12mm or 15mm that is the question

Say

Hi 
Bailey pageant champagne 2007 model
My question.. is the water supply 12mm or 15mm ?
I know it has blue pipes if that helps 
Want to fit an in-line whale water filter 
But the vans in storage and to save me driving there I wondered if someone on here would know 
So I don’t go and order the wrong size filter.
Regards
Mark

Out of interest why do you want a water filter as they can cause flow problems in the future? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

2 hours ago, Say said:

Want to fit an in-line whale water filter

The question usually asked here is "How to remove the filter"

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

It’s 2 mm, 

Personally I would advise against for the following reasons:

Initial and on going cost. 

A place for bacterial growth when the van is not in use.

Filtering water used for showering a dish washing.

I am all for filtering water, I do it at home.  But for the van a jug filter makes most sense in my opinion.  Or, if the site water is thought to be dodgy, bottled.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Save your money and don't bother with a filter.

As has been said, they can be a breeding ground for bacteria, they cost a lot as they have to be replaced every 30 days , they don't last a year !!!!!

The water quality in the UK and the majority of Europe is very good so a filter is not necessary.

As for bottled water,what a waste of money and just adding to the plastic problem.

There was a recent article about bottled water which was a study of the whole issue and the conclusion was that it is the biggest con of the century with the only winners being the companies and shops selling it !!!!

I have spent many hours over the years removing filters from caravans in the course of my work  and some were so old they were a health hazard to go near.

Edited by Brecon

18 minutes ago, Brecon said:

As for bottled water,what a waste of money and just adding to the plastic problem.

I generally agree with that, but have been on some sites where the water really tastes bad.  Normally over chlorinated.  That when we get the bottles.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

8 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

Normally over chlorinated.

Yes, that does happen but if you just fill a jug and leave it to stand for a while the chlorine dissipates and the taste is gone.

I have to be very careful with the fish I have at home and I have found that it does not take long for the chlorine to disperse.

Wow ok I won’t bother then

thank you all for your replies

its only I drink a lot of water and can pick up on the taste very easily, I don’t like tea or coffee and don’t care for alcohol much !

think I’ll look for a water filtered jug type that fits in the caravan fridge

any recommendations on make/type/size etc ?

Probably fair to say that all filter jugs do the much the same job... the size of any jug will be such that it will fit in the space available for it.  

We have a large Brita jug that we use for every drop of still water (for personal consumption) in the house.  It never goes in the fridge and it always goes in the caravan with us when we are away from home.  We do not keep a separate jug in the caravan as the filter would dry out and become unusable between trips.  Most if not all filter cartridges have a 30 day life.

We always buy our (Brita compatible) filters in one year packs of 12 from a company called Pozzani - much less expensive than the Brita version.  

Brita is the brand leader but other brands of jugs, and filters are available.  

Two types of filter- the Truma ones where the water inlet is on the side of the 'van and the other is an undersink cartridge type. Only the latter will give you "filtered" water. As others have said, dont even consider the Truma option but the undersink one might be worth considering if you drink lots of potable water.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

1 minute ago, Pebble said:

the undersink one might be worth considering if you drink lots of potable water.

The undersink one is the same as the Truma one, but more expensive and prone to crack along its length in winter.

11 minutes ago, Brecon said:

The undersink one is the same as the Truma one, but more expensive and prone to crack along its length in winter.

Fair point but the ones I use at work on boats have a replaceable ceramic cartridge and not a carbon one like the Truma Ultraflow.

Similar to this link but with a different cartridge.

https://www.waterfiltershop.co.uk/watts-ezfitpro-100-undersink-water-filter-kit-15mm-push-fit.html

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

Fair point but the ones I use at work on boats have a replaceable ceramic cartridge and not a carbon one like the Truma Ultraflow.

Similar to this link but with a different cartridge.

https://www.waterfiltershop.co.uk/watts-ezfitpro-100-undersink-water-filter-kit-15mm-push-fit.html

£20 per year / Twice a year cartridge change looks very good for general domestic use but in a touring caravan?  Water may lay in the filter body undisturbed for many months of each year...  not sure I’d be comfortable with that.    

