help Paul

Yes they are fine.  But what made you ask?  Who made them?  Was there a BSI kitemark or CE marking on the bacl or on the packaging?  Screwfix is a reputable company.

Edited by Guest

Yes 240 v is nominal for something like the range 200 to 250 V.

Regards, David

I have made a twin socket extension with one of these

https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-13a-switched-usb-socket/p55938

socket.jpg.0a9ec67ca1cb434c0b8eb8a8f1815d71.jpg

added a plastic back box, and placed it on the front shelf near the window held in place with 2" sticky Velcro.

I plug it into the socket which is down by your feet on the front seating area and route it through the lower cupboard, this means there is always a socket available when the front bed is pulled out

Mazda CX5 2.2d auto 184bhp Ace Supreme Twinstar TA

mazda cx5 icon.jpg

10 minutes ago, rodgthedodge said:

I have made a twin socket extension with one of these

https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-13a-switched-usb-socket/p55938

socket.jpg.0a9ec67ca1cb434c0b8eb8a8f1815d71.jpg

added a plastic back box, and placed it on the front shelf near the window held in place with 2" sticky Velcro.

I plug it into the socket which is down by your feet on the front seating area and route it through the lower cupboard, this means there is always a socket available when the front bed is pulled out

The problem with the standard plastic box is that they are designed to be permanently installed and have no provision for strain relief.  What precautions have you taken to prevent the supply lead from being pulled out?

14 minutes ago, DACS said:

The problem with the standard plastic box is that they are designed to be permanently installed and have no provision for strain relief.  What precautions have you taken to prevent the supply lead from being pulled out?

Do the 13 amp installed by the caravan maker get fitted differently?

Regards, David

17 minutes ago, David 38 said:

The box/cable don't need any strain relief as the cable goes directly behind the fixed drawers at the front of the caravan, and the plastic box is fastened/fixed in place with two strips of 2" sticky Velcro covering the whole back of the box.

mazda cx5 icon.jpg

20 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I am pretty sure that the IEE regs state that the cable used in the installation must be heat resistant, flexible and regularly supported due to the vibration experienced when travelling. As to using standard household sockets I personally wouldn't.

Do any caravan manufacturers use them?

I would say my 13 amps and flexible cable is normal domestic.

Regards, David

You could always use one of these, it plugs straight into a single socket

20190828_164059.jpg

mazda cx5 icon.jpg

I got one of these for the caravan about 2 years ago from Aldi - £3.99 we’ll spent ... ...

93393801-BF1D-4771-BC26-411C135EE4F0.thumb.jpeg.82f2750da1e46c1e6e9056d6ddf47274.jpeg

John