Jump to content

Mifi set up with Aerial.


Recommended Posts

Hi guys how do you set up a huaiew  Mifi.    With the 3000 solwise  any help guys please 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you clarify exactly what you are trying to do. Which 4G aerial have you got?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You dont - they are different items and do different jobs and dont actually Talk or connect to each other.

 

They both give you a mobile hotspot but by different means

 

A MiFi unit, has a sim card and talks to a mobile phone network 3G or 4G

 

The Solwise unit requires a USB antenna and talks to a local WiFi network, Like the site's own wifi or even BT Fon.

 

Tells us exactly (model numbers if possible or piccies) what you've got and what you are trying to achieve

 

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you are confused.

A mi-fi unit is a device that connects to the cellular system and produces a local wi-fi field for you to connect you phone/tablet/laptop. You are thus connected to the Internet by cellular data.

The Solwise 3000 - as far as I can see - is a device that connects to a wi-fi signal and gives a USB connection, i.e. to make a PC or laptop that does not have built-in wi-fi work with a local wi-fi presence.

You could use the Solwise 3000 to provide you with Internet connection through cellular for a device that does not have built-in wifi, but it seems an awfully conplex way of doing it when you can get a USB dongle into which you insert a SIM card and does the same job.

 

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, matelodave said:

You dont - they are different items and do different jobs and dont actually Talk or connect to each other.

 

A MiFi unit, has a sim card and talks to a mobile phone network

 

The Solwise unit requires a USB antenna and talks to a local WiFi network, Like the sites wifi or even BT Fon

 

 

As said . Some newer Mifi units don't have a aerial input also .

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CommanderDave said:

 

As said . Some newer Mifi units don't have a aerial input .

 

Correction there Dave.

There is nothing about age and an aerial connection, it is just down to the manufacturer whether the device has an aerial socket or not. There are several old and modern Huawei units that have aerial connections - single or double - but few other makes have them (bearing in mind that most branded products are made by Huawei bar the EE models which are Alcatel.)

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

I think you are confused.

A mi-fi unit is a device that connects to the cellular system and produces a local wi-fi field for you to connect you phone/tablet/laptop. You are thus connected to the Internet by cellular data.

The Solwise 3000 - as far as I can see - is a device that connects to wi-fi and gives a USB connection, i.e. to make a PC or laptop that does not have built-in wi-fi with a local wi-fi presence.

You could use the Solwise 3000 to provide you with Internet connection through cellular for a device that does not have built-in wifi, but it seems an awfully conplex way of doing it when you can get a USB dongle into which you insert a SIM card and it does the same job.

The Solwise unit is a router/access point and requires a USB antenna to connect to a remote WIFI  network  rather than a cellular one but it sets up a mobile hotspot, just like a MiFi unit does.

 

You use one or the other but not both at the same time

 

 

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really depends what you want to do with it. For example if its to provide your broadband at home you may choose a different one to using one when travelling about in a caravan. If its for the caravan you can't go far wrong with the Huawei E5577C which works in Europe and has 2x External antenna connector type TS-9 in case you want to use an external aerial.

 

There are of course many others but that was my choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a look here - I've got the TP-Link M7530 unit and it does what it should without any fuss and I'm sure most of the other do as well https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/internet/mobile-wifi-3656619/

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an aerial for my old 5573 with twin connection  but the newer 5573bs from 3 on a unlimited contract has no connections only the micro USB .

 

 

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, matelodave said:

The Solwise unit is a router/access point and requires a USB antenna to connect to a remote WIFI  network  rather than a cellular one but it sets up a mobile hotspot, just like a MiFi unit does.

 

You use one or the other but not both at the same time

 

 

Er, what is a USB antenna? USB is a serial data connection......

 

3 hours ago, matelodave said:

Have a look here - I've got the TP-Link M7530 unit and it does what it should without any fuss and I'm sure most of the other do as well https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/internet/mobile-wifi-3656619/

I would advise anyone to be slightly wary of some TP-Link products as they do things you don't expect. For example one of their recent plug-in wi-fi extender units (R200?) checks to see what time stations it can find and then pings one of them to get the time - this happens about every 6 seconds. It means this unit ALONE uses about 720Mb every month - not much good if you are on a 1GB download limit?

 

There's no guarantee that the unit above doesn't do the same.

 

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Er, what is a USB antenna? USB is a serial data connection......

 

I would advise anyone to be slightly wary of some TP-Link products as they do things you don't expect. For example one of their recent plug-in wi-fi extender units (R200?) checks to see what time stations it can find and then pings one of them to get the time - this happens about every 6 seconds. It means this unit ALONE uses about 720Mb every month - not much good if you are on a 1GB download limit?

 

There's no guarantee that the unit above doesn't do the same.

 

Heres a USB antenna https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-Booster-Laptop-Caravans-Motorhomes-White/dp/B00BBU7BNM- it's basically a USB wifi dongle built into a high gain antenna. You can plug it into a laptop USB port and access a wifi network or plug it into the Solwise unit to enable it to communicate with a wifi network and provide a local hotspot for multiple access. Look at the Solwise Patriot Antenna (lots more on t'interweb)

 

You can get both high gain omnidirectional and directional antenna's (antennae?) to use with it. My one has about 5m of cable so I can locate it outside the van with the router inside.

 

My TP-Link unit doesn't seem to use data like yours - my sim has lasted me the full 12 months and We've managed to get virtually the whole 12Gbit over the same period.

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Solwise unit requires a USB adapter. This is normally encapsulated in their "USB" antenna which is typically stuck to the roof of the van.

 

However, you can also use a standard usb dongle (looks like a memory adapter). This is what Solwise told me "You need the Ralink RT3070L Chipset in the USB device. If your USB adapter has this chipset then it should be fine."

 

So ditto you can use a mifi USB dongle too which was the OPs original question.

 

I suggest to plug the dongle in and browse to the Solwise management page. Hopefully it should be plug and play. You won't be able to use the Mifi routers though...

 

 

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PandR said:

The Solwise unit requires a USB adapter. This is normally encapsulated in their "USB" antenna which is typically stuck to the roof of the van.

 

However, you can also use a standard usb dongle (looks like a memory adapter). This is what Solwise told me "You need the Ralink RT3070L Chipset in the USB device. If your USB adapter has this chipset then it should be fine."

 

So ditto you can use a mifi USB dongle too which was the OPs original question.

 

I suggest to plug the dongle in and browse to the Solwise management page. Hopefully it should be plug and play. You won't be able to use the Mifi routers though...

 

 

The OP still hasn't come back and told us what kit he's got and what he's trying to do, His last post just ask ed which is the best MiFi on the arket.

 

Which really hasn't enlightened us much at all and wont actually give him much of an answer if we are all having a guess and speculating on what he's trying to do.

 

He hasn't suggested that he's got a dongle but seems to want to connect a mifi unit to a USB router but again that's my guess based on minimal information

 

 

 

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, matelodave said:

The OP still hasn't come back and told us what kit he's got and what he's trying to do, His last post just ask ed which is the best MiFi on the arket.

 

Which really hasn't enlightened us much at all and wont actually give him much of an answer if we are all having a guess and speculating on what he's trying to do.

 

He hasn't suggested that he's got a dongle but seems to want to connect a mifi unit to a USB router but again that's my guess based on minimal information

 

 

 

After re-reading his original post said he has a Huawei Mifi device in which case he won't be able to plug that into a Solwise.

 

He'll need to pop the Sim card into a USB dongle which will plug into it.

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...