Sign in to follow this  
Sea&Sand

Pickering War Weekend

I'm thinking about going to this event and would love to hear from anyone who has attended in the past.

The CCC have a site there for this event (no ehu) and there would appear to be some other small sites relatively local to the area.

What was the  Pickering War Event like for you?

Happy to hear about the  good and not so good,  any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

Wasn’t there some controversy around this event last year?  Something to do with the wearing of 'inappropriate' uniforms?

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Wasn’t there some controversy around this event last year?  Something to do with the wearing of 'inappropriate' uniforms?

There is always one who wants to inflict their opinion on to others and in this time of PC rules and standards the organisers will probably take heed. Its a reenactment for gods sake. It happened, people can't ignore that fact.

Nothing political is correct.

Edited by BOAC
addition
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm hoping that this subject can stay on topic without straying :).

19 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

I'm hoping that this subject can stay on topic without straying :).

Goodluck with that :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have friends (non caravanners) who go every year and they love it.

Look round for cl or cs's in the area which will generally provide electric and possibly be cheaper than the temporary site.

• Like 1

I would suggest that you start looking to book now....nearest CS is Colin Doves just behind the station,his front field usually used for rallies....as are others in adjacent villages.

Inappropriate uniforms were always German ones in town,so they set up an 'Ello Ello type camp at Levisham Station with crashed gliders and ambulance stations etc.

Always well attended always fun,visitors from all over.

Geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been every year as a re-enactor for years and years.

Its sort of two events in one, the North Yorkshire Railway started it as a Wartime event to remember railway men who died doing their jobs on the railway of Britain and lost their lives serving the country doing their job.

So the NYMR invited re-actors to travel to give the public a 1940's atmosphere.  Also the stations were dressed as in wartime and have displays etc.

The town of Pickering got involved too, shop windows 40's style, dances and singers in 40's style and a big parade.  This gives what I called a sort of second event.

Now the whole thing is referred to as a Homefront event with Britain was as I remember as a child and I never saw a German soldier except on the Newsreels, this is where the trouble referred to comes in.  Re-actors are asked not to wear German uniforms in the Town or on the trains.  But to be helpful one of the stations for many years was dressed up as a French station in occupied France and that's where the German uniformed re-actors were, but last year the railway changed it at short notice to being an English station not for German uniforms.

You might find it difficult to get a place on a campsite, people re-book before they leave same goes for hotels etc.

Go you will enjoy it I'm sure and next year you will say we are going again and dressing as part of it.

• Thanks 2

Must admit thought OP seeking 2020 booking ,not this October ,as have been out of loop for while with illness.....agree the usual spots are booked year in year out as David38 says above.... we used to go to one run by EYCC at Middleton which has now stopped,last time was on one of the commercial sites down the Malton Road which was quite a hike into town although they do run shuttle buses from the Pickering Showground.

You may be lucky.

geoff

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BOAC said:

There is always one who wants to inflict their opinion on to others and in this time of PC rules and standards the organisers will probably take heed. Its a reenactment for gods sake. It happened, people can't ignore that fact.

Nothing political is correct.

I don’t disagree with you in any way.  I merely asked a question based on a vague idea that I’d heard something less than positive about the event.  

We are frequent visitors to Pickering - never during the war weekend though (having no personal interest in such events) and latterly have chosen to stay at the delightful little Coachman site up the road in Snainton. 

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Been every year as a re-enactor for years and years.

Its sort of two events in one, the North Yorkshire Railway started it as a Wartime event to remember railway men who died doing their jobs on the railway of Britain and lost their lives serving the country doing their job.

So the NYMR invited re-actors to travel to give the public a 1940's atmosphere.  Also the stations were dressed as in wartime and have displays etc.

The town of Pickering got involved too, shop windows 40's style, dances and singers in 40's style and a big parade.  This gives what I called a sort of second event.

