Sign in to follow this  
Pau1968

Vent Heating

Back again, will try and minimize the amount of newby questions.. but if you dont ask....

when testing our new to us van at the weekend, all seemed ok, apart from the flashing red bulb (answered in my first thread) but on testing the heating.. the heater ignited fine, and heated up rapidly, all was fine, but I couldn't seem to get the heater to blow warm air to any of the other vents. 

I adjusted the dial on right of the heater which is the vents i believe, but nothing came out anywhere... is there a switch separate from the heater that i need to do ? 

Sorry Guys, and thanks in advance if anyone knows. 

Paul

I had a 2005 Swift with blown air. From memory you should hear the fan and vertainly if turned up high. I had one vent that did not blow air I discovered. The ducting had detached from a plastic junction. Replaced the tubular ducting, fastened with some thin plastic covered garden tie wire and all was fine.

Could you hear the fan? 

Edited by Easy T

no, no fan sounds at all, my missus is saying she pointed out another dial above one of the benches, I cant remember like :) but that's not to say she didn't .. problem is, the van is in lockup now otherwise i would go and test. But there was no fan sound at all. 

Many caravans have a separate knob to control the speed of the heater fan. Often it is marked "off" at one end of the dial, a range of movement and "Auto" at the other end.

my memory is poor but I think that there were two dials above the bench. One for temperature and one for power - 0.5kw, 1kw or 2 kw. 

If the fan is not going it could always be a fuse in the fuse box and the first place to start. When you next go out take a 1 or 2 kw fan heater as backup whilst you troubleshoot. We carry a small one anyway as insurance. :) 

If it is in storage you should still be able to check it out there I would think. Doubt that you need to run heater on gas to test the fan. We have had Alde in the last two caravans

2 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Many caravans have a separate knob to control the speed of the heater fan. Often it is marked "off" at one end of the dial, a range of movement and "Auto" at the other end.

If it was like my swift it sounds like the one described by the OP on top right of the fire

If you have the Truma gas fire the control for the fan is a slide switch on the top of the fire with markings A O and a kind of tick.

A is automatic temp control of fan speed, O is off and the tick is manual speed control and the numbers on the rotating dial are the different fan speeds.

When using the fire either on gas or electric it needs time to heat up before switching the fan on.

The slide switch is , or can be temperamental or, if the fire front has been removed, become disconnected .

You can test the fan just with 12v on , no need to light the fire as it can be used in hot weather to circulate cooler air. 

8 hours ago, Brecon said:

You can test the fan just with 12v on , no need to light the fire as it can be used in hot weather to circulate cooler air. 

I thought that was the case but not having had this unit for 8 years I was not going to be categorical ...... memory you know!

This may help.

You should also be able to download the caravan manual from the coachman website which details how to use all the equipment if you did not get it supplied.