towing with honda crv

Pink

Hi I apologise for the long story before i begin, we used to have a santa fe hyundai, towed like a dream but has been a nightmare in engine faults, 2007 model which we bought back in 2012 to tow our elddis 550 which we purchased at the same time when beginning our caravan life, the engine went when towing caravan back in 2015, had it replaced at cost of 5000 quid then this year our steering failed, just spent 1400 quid on brakes and steering, suspension arm. The day we picked up from garage was travelling to airport and engine went again, we assume, loud knocking car stopped just dont want to chuck any more money at it, will never buy another, anyway because of their reliability, want to get a honda petrol crv, was looking at automatics as drive better, dont want diesal as only have a 7 minute commute, their towing capacity doesnt look great compared to the hyundai, seriously stressed and thinking about selling my beloved Dorris (caravan). Can anybody help.

Can't help re towing with a petrol CRV but on the auto max towing weight is 1500kgs,manual 2000kgs. I have had a diesel auto(2.2)  and it towed a Coachman Amara 520/4 without problems. Tended to hunt between 4 th and 5th (5 speed auto) Hondas are noted for being reliable and I never had any problems with reliability. If you go for one with a sunroof check that it retracts and closes without problems as it is a £600 (at least )job to rectify.

I changed my Honda CRV 2.2 I-DTEC that I bought new in 2013 for a Volvo V60 last November.  The CRV was an excellent towcar and extremely reliable.  I never had problems with the diesel engine despite doing short journeys when I wasn't towing.  I would have had another CR-V if Honda had kept the diesel engine in the new model.

Edited by Robbie

2013 Honda CR-V EX iDTEC; 2014 Swift Challenger Sport 514

The “older” CRV’s have a considerably higher towing capacity than the “newer” models. In fact the newer CRV has a lower towing capacity (I think it’s 1500kg) than my Mazda 6 estate (1600kg) 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I had a 2011 Diesel Manual CRV, great tow car and it was allowed to tow 2 tonne. I recommend it to anyone.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

One of my sons current girlfriend had a 2009 petrol manual CRV. Think the towing limit was 1500kg.They changed to a Touareg when they needed to tow a trailer with two horses. She always spoke well of it though, and was able to sell it for a good price. 

Very, very happy with our 2014 CRV 2.2 diesel (sorry cant help with petrol info).

Ours had to be manual to tow our 1800kg Delta. The manual towing limit is 2000kg, auto is 1500kg.

Thank you every one for your replies, bought a 2 litre petrol CRV today 2012 ES. Model no turbo though, 2 litre engine, manual gears lovely car just hope she tows ok ...just gotta get tow bar done now.

2 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

How far is a 7 minute commute, if in a town it might not be much more than a 10 minute walk ?

Well, if it's all on motorways it'll be 70/60*7 = 8.2 miles

On other unrestricted roads then 60/60*7 = 7 miles

Obvs that doesn't allow for starts and stops.

And I think I read somewhere that the average town speed is 11mph, so 11/60*7 = 1.3 miles 

Average walking speed is 3.5 mph, therefore walking 1.3 miles would take around 22 minutes, or 15 minutes more than in a car in town. I suspect that in a town, a pushbike would take about as long as a car.  

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Someone's got a calculator :)

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

I  worked 10 mins from home for 7 years running NA petrol cars and never had an issue.

But never towed over 1250kg with them.

Edited by xtrailman

On 22/08/2019 at 06:16, macafee2 said:

don't think a 7 minute commute will do a petrol any good.

macafee2

Not any combustion engine really but that mileage would destroy a dpf'd diesel.

A hybrid petrol or EV would be the ideal solution.  I'd probably use an electric bike the majority of the time. :)

The N/A petrol CRV is a robust unit but be prepared to work it had when towing.

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

My wife commutes 2 miles each way in the Passat 5 days a week, the car also gets used for supermarket shopping trips in town and so on - no issues other than the DPF regen light comes on every now and then so I just take the car to work (15 miles). Our Citroen’s never even warned the DPF couldn’t regen.

Sadly, she has to use the car as drop-off and collection of FB junior around work (she usually does both and always does one) means she has to travel 2 miles in 5 minutes some other way which I suppose she could do if, as a PA, she could rock up at work as a sweaty mess on her bike.

Short commutes aren’t an issue if you do also do longer trips

On 21/08/2019 at 19:23, Mr Plodd said:

The “older” CRV’s have a considerably higher towing capacity than the “newer” models. In fact the newer CRV has a lower towing capacity (I think it’s 1500kg) than my Mazda 6 estate (1600kg) 

Andy

The brand new CR-V has a lower towing weight than the previous versions, it has no diesel engine only petrol and hybrid. However the previous 1.6 twin turbo diesels (available until the end of 2018) had a max towing weight of 2000kg but only 1500 kg for the auto.

On 23/08/2019 at 10:17, FrankBullet said:

Short commutes aren’t an issue if you do also do longer trips

It depends on the Vehicle Frank.

Some will manage if you do the occasional long run but many will not.

There's many examples, even with Euro 6 engines. JLR for example have Ingenium engined models that suffer with oil dilution on short journeys with continued failed regens. The ECU logs the type of journeys you do and they will void your warranty for "Incompatible" journeys.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

That’s VERY naughty indeed isn’t it?

I bet the salesmen never mention it at purchase time either so exactly how is the poor unsuspecting customer supposed to know about it? 

Unless its made abundantly clear before you on the dotted line I would question as to whether they can actually void the warranty under those circumstances. So what they are saying is........ 

“We will sell you a means of personal transport sir but if you use it in the wrong way we will not repair it if it goes wrong, even though we know ther is an issue” 

Could you provide a link to that condition so that  Legaleagle could peruse it and give us his view ??

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

40 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

That’s VERY naughty indeed isn’t it?

I bet the salesmen never mention it at purchase time either so exactly how is the poor unsuspecting customer supposed to know about it? 

Unless its made abundantly clear before you on the dotted line I would question as to whether they can actually void the warranty under those circumstances. So what they are saying is........ 

“We will sell you a means of personal transport sir but if you use it in the wrong way we will not repair it if it goes wrong, even though we know ther is an issue” 

Could you provide a link to that condition so that  Legaleagle could peruse it and give us his view ??

Andy

Hi Andy.

Many on the JLR forums have found that yes it's in the small print and hes they have had to pay up. No one has managed to get JLR to clarify what is and what is not a "Compatible" journey though. It's been a matter of computer says no.

This document is what the dealerships have,

image.png.2279b03801912557bb38b9570eb92e1c.png

image.png.858090aadb72cd53a7c398246335c8c4.png

Mmmmm

If that vital information is not transmitted to the prospective purchaser, prior to sale, then, as I have intimated, I suspect JLR would be on VERY dodgy ground should an uninformed   customer decide to take them down the route of a legal challenge. 

Wont affect me, can’t afford JLR vehicles as I like to stick in the  2-5 year old range and don’t want crippling service costs 

IF I had the money though a Range Rover would be very near the top of my wish list.

Andy