Electric ring on cooker

Benfica

On a recent trip out I found that the electric  ring on my Swift was not working. Baffled at first but then found that this ring is powered through a three pin plug in the bottom cupboard below the cooker. This was unplugged. This was our first time out since service and had obviously been unplugged by the dealer as a safety precaution preventing the ring being switched on accidently, thus protecting he glass cover of the cooker. I now leave it disconnected when not in use. It is quite easy to turn the knob on. 

Never ever used ours, tried it once, so slow not worth the effort. 

We have a single induction hob, VASTLY quicker and more energy efficient (it works off a 13 amp plug!)

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Use ours a lot! Heats up really fast!  Same caravan as Mr Plodd

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Is there not an interlock that prevents use of the electric hob with the cover down?

Ours shuts off the gas of course - including the grill, but I've never checked the electric one.

Must make a mental note to check it next time out.....

19 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

Is there not an interlock that prevents use of the electric hob with the cover down?

Ours shuts off the gas of course - including the grill, but I've never checked the electric one.

Must make a mental note to check it next time out.....

Don't switch leccy hob on too long as there is no interlock!

8 hours ago, PR1 said:

Use ours a lot! Heats up really fast!  Same caravan as Mr Plodd

I use ours a lot also. It may be slower to heat up but for some things I find it better. If I am doing an oven top casserole type thing I find that even with thick base stainless steel pans it is difficult to set the gas to just tick over slowly.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Ours works well too, used all the time, and the electric plate is great for simmering, quite often find the gas will not go low enough.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

• 5 months later...

Love our duel fuel stove. Would not be without it now.

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

We only had 4 items on our must-have list when we bought our latest van … and an electric hot-plate was one of them! In fact, I’d love to have a fully electric stove and do away with the nuisance of gas … but of course that’s never going to happen ☹️

John

39 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

We only had 4 items on our must-have list when we bought our latest van … and an electric hot-plate was one of them! In fact, I’d love to have a fully electric stove and do away with the nuisance of gas … but of course that’s never going to happen ☹️

John

Never say never, but it could cause a drawback now and again, for example if you stop and want to make a brew. Also, with just 16 amps available in the UK, and as little as two amps overseas, it's hard to manage without gas!

Regular readers will know that we owned a coach (!) that we ran as a motorhome. I fitted an electric hob to that. The coach had no gas what so ever - so diesel heating through the coach systems or electrics rads when on hook up. However, due to the onboard inverters and massive battery bank, we could run the electric hob through batteries or even when travellling (we didnt do the latter for safety).

For anyone want a look, the little hob is shown here and cost around £70.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

57 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

John

"never" may be here sooner than you think!

Gas cooking/heating will need to be eliminated in the long term as it creates as much NOx as diesel cars - so in 2040 when all new vehicles are electrified they'll suddenly discover that air quality has only improve marginally and gas cooking/heating will be the new bad boys

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Having enjoyed off grid caravanning, gas as an alternative fuel is essential for us, I would avoid an electric plate as it would be useless off hook up.

However dual fuel equipment :fridge, water heaters and heating cost substantial extra money no  doubt, and there must be a market for an all electric caravan,  but not for me. The move from a remote farm field to a CMC hardstanding car park with rows of people watching TV is not our thing, but each to their own.

35 minutes ago, Fenester said:

Having enjoyed off grid caravanning, gas as an alternative fuel is essential for us, I would avoid an electric plate as it would be useless off hook up.

However dual fuel equipment :fridge, water heaters and heating cost substantial extra money no  doubt, and there must be a market for an all electric caravan,  but not for me. The move from a remote farm field to a CMC hardstanding car park with rows of people watching TV is not our thing, but each to their own.

Which is exactly why many modern caravan cookers have 3 gas rings and 1 electric.

Edited by Stevan

we also have a an electric ring on the cooker, same van as Mr. Plodd and I find it okay, in fact the gas lasts me years. I do a lot of one pot cooking or stir frys and I also use the microwave and george forman grill. Our first couple of vans were Swift and had a cut off for the hob when you lowered the glass, but all my other vans haven't had the safety cut off, so we have to be more careful. 

Said it before and I will say it again.

We have a single plate induction hob, blooming brilliant bit of kit, very, and I do mean VERY, quick and runs off a 13 amp socket. 

Added advantage is that when the weather is scorchio it can be used outside where it’s a bit cooler (along with the obligatory Cadac)

Joanie

Our cooker cuts off if the lid is lowered (well at least the gas bit does!)

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

does it?  I was told by the dealer that it didn't and took his word for it.  That's good to know, I like all the safety gadgets. Thanks Andy