Problems on the way home from Cognac

AlanNancy

I had been to a large cycle event in Cognac. We left the campsite on Sunday morning the plane being to stop half way to the Chunnel on Sunday afternoon. Then Monday stop again at Rue a small town about one hour from the Chunnel. Our booking was for 10.20 Tuesday morning.

We set off making good progress in the pouring rain. After about one hundred and fifty miles I noticed a slight whistling sound coming from the engine, some miles later the engine started to loose  power. I was forced to alter between auto and manual gear change using the very low first gear on some of the long hill doing only 20 mph.

I thought that the turbo had failed. We pushed on and eventually stopped at a campsite just over 100 miles from the Chunnel. On Monday morning I telephoned Euro Tunnel and asked if it was possible to get on an earlier train (I have the Frequent Traveller Tickets). I was told the cost of changing travel time was £20 (very reasonable) several times were offered and I chose 18.20. I then telephoned my garage in the UK and was told to drop the car (Volvo XC90) off to them on Tuesday.

I drove to within 30 miles of the Chunnel and stopped at an Aires. Two hours before the train departure time I set of for the Chunnel. Getting back to the UK it took about three and a half hours to get home to Bognor Regis. 

Tuesday I took the car in and tried to figure out how much a new turbo was going to cost!!! About an hour later the garage phoned to say that two seals had failed, they had ordered them from Volvo the cost being £4.50 each plus fitting. I got the car back on Thursday morning , total cost £149.

Alan

£20 is reasonable, they charged me £60 in June this year just for altering the time by 3 hours later due to a malfunction

Les

Never mind the £20, I was thinking that you got away lightly with £149 for a turbo problem.

If I didn't have cover from Warranty Direct I would probably have to sell several internal organs if the turbo went petong on my Discovery B)

Land Rover is now back towing.

6 minutes ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Never mind the £20, I was thinking that you got away lightly with £149 for a turbo problem.

If I didn't have cover from Warranty Direct I would probably have to sell several internal organs if the turbo went petong on my Discovery B)

Yes I had already cancelled my wife's new hat just in case!

Alan