klyne

Petition against new Motorhome Tax

I appreciate this  might not appeal to many caravanners, however if at any stage in the future any of you decide to change this petition could be of interest. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/268246

David

Done. It doesn't affect me and i'm sceptical about the effectiveness of petitions but no war was ever won on the back of complacency.

Done.

Done and shared to Facebook

Done

What is the new motor home tax?

Mr, Klyne. Please explain.. I don't understand what it's about. 

Done

Done

Is this the proposal to tax new motor homes in the same way as cars, by emissions, rather than as goods vehicles?

I can see problems for small scale converters having to get their vehicles certified. Other than that, it seems pretty fair to me, at least inasmuch as any VED is fair. I doubt it will be applied retrospectively. 

Done. Good luck

Done

6 minutes ago, Fireman Iain said:

Is this the proposal to tax new motor homes in the same way as cars, by emissions, rather than as goods vehicles?

I can see problems for small scale converters having to get their vehicles certified. Other than that, it seems pretty fair to me, at least inasmuch as any VED is fair. I doubt it will be applied retrospectively. 

I don't see the problem - if a motorhome has a Certificate of Conformity, then VED is on the same basis as cars - otherwise it's on the same basis as light goods vehicles, which is what they're converted from.

Motorhomes create more CO2 than almost all cars/SUVs.

• Confused 1
  • +1 1

21 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I don't see the problem - if a motorhome has a Certificate of Conformity, then VED is on the same basis as cars - otherwise it's on the same basis as light goods vehicles, which is what they're converted from.

Motorhomes create more CO2 than almost all cars/SUVs.

Isn't it more to do with the punitive taxation of cars with a list price greater than 40k regardless of emissions?

That tax was supposed to target rich peeps but presumably will apply to just about any motorhome owner.

If people are unclear about the petition it does not bode well

• Like 2

im not currently a motorhomer but ive signed it

5 minutes ago, robbie244 said:

im not currently a motorhomer but ive signed it

Same here.

Signed and passed on to others for their support.

The proposed new tax is punitive and could be very damaging to the industry at probably the worst time.

Motorhomes are leisure vehicles and as such are more vulnerable to taxation than commercial vehicles because they contribute and generate a lot less to business wealth - on a par with  "the soft underbelly" for those old enough to remember the quote from the 1980s.

What exactly is the problem?

10 hours ago, CJ1149 said:

Signed and passed on to others for their support.

The proposed new tax is punitive and could be very damaging to the industry at probably the worst time.

Motorhomes are leisure vehicles and as such are more vulnerable to taxation than commercial vehicles because they contribute and generate a lot less to business wealth - on a par with  "the soft underbelly" for those old enough to remember the quote from the 1980s.

So is the tax on fuel but money needs to be taken by the government to run the country, this doesnt seem unreasonable to me.

• +1 1

Not signed.  Because the OP has not explained the tax.  And why it is thought to be unfair.  Also the link to the petition is equally uninformative.

John

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Does this mean cars will need to be tax different including any added extras as a motorhome is only sold for about less than 20k from the vehicle manufacturer to the coachbuilder or converter in a PVC then resold to the new buyer .

Emissions are based on the base vehicle at the moment ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

13 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Does this mean cars will need to be tax different including any added extras as a motorhome is only sold for about less than 20k from the vehicle manufacturer to the coachbuilder or converter in a PVC then resold to the new buyer .

Emissions are based on the base vehicle at the moment ?

Dave

I think you have the wrong end of the stick.  Road tax only applies from first registration, not from a spurious "chassis maker to coachbuilder" transfer.  Therefore the road tax applied is the RT applicable to the state of the vehicle when registered by the dealer on sale to an end customer.  I also don't think it's unreasonable, that a vehicle costing north of £40,000 pays extra tax.  

MH's and caravans are definitely "luxury goods"

• Like 2