Sign in to follow this  
Sea&Sand

Pickering War Weekend

Keep us posted John......

geoff

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

'War! uh, what is it good for?" Absolutely nothing, say it again! :)

I've experienced real War more than once, I don't understand why people would want to dress up and play war for the weekend. It takes all sorts I suppose.

Most people there who dress up have never served in the military.  There has been a  big increase of more fancy dress type costumes (land girls etc), than real uniforms.  There has also been a huge increase in American costumes.    Also the women tend to like the 1950s style dresses which are not in keeping with the event. 

Posted (edited)
On 23/08/2019 at 19:19, shipbroker said:

Keep us posted John......

geoff

Hi Geoff,

My booking has been confirmed at the C&CC site,  I can now look forward to finding out for myself what the event is all about.

:)

Edited by Sea&Sand

Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Enjoy.

Thank you David.

Officially is Friday to Sunday but people do start arriving the Monday on wards so things build up in the town.

1 hour ago, Sea&Sand said:

Hi Geoff,

My booking has been confirmed at the C&CC site,  I can now look forward to finding out for myself what the event is all about.

:)

Have a great time - might see you there (amongst thousands of others!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

Officially is Friday to Sunday but people do start arriving the Monday on wards so things build up in the town.

Perhaps I should have booked an earlier arrival, I don't know if that is possible but I can check it with the site organisers.

43 minutes ago, Cherokee2015 said:

Have a great time - might see you there (amongst thousands of others!)

Thanks J&J, I will need to carry a big S&S sandwich board to be noticed by the sound of it :).

• Haha 1

Amazed that you got on John...normally full to busting on cc rallies we went on....last time couldn't get on one so went on Black Bull booking in April.

geoff

• Like 1

If you have been interested in attending a 40's event I'm sure you will find several near where you live as plenty going on.

We ourselves will be at one in Yorkshire next weekend, its a small one on a railway and not crowded as at Pickering.

https://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/events/1940s-weekend

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, David 38 said:

If you have been interested in attending a 40's event I'm sure you will find several near where you live as plenty going on.

We ourselves will be at one in Yorkshire next weekend, its a small one on a railway and not crowded as at Pickering.

We also love the Woodhall Spa 1940’s weekend in July.  The whole town takes part and although they have record numbers, it’s never crowded as it is so spaced out.  We now prefer this one to Pickering (just no trains)!

Was there last year at cxcc site, show site sold off 2017 so not part of the show anymore and no buses into the town now.

About a 1.5mile walk from show site or walk down to Black Bull pub and get service bus from there, also do very good meals and have a campsite.

Arrived home from Pickering a few hours ago, really glad that I went to this event, so very enjoyable.

Caravan site turned into a quagmire, 230 units on site I was told, 2 tractors very busy getting folks on and off the site.

A really well run event site organised by the Caravan & Camping Club, marquee with live entertainment, fantastic stewards (xxx to you all),  lots of other nice touches provide by the C&C club - well done C&C.

A great weekend and highly recommended.

BTW, I inadvertently ascended the hairpin at Sutton Bank with the caravan in tow, the experience did make me concentrate a lot until I got over the top. Hoping no one has me on camera :rolleyes:.

East Yorkshire DA  Thank you. :Thankyou:

John (Glasgow)

Edited by Sea&Sand

So are you joining in next year and what as?

14 hours ago, David 38 said:

So are you joining in next year and what as?

Yes David, I hope to return next year.

As to 'what as', hmmm- that needs further thought :unsure:.

On 01/09/2019 at 14:17, David 38 said:

We went to that one.  Had an enjoyable afternoon.  Thanks for the info!

image.png.92485ccbd6c3db9d68255d15add804d3.png

image.png.7c67020eee9639e9f17248ae573306d8.png

image.png.7e5eb8a1c200d2e6de15a5889578459b.png

• Like 1

Yes was a good weekend glad you enjoyed, I see you travelled in one of the carriages we did although not at time of your photo.

15 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

I inadvertently ascended the hairpin at Sutton Bank with the caravan in tow

Oof...! Best keep all digits crossed you get away with it, wouldn't want to end up like these unfortunate, unknown , unlicensed persons...

https://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2017/06/05/caravans-seized-sutton-bank-trip/

Mr. D drove us down there in July during our Harrogate holiday. We were in our old '05 Zafira, before we got our van (and suitable newer towcar - Mr. D finally killed the Zaf on that holiday), and that felt hairy enough.  I think that was the day we were trying to find Rievaulx Abbey, but failed, gave up, and stumbled upon Bylands instead, which was very lovely itself. That part of Yorkshire seems to have picturesque abbey ruins and frightfully posh boarding schools around every turn. 

17 minutes ago, Susan D said:

Oof...! Best keep all digits crossed you get away with it, wouldn't want to end up like these unfortunate, unknown , unlicensed persons...

https://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2017/06/05/caravans-seized-sutton-bank-trip/

I do believe the police are very keen on enforcement but these two do not look like our sort of caravanners, Travellers or New Ages maybe.