TerenceB

New Lunar Quasar - Should I Buy

Hi All,

I'm new to caravan Talk (although I've looked through the forum before), so if my question has been asked before I apologise in advance. We currently have a Swift Challenger 524 and are looking to replace this soon. We like the 524 layout, so have looked at the Lunar Quasar 524 (mainly because we had a Lunar Stellar before and it was faultless in all the years we owned it.

My concerns relate to the fact that Lunar recently went into administration (July 19 I think) which we didn't know before we looked at the new Lunar Quasar 524, the deal we've been offered is very good. I'm now wondering if this is only because of the current financial situation.

The last Lunar we owned was a 2010 model, what is the quality like now, are there any major issues?

Thanks in Advance

Terry

Perhaps not what you want to hear TerenceB, sorry friend, but I would be very hesitant to take up the offer.

If it was underwritten by a second insurer guaranteeing all subsequent repairs and remedial works for the next ten years I might consider it, even then I would check out the validity of the underwriter's credentials.

• +1 1

Posted (edited)

Lunar is out of administration with a new owner but there's probably no warranty on the vans made before they went in to administration.

Edited by AndersG
  • +1 1

I would let the dust settle unless you can get a cast iron warranty from the dealer.

• +1 1

I would walk away, or even run as a warranty would have no meaning,

• +1 2

3 minutes ago, WispMan said:

I would walk away, or even run as a warranty would have no meaning,

I have to agree as lately there have been a few reports on here and on other forums of Lunars leaking especially around the front windows.  The person who bought Lunar caravans has no experience of building caravans, is totally unknown and could be another Mr Philip Green!  Only time will tell as Lunar reputation is now shattered and people have lost confidence in the brand due to warranty issues.

• +1 1

early days yet to know what the outcome is going to be and I wouldn't be at all surprised at dealers offering good deals on Lunars. I wouldn't touch a new Lunar with a barge pole at the moment . You may get a warantee of sorts on it but you may have issues with spares in the future. 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Well if the views here on Lunar are wide spread they are bound to fail due to no one buying.

• +1 1

personally I would just walk away, the fact you have ask advice there are doubts in your mind.

• Like 1
  • +1 3

I'd buy it - with 30% discount and an engineer's report.

Our 2016 Delta is an excellent caravan.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It is not currently clear what the status of the new owners are and what the intentions are: is this a "pre pack phoenix situation"  or a new wealthy owner wishing to invest and build the brand ? We just don't know yet

Being that Lunars in the past  have had damp issues while still very young ,the whole warranty and  replacement materials and parts issues would suggest that choosing a  proven solvent going concern  manufacturer would be a more sensible option  at the present time until confidence is re-established.

Can new wallboard be sourced  for damp repairs or are there stocks of rear and front panels following accidental damage? Were panels and furniture fabricated in house and how easy is it to source these  things - if at all- .

Dealers may well have integrity and be well meaning on supplying SOGA warranties, but if they can't source materials it would be a difficult and long wait for a repair that a 30% plus discount up front is not going to help.

If anyone is better informed please let us all know.

3 hours ago, David 38 said:

Well if the views here on Lunar are wide spread they are bound to fail due to no one buying.

Yes Agreed ....

They need to re build brand confidence fast else it is going to be a repeat performance. You would have thought if it was a substantial purchaser wanting to create an exciting future for Lunar that the PR would be on overdrive.

Edited by Fenester
  • Thanks 1

Remember the Avondale situation? In spite of everything, Avondale make good, secondhand vans. Why should Lunar be any different?

11 minutes ago, colonel said:

Remember the Avondale situation? In spite of everything, Avondale make good, secondhand vans. Why should Lunar be any different?

I don't think Avondale went into administration.  They switched to making statics.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I don't think Avondale went into administration.  They switched to making statics.

Yes they did go into administration in  September 2008.

geoff

• +1 1

Hi Everyone,

Firstly many thanks to everyone who took time to reply, you’ve confirmed my thoughts. It’s very sad that Lunar have come to this because the one we owned was very good, no problems at all in the 4 years we had it.

We’ll be looking at other manufacturers now, or may just decide to keep our Swift a little longer.

Again thanks for the excellent feedback.

Terry

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 23/08/2019 at 16:59, colonel said:

I believe Avondales had a fibre glass moulded roof and therefore leaked a lot less. All of my Lunars leaked at a point in their lives, one of which was  only 12 months old. The replacement boards etc took forever to arrive.

Being a Lunar owner has enhanced my carpentry skills....my current 2005/6 model leaked in 2010 just out of warranty and again in 2018 both were time consuming repairs as the professional quotes were prohibitively high.

Edited by Fenester

Robinson's have offered me a three year warranty on a new  Ariva plus a discount. Factory spares, apparently, are to be available from December.

Before making a decision as to whether you wish to purchase a new Lunar you need to decide the level of risk you are prepared to accept. 

If you purchase and Lunar continue then there should be no problem.

If you purchase and they cease trading then providing YOUR caravan remains fault free you won’t have a problem

If you purchase and Lunar stop trading then warranty wise you COULD be in %-@#%@ creek!! 

If you purchase at a heavily discounted price then, in effect, you would have the money to provide your own warranty (from the money saved) 

One issue that could prove insurmountable would be the (non?)availability of body panels in the event of collision damage.

Like I said, it all depends on the level of risk you are prepared to take in regards to a £20K purchase. Me? Don’t think I would risk it.

Andy

• Like 1

where does the sale of goods come in to play?

As the purchase is from a retailer does responsibility for repairs not fall to them?

Does a warranty just place the cost of repair with the manufacturer?

Mr Plodds reasoning seems sound

macafee2

Colonel,  I see you have a Bailey Pursuit 400-2 like myself and it was a choice between it and the Lunar compact these were the only two I spotted in new ones to meet my length requirement all others too long so maybe you are like me not much choice.

I guess the Pursuit as not suited you in practice.

I find the beds just too short in the Pursuit. Having had problems with ingrowing toenails, trying to sleep can, on occasion, be painful. I like the Pursuit bathroom but hated the Phoenix when I viewed it. Fingers crossed because I have been thinking about the Ariva for a long time and have been checking some out.

On 29/08/2019 at 08:32, Mr Plodd said:

One issue that could prove insurmountable would be the (non?)availability of body panels in the event of collision damage

I'd thought about if we were unfortunate enough to be in that situation, but then realised that it would be our insurance companies problem and they would probably write off the van in that circumstance.  As I've a new-for-old policy, we'd just go out and buy another van.  It would be annoying because we really like our Lunar, but that's all.

Pursuit 400-2 is only usable as a double bed.

10 hours ago, Crannoghome said:

I'd thought about if we were unfortunate enough to be in that situation, but then realised that it would be our insurance companies problem and they would probably write off the van in that circumstance.  As I've a new-for-old policy, we'd just go out and buy another van.  It would be annoying because we really like our Lunar, but that's all.

A decent attitude BUT I would check the actual wording of any insurance policy VERY carefully.

Some state that if any particular part is unobtainable their liability will only cover the cost of that part when it was last available. So in the event of an unobtainable damaged side panel they would simply pay out the cost of the panel when it was last available, and you would be left with an unrepairable van and a few hundred quid in your pocket!

Andy

• Thanks 1

On 30/08/2019 at 22:07, David 38 said:

Pursuit 400-2 is only usable as a double bed.

I was not aware of that, but speaking from experience you could be right. Not very practical when just me and my Westie.