Sign in to follow this  
Charliefarlie

Steadies

Being a newbie I’m wondering how much load we can put on the steadies ? I’m assuming we level the vans with them ? 

Ive bought a set of the plastic shoe things that go on each one to help stop them sinking in if the ground is soft. 

Ive also seen a tool that goes into a battery drill to speed up dropping the steadies. How many do it by drill and how many by the old handle ?

Cheers 👍

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Charliefarlie said:

I’m assuming we level the vans with them ?

Not at all.   You don't lower the steadies until the van is level.   Yes!   It's quicker and easier to use a drill to raise and lower the legs.   Wind each leg until it touches the ground firmly, then give it a quarter turn.  

Edited by Jaydug
  • +1 1

They are steadies,  not jacks,  so you  definitely don't use them for levelling  the  van.

Get the van level first, maybe using a wooden block or plastic ramp under the "downhill " wheel, and the jockey wheel for fore/aft. Then lower the steadies.  I use a drill/driver after thirty odd years of doing it hand-matic. 

• Like 1

Do not use them  as jacks, or for levelling, they are steadies only!

• +1 1

Posted (edited)

A casual glance at their construction and attachment to the floor should easily dispel any ideas of using them for jacking. A good ramp (home made or purchased) or Lock & Level airbag (great for twin axles) is the ideal for side to side leveling.

Edited by GaryB1969

Caravan Steadies, the clue is in the description

As said they are steadies only putting to much strain on them can twist the chassis and bodywork and cause seals to leak or cause a steady to be pushed through the floor .

"To the ground and once around" .

Dave

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Level the 'van,  side to side,  using a levelling aid under the wheel(s) on  whichever side (if any) is lowest ,  then level front to back using the jockey wheel.   Then lower the steadies and tension by half a turn - job done.  On some surfaces the steadies may need a little more tension after a few days when things have settled.   As others have said the steadies are just that - they are not jacks.  Some folk use a drill to lower the steadies as they find it easier/quicker than using the crank, but you get to 'feel' the tension by using the crank, it's down to personal preference really.

John.    :)

Edited by Leedslad
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

13 hours ago, Charliefarlie said:

Being a newbie I’m wondering how much load we can put on the steadies ? I’m assuming we level the vans with them ? 

No No No !

They are called "steadies" for a reason. First level the caravan from side to side using either ramps under a wheel (and chocking the wheel in place) or dedicated accessories for raising a wheel. Once level side to side, use the jockey wheel to level the caravan from front to back. 

Once completely level, then - and only then - lower the steadies to bring them in firm contact with the ground (but not to lift the caravan) so they take away any movement of the suspension caused by walking inside the caravan.

13 hours ago, AlwynMike said:

They are steadies,  not jacks,  so you  definitely don't use them for levelling  the  van.

:goodpost:Well said AlwinMike 

12 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Once completely level, then - and only then - lower the steadies to bring them in firm contact with the ground (but not to lift the caravan) so they take away any movement of the suspension caused by walking inside the caravan.

I seem to remember it being said about winding down stradies - 'Down to the ground and once around'.

I raised a similar issue before as I had seen many cases of front steadies and jockey wheel all up on blocks to allow front to end levelling on a sloping pitch where jockey wheel adjustment alone wouldn't cut it.  The majority view then seemed to be that it was OK to temporarily take the weight on the front steadies whilst reclamping and repositioning the jockey wheel with blocks underneath so as to achieve the necessary level.  I appreciate that is very different from forces involved in actually jacking up on the steadies but I'm still unsure as that practice must still be creating pressures greater than recommended.

I saw last year someone jacking up the front end to hitch up, with the  front steadies, rather than use the jockey wheel.

Level front to rear with the jockey wheel, level side to side with these:   https://www.towsure.com/caravanning-equipment-and-motorhome-accessories/levellers-and-chocks?cat=636

Go steady with the steadies.

22 minutes ago, Benny65 said:

I saw last year someone jacking up the front end to hitch up, with the  front steadies, rather than use the jockey wheel.

That's a strange thing to do but not as bad as levelling the caravan with all 4 steadies, if just jacking up the front with the steadies the weight of the caravan will just pivot around the axle.

