Sign in to follow this  
klyne

Petition against new Motorhome Tax

27 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

One solution is the UK coach builder becomes the first owner and registers the vehicle at the first purchase from the base vehicle manufacturer at the base price before the conversion ?

Dave

Maybe that's already in place and the reason dealers are switching to selling "used" motorhomes only.

For some time, Devon have offered their conversions on used panel vans, reducing the price significantly.

7 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Maybe that's already in place and the reason dealers are switching to selling "used" motorhomes only.

For some time, Devon have offered their conversions on used panel vans, reducing the price significantly.

The wording is the LIST PRICE of the vehicle at the time of registration before extras  . Why can't the conversion be listed as extras ?

Majority over 3500 kg Motorhomes like caravans are sold with a lower weight to help B licence holders but can be uploaded with a paper change so you register it at the higher weight then just down plate it to 3500 kg ?

Edited by CommanderDave

On 21/09/2019 at 14:29, Mr Plodd said:

I don’t think there is the huge difference in the cost of Diesel either side of the channel like was the case years ago. The hike in fuel tax is the major causation factor  in the “Gilet jeune” protests in France of the past few months. 

Andy

But go to Luxembourg for the cheapest fuel in 'proper' Europe.

Diesel as of today is the equivalent of 95p per litre, and it is that price at EVERY service station, including those on motorways!

The Luxembourg government views vehicle fuel as an essential, like water, gas and electricity.

But getting back on topic I feel that if you can afford to buy a £45,000 + motorhome as well one other or possibly two other (his n hers) day to day vehicles, then you can easily afford a bit more tax.

If you can't ,sell the 'cool' motorhome and get a caravan that gives you much more room and more flexibility. Or perhaps you already have a third little tow car behind the motorhome as well - you can afford it!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The road toad said:

But go to Luxembourg for the cheapest fuel in 'proper' Europe.

Diesel as of today is the equivalent of 95p per litre, and it is that price at EVERY service station, including those on motorways!

The Luxembourg government views vehicle fuel as an essential, like water, gas and electricity.

But getting back on topic I feel that if you can afford to buy a £45,000 + motorhome as well one other or possibly two other (his n hers) day to day vehicles, then you can easily afford a bit more tax.

If you can't ,sell the 'cool' motorhome and get a caravan that gives you much more room and more flexibility. Or perhaps you already have a third little tow car behind the motorhome as well - you can afford it!

Love this retort!  Our caravan doesn't have any road tax and is far less trouble than a engine driven motorised caravan

40 minutes ago, TedNewman said:

Love this retort!  Our caravan doesn't have any road tax and is far less trouble than a engine driven motorised caravan

But your next tow car ?

Dave

4 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

But your next tow car ?

Dave

??

19 minutes ago, TedNewman said:

??

It is getting difficult to buy a new larger 4x4 and prestige tow vehicles that are listed price under 40k .

Are not only the motorhome sales effected but also larger caravans ?

Edited by CommanderDave

32 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

It is getting difficult to buy a new larger 4x4 and prestige tow vehicles that are listed price under 40k .

Executive car sales are likely to hold up as these are largely corporate sales/lease. Private car sales figures are probably affected to the same extent as motor caravans, but statistics?

New car sales have been in the doldrums for ages and there aren't many company cars around, compared to a decade or so ago. Most companies offer a car allowance and people source their own vehicle using the allowance. Not sure why you'd hold off buying a replacement if you're getting a car allowance but maybe it's like house buying, people are worried their job might disappear.

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

Only those with more money than sense buy new,  get a 2 year old low mileage one with an engine that isn't even run in yet and save £15,000 to £30,000.

However I'm glad they do as it keeps a good flow of used, nearly new vehicles for the rest of us.

27 minutes ago, The road toad said:

Only those with more money than sense buy new,  get a 2 year old low mileage one with an engine that isn't even run in yet and save £15,000 to £30,000.

However I'm glad they do as it keeps a good flow of used, nearly new vehicles for the rest of us.

Motorhome used prices only drop very slowly, unlike cars, so getting that used bargain is more difficult.

33 minutes ago, The road toad said:

If less people are prepared to pay 4500 pound in VED the secondhand vehicles will be in short supply and not cheap ?

Dave

3 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

If less people are prepared to pay 4500 pound in VED the secondhand vehicles will be in short supply and not cheap ?

Dave

Market forces will prevail. If new ones arent selling, manufacturers will find a way to lower the prices.

Was there a flurry of motorhome registrations prior to September 1st to beat the tax?Same as happened with cars in the first quarter of 2017.Record sales then the market falls flat. 

13 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Was there a flurry of motorhome registrations prior to September 1st to beat the tax?Same as happened with cars in the first quarter of 2017.Record sales then the market falls flat. 

You can still get the pre tax models unregistered until the new models come along in the 2020 models but are drying up . I know someone that bought a new 60k motorhome this week to beat the new models and new tax .

36 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

You can still get the pre tax models unregistered until the new models come along in the 2020 models but are drying up . I know someone that bought a new 60k motorhome this week to beat the new models and new tax .

My point exactly - if he can afford a £60,000 luxury item then a little extra tax won't even be noticed! Time to get real.

• Like 1

No extra tax on caravans, only standard VAT.

While our Santa Fe was being serviced we looked at the new model, over £40Kso  £440ish road tax for first few years.

Ours is 3 years old and only done 23, 000 miles so not going to change yet.

Insaw an article in paper about a guy complaining his BMW I3 electric car has the same  high tax!

With extras it was over £40k, well tough he didn't have to buy it!

Might be electric but still uses the road!

Edited by 664DaveS

2 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

... I saw an article in paper about a guy complaining his BMW I3 electric car has the same  high tax!

With extras it was over £40k, well tough he didn't have to buy it!

Might be electric but still uses the road! ... 

I think I saw the same article, the owner failed to make the necessary inquiries before purchase,  the supplying garage was remiss in not fully explaining the impact of exceeding the £40k threshold, the car was an i3-Range Extender, so not a pure EV therefore does not benefit from the EV tax benefits, the journalism was dreadful because they quoted the situation with motor-homes completely ignoring the fact that VED rules have changed for motor-homes.

I'm sure it is not the first time this mistake has been made and it won't be the last,  while the responsibility ultimately lies with the owner the supplying dealers could behave better,  but of course they're probably thinking about commission on sales and don't want to risk their deal.  

I'm sure its a problem many people would like to be in a position to experience.  

When we looked at the Santa Fe, all the cars in the showroom had mpg, road tax and emissions clearly shown. Seems to be standard now, maybe a legal requirement?

I always  ask what the road tax is. I recently bought a 6 month old Mini convertible ( ex demo). The sales lady told me the  road tax amount, which I had to pay on collection.  The tax refund on my trade in was more!

Govt has to find a way to bleed us dry!

Unfortunately there are not many new motorhomes under the £40k price.

1 hour ago, 664DaveS said:

When we looked at the Santa Fe, all the cars in the showroom had mpg, road tax and emissions clearly shown. Seems to be standard now, maybe a legal requirement?

I always  ask what the road tax is. I recently bought a 6 month old Mini convertible ( ex demo). The sales lady told me the  road tax amount, which I had to pay on collection.  The tax refund on my trade in was more!

Govt has to find a way to bleed us dry!

Unfortunately there are not many new motorhomes under the £40k price.

The number of tow cars under £40,000 list price is dwindling rapidly.

May help used values.

Sign in to follow this