Now the whole thing is referred to as a Homefront event with Britain was as I remember as a child and I never saw a German soldier except on the Newsreels, this is where the trouble referred to comes in.  Re-actors are asked not to wear German uniforms in the Town or on the trains.  But to be helpful one of the stations for many years was dressed up as a French station in occupied France and that's where the German uniformed re-actors were, but last year the railway changed it at short notice to being an English station not for German uniforms.

You might find it difficult to get a place on a campsite, people re-book before they leave same goes for hotels etc.

Go you will enjoy it I'm sure and next year you will say we are going again and dressing as part of it.

Informative.  Thank you.

Edited by ReggiePerrin
  • Like 1

We visited several of the stations along the North Yorks Railway one year when this was on and thought it was brilliantly done. I would love to go again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Nice site I use at Pickering great food close to railway .

https://www.blackbullcaravanpark.com/park-information/tourersandtents/

Dave

War Weekend would be 10 to 14 October and I think such a good location like others will be full.

People who book late can be as far away as Scarborough.

Black Bull was last site we stayed on as couldn't get on any rallies and we booked about Easter I seem to recall....then walked up to showground for the bus,in the rain...

geoff

We go every year, staying on a local CL which we book before we leave for the next year.   As David 38 has said it started with the railway and the town iof Pickering got involved and it became a huge event.     

We enjoy seeing the re-enactors and costumes and love the music and atmosphere.   There is a park and ride but it does  usually end up being park and walk as so busy.  It is a very well attended event and very busy.   All the stations are ‘dressed’ for the era and there are stalls selling clothes and memorabilia.    Last year Levisham did not have Le Visham, the occupied village in France with German encampment, changing it to a home front event.  An unpopular choice I think.  

In our opinion, it’s got too big for its own good and become less enjoyable in more recent years.  The railway are still trying to keep a hold in the event but the town have their own plans.   

Tips - if you want to eat out , you need to book in advance.  We usually use the New Inn or Buck Inn in nearby Thornton Dale.   

Most sites will be booked but there may be some further afield who have space.  We used to use Oak Tree Farm CL on the Newton in Rawcliffe road, so worth a try.  

The  amateur theatre (Kirk theatre) do an excellent 1940s show, but again need to book in advance

If driving in - avoid the town centre as lots of road closures and congestion.  Best to use park and ride.   There are two, A170  and A169.  

This is an outside event so if it rains you will get wet! Be prepared 

• Thanks 2

Agree about Kirk Theatre Show,first rate event.

Geoff

'War! uh, what is it good for?" Absolutely nothing, say it again! :)

I've experienced real War more than once, I don't understand why people would want to dress up and play war for the weekend. It takes all sorts I suppose.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • +1 1

Each to their own. Having served myself I have no wish to wear a uniform any more!

• +1 1

19 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

'War! uh, what is it good for?" Absolutely nothing, say it again! :)

I've experienced real War more than once, I don't understand why people would want to dress up and play war for the weekend. It takes all sorts I suppose.

I tried to make it clear it is what is called a Homefront 40's event it is Britain it is not an event that has battles.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I tried to make it clear it is what is called a Homefront 40's event it is Britain it is not an event that has battles.

Fair enough, whatever flicks your switch, still slightly odd though.

• Confused 2

Nostalgia can be wonderful if shared!

Geoff

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Nostalgia can be wonderful if shared!

Geoff

I'm sure it can but I can't imagine putting my military uniform on (it wouldn't fit anyway :)) and pretending to be back in Bosnia or Iraq.

• Confused 2

Some of the 're-reactors we met last time were ex US forces but their uniforms did fit!

Geoff

I see that CMC MidWest Centre have a rally at Vale of Pickering, probably long waiting list but may be worth checking their website.

geoff

• Thanks 1

I am grateful for all of the 'on topic' replies, very helpful and reassuring.

I have posted my booking form and payment, it remains to be seen if I have secured said booking though, will let you know.

Thanks all.

John