The initial cost of it plus the twice annual filters would buy a lot of 5L bottles of water*  (not much wrong with properly disposed plastic bottles) but I think I prefer the jug with a thirty day continuous use (recyclable) cartridge my preferred option, especially as we take the jug from home with us and get the full thirty days of use from every single cartridge whether at home or in the caravan.

*we buy a single five litre bottle of water for every trip.  Once it is used the bottle is refilled at the site tap and that water is then 'Brita'd' for use in beverages and cooking.  At the end of each trip, the bottle is flattened and popped in a recycling bin, either on site or at home

23 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

(not much wrong with properly disposed plastic bottles)

That's the problem, whilst you may do "the right thing" and place it in the recycling bin, it is what happens after that is the problem.

It is probably shipped off to some distant place and left to rot ( only about a thousand years) there or chucked in a waterway to pollute the seas and kill many unfortunate sea dwelling animals.

It is about time that reality kicked in and plastic bottles of water were banned, but hey ho, as long as certain people are getting very rich and the rest don't care about the future for our children and grandchildren it will never happen.

We are killing our planet, killing wildlife for profit and will eventually kill the whole population...……..so much for Man and his quest for superiority...……...and cash !!!!!

The extinction of the number of animals in my lifetime is unbelievable, and all for profit and, in some countries for "medicine" ……...what are they even thinking about,,,how on earth can hair (that's what horns are made of) cure anything ………...

Edited by Brecon

10 minutes ago, Brecon said:

That's the problem, whilst you may do "the right thing" and place it in the recycling bin, it is what happens after that is the problem.

It is probably shipped off to some distant place and left to rot ( only about a thousand years) there or chucked in a waterway to pollute the seas and kill many unfortunate sea dwelling animals.

It is about time that reality kicked in and plastic bottles of water were banned, but hey ho, as long as certain people are getting very rich and the rest don't care about the future for our children and grandchildren it will never happen.

We are killing our planet, killing wildlife for profit and will eventually kill the whole population...……..so much for Man and his quest for superiority...……...and cash !!!!!

The extinction of the number of animals in my lifetime is unbelievable, and all for profit and, in some countries for "medicine" ……...what are they even thinking about,,,how on earth can hair (that's what horns are made of) cure anything ………...

Wow...  there’s a virtue signalling lecture if ever there was one.

You really must tell me how my properly disposed of handful of plastic bottles per year are connected to rhino horn etc and feel free to expand on how you recycle in the certain knowledge that everything you put in an appropriate bin ends up fully recycled and not tipped in landfill.  

It’ll be fascinating I’m sure.

6 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Wow...  there’s a virtue signalling lecture if ever there was one.

You really must tell me how my properly disposed of handful of plastic bottles per year are connected to rhino horn etc and feel free to expand on how you recycle in the certain knowledge that everything you put in an appropriate bin ends up fully recycled and not tipped in landfill.  

It’ll be fascinating I’m sure.

First of all, NO, its not a virtue signalling lecture, it is simply pointing out that we, the Human Race, are destroying the planet, very fast.

I agree that your bottles have nothing to do with horn etc but the message is the same, we are destroying the planet and the wildlife in alarming numbers, yet because it is not , apparently, happening on our doorstep, except that it is, hence the case of the so called Gamekeeper in Scotland who has slaughtered over 1000 protected animals all for the sake of paying "sportsmen" to shoot Grouse.

Of course I know that my recycling probably will not be done properly and will end up with yours on some far flung land , but  that is not the point I was making. But I try to reuse as much of my "rubbish" as I can, and compost that which is suitable.

I refuse to buy items wrapped in plastic, get my meat from a local butcher who only sells locally produced products, a local fishmonger who catches fish about 1 mile from me and fruit and veg from local farmers, all free of packaging.
The point I was trying to make, but seemed above your head, is that bottled water is a CON JOB, it has been proven to be less safe than tap water as it is not treated.

Quote " It’ll be fascinating I’m sure. "

Please,,,,,,,,,,,, sarcasm does nothing to impress.

Edited by Brecon