Hi

So my caravan (Lunar Cosmos 462) has an MRO of 1086 kg.

I took everything removable out of it and took it to a weighbridge - so carpets, power cable, step etc.  What was weighed was the caravan, the battery, the fitted motor mover, the fitted solar panel and a 6 kg gas calor lite bottle. The weight came to 1100 kg.

I was surprised that all these “add-ons” only increase the MRO by 14kg.  I mean, I guess the  carpets and power cable would have been more than 10 kg.

Any comments?

Paul

MIRO is a nominal weight which includes anything included with the van when it left the factory. It will not include the weight of a battery or mover  but will include carpets, EHU cable plastic step etc. It will also include an allowance for gas cylinder/s but this varies by brand and Model Year as the regs don't specify a weight for gas.

After all that you'll see that manufacturers give themselves a % + or - on the weight as it's doubtful any two vans weigh the same due to production tolerances in all the hundreds of parts and panels that make up a van. A slightly thicker exterior GRP or aluminium panel on both sides of a van can add kg. IIRC having an Eriba Touring in plain silver paint adds 8kg to the weight of the same van in standard white bubble effect aluminium skin.  

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I'm surprised it wasnt more.

But I guess you have removed maybe 20kg?, and added about 60kg?

So you should be about 40kg above the quoted MRO, so about 1125kg.

Thats the theory, in practise you are within say 50kg of the calculated weight so you are doing well.

It would be interesting to take the caravan over the weighbridge when loaded and see how close you are to the MTPLM.

14 hours ago, Paul90125 said:

Hi

So my caravan (Lunar Cosmos 462) has an MRO of 1086 kg.

I took everything removable out of it and took it to a weighbridge - so carpets, power cable, step etc.  What was weighed was the caravan, the battery, the fitted motor mover, the fitted solar panel and a 6 kg gas calor lite bottle. The weight came to 1100 kg.

I was surprised that all these “add-ons” only increase the MRO by 14kg.  I mean, I guess the  carpets and power cable would have been more than 10 kg.

Any comments?

Paul

Yep.  As per SDAndy MIRO is as the caravan comes from factory so would include weight of carpets, power cable and step plus an allowance for the gas bottle. 

Edited by Durbanite

I'd never treat a published MIRO as anything more than a rough guide. The caravan goes on a weighbridge as soon as it's fully kitted out with all its permanent fittings. That's the only figure that one can rely on. Whether there is water in the tank or what size gas bottle may or may not have been included in the ex-works MIRO doesn't interest me.

I look for a caravan with a large enough payload margin that about 50kg either way is not going to land me in trouble. You never know what previously unaccounted for item might have to go into the caravan later, so I want to have some leeway.