I now regularly see people with powerful cordless drills lowering and raising the steadies until the torque limiter kicks in raising the van, or forcing the steadies against the stops, also using the steadies to level the van. I use a cordless drill but only to get close to the ground or close to the stops, I then use the crank to "feel" the steadies into place, going around the van until the steadies are firm, and vice versa.  

37 minutes ago, Benny65 said:

If there is nobody in the front of the van and the rear steadies are up I see no problem with that. I think the jockey wheel is easier though!.

11 minutes ago, bobthevanman said:

I now regularly see people with powerful cordless drills lowering and raising the steadies until the torque limiter kicks in raising the van, or forcing the steadies against the stops, also using the steadies to level the van. I use a cordless drill but only to get close to the ground or close to the stops, I then use the crank to "feel" the steadies into place, going around the van until the steadies are firm, and vice versa.  

I use a drill with the torque set to a suitable limit and have done on three caravans without problem. Just depends on the torque setting.

I saw photos on here years ago when a twin was jacked with steadies front and back and the aluminium side wall had a crease from top to bottom by a window  as the caravan tried to banana.

You still see the occasional caravan wheel left hanging on sites when the owner has used the steadies as Jacks and then wonder why they have damp or the door does no shut properly . 

Dave

A few years ago I tried to prevent a Spanish guy from levelling his van by using the steadies.   He didn't want to be told!   He left it all weekend with a family of five inside and the wheel hanging 3" off the ground

2014609240_Misuseofcornersteadies..jpg.2b50ae36f90862bb9f242c23d9f689f7.jpg.4f609f36834bd3ec64ac60544851c268.jpg

33 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

A few years ago I tried to prevent a Spanish guy from levelling his van by using the steadies.   He didn't want to be told!   He left it all weekend with a family of five inside and the wheel hanging 3" off the ground

2014609240_Misuseofcornersteadies..jpg.2b50ae36f90862bb9f242c23d9f689f7.jpg.4f609f36834bd3ec64ac60544851c268.jpg

If you remove the sunlight and substitute sheeting rain; a very similar scene to what I came back to after a day out from a CS near Hexham. The pitch was on a farm and covered in slate flakes. One or more of the farm dogs was in the process of  excavating the slate under the caravan wheel  and levelling ramp to leave it suspended. The remains of a furry creature could be seen in the gap under our caravan wheel. As I examined the diggings a gentle pong of dead animal wafted around. My fast and dirty solution was to put the caravan axle tube on the bottle jack for the remainder of our stay. I didn't want to interrupt the dog's quest for the dead animal which I was sure it would resume as soon as we went out again and I certainly didn't want to move caravan and awning. The following day the hole had got bigger and the evidence and pong had gone. The caravan suvived.

• Haha 1

when we were first caravanning , we were hitching up to go home and was having a bit of trouble when a kindly gent came over to help and that is exactly what he did, used the front steadies to lift the caravan onto the car. I said that it wasn't right to do that and he replied that it was no bother.  Since then  we learned very quickly how to hitch up correctly.:)

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

I've seen a few muppets doing that in Spain

A guy in a fairly new Bailey did the same on the pitch next to me at Moreton in Marsh, he would'nt be told either. What I was thinking was,... if/when he part exchanges that van, the next owner is in for some grief he was totally unaware of.

Dave.

Mr Alko says:

Note: Corner steadies are not designed to be used as a jack or as the means of lifting the trailer or caravan off the ground. They are designed to stabilise the trailer or caravan when stationary.

The “drop down” corner steady requires only a small amount of winding to steady the caravan. The top of the range corner steady is the
German designed 1000 kg heavy duty steady which is the ultimate in strength and style

Of course they may only be steadies, but when you seat, for example 4 x 100kg adults (400kg) at the front end of the van and the jockey wheel is safely tucked up off the ground, how much weight can those steadies take before the integrity of the caravan is damaged?  Does even walking to the front of the van overload them?

If they are only to take minimal weight, what are the point of heavy duty steadies that can take 1000kg each?

4 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I've seen a few muppets doing that in Spain

Not me Borussia or was it !!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

Not me Borussia or was it !!

Not unless you’re Dutch 😂😂

Dutch = NL = nur limonade