Wednesday evening was a bit chilly so decided to use the night mode heating for half an hour. This is my fourth time out in the van, and I’ve struggled every time to get this working properly.

I find the instruction manual difficult to follow, seems to be more suited to service engineers than users, and instructions aren’t clear. Why not incorporate a ‘simple start up’ guide for basic operations?

I don’t find it difficult. I have the day setting to come on at 7am (we get up around 7.30-8.00) and that gets van up to 17 degs and water heated. Daytime goes off at 5.30pm and the system then defaults to manual, so I can play with the temperature during the evening if it needs to go up a notch. Night setting then kicks in at 10pm, when I have the temperature set to 14 degs (in case of a chilly night) and water is off. All works well  and I never have to change the timed settings. On the subject of a quick start guide, you may some useful info in your caravan manual, but there are also some very useful YouTube videos showing you how to alter the settings.

It took me a little time to get my head around the Alde controller logic.  But once I did I find it really easy to use.   Firstly there are three timer zones, Day, Night and default.   Default is effectively the on setting and you can alter that straight from the initial screen on the controller.   If day or  night modes are operating then you have to alter them from their individual screens. 

The way ours is set up normally is. 

Night mode 10C on at 23 30 off at 06 30am

Default 20C 06 30 to 09 30am

Day mode 15C  9 30 am to 4 30pm 

Default 4 30pm to 11 30pm. 

We the battery backup fitted so the controller doesn’t loose settings.  So simply switch it off at the end of a stay and switch it on at beginning of the next one.   For me the key point was the default setting is effectively the on setting.   So if you know you are going to get back late, you may alter the night setting from 23 30 to 1 00am. 

I know now it is likely are going to post, something like:

tbh mate we don’t bother with the controller we just switch it on and off when

we need to”

For, me this is like using a Ferrari only in second gear and I would ask is that how they use the central heating system at home?

• Like 1

Oddly enough this morning I managed to figure out how to set the 'day mode' and 'night mode' Alde heating in our new Challenger.

Here are a couple of diagrams that may help.

BTW you will need to ensure that the Alde clock is set to the correct time and date.

Hope this helps

BH

Alde 1.jpg

Alde 2.jpg

Alde 3.jpg

Alde 4.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Wednesday evening was a bit chilly so decided to use the night mode heating for half an hour. This is my fourth time out in the van, and I’ve struggled every time to get this working properly.

I find the instruction manual difficult to follow, seems to be more suited to service engineers than users, and instructions aren’t clear. Why not incorporate a ‘simple start up’ guide for basic operations?

There is a simple start up guide supplied with the documentation.  We have a backup battery fitted so our night temp is set for 17C between 10pm and 6am.  It then reverts to day more which by default is set to 20c.  No need to set a day mode.

Edited by Durbanite

I've got the earlier version of the control panel and it is indeed a service engineer's interface.

To be honest I don't want to pay the zillion quid that Alde charge for a panel upgrade and battery backup,  so the wife fiddles around with temperature settings either side of going to bed.

Thanks to all for replies. I’ve previously set both day and night modes, but with partial success.

I suspect one mistake I make is to attempt to switch to mode while within the time zone, this seems to prevent switch on. Alde do a quick start guide but for their 3010, I have the 3020, having said that the online manual seems more user friendly than my hard copy.

2 hours ago, Blackhart said:

Oddly enough this morning I managed to figure out how to set the 'day mode' and 'night mode' Alde heating in our new Challenger.

Here are a couple of diagrams that may help.

BTW you will need to ensure that the Alde clock is set to the correct time and date.

Hope this helps

BH

Alde 1.jpg

Alde 2.jpg

Alde 3.jpg

Alde 4.jpg

Thanks Blackhart. What do the two symbols on bottom left of the last picture signify? I assume the crossed out shower means no water heater operation?

Hello Dave

The symbol on the far left adjusts the display of the screen. You can turn it so that it is 'inverted' so that it does not disturb anyone sleeping in the lounge. Press it to 'invert' and the button goes green

The 'shower' symbol allows you to turn off the domestic hot water during the night. Again press it and it goes green to show that it is activated.

Here is a useful video from Alde

You'll soon get used to it, it does seem a bit complicated at first though doesn't it?

BH

Thanks again BH! Now you’ve written the quick guide for Alde, you should claim royalties!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fred said:

tbh mate we don’t bother with the controller we just switch it on and off when

we need to”

For, me this is like using a Ferrari only in second gear and I would ask is that how they use the central heating system at home?

Afraid we do. Heating and hot water on 24/7/52 just turn the stat up or down to suit. Boiler is now 24 years old and working perfectly. Had 2- 3 way valves one pump and one flue fan. 

I've got to say I struggle with it.

I want a minimum temperature overnight say around 12 degrees. I can do that with night mode.

I then want the van at 20 between 7 and 9, so that has to be day mode. Then maybe a default of 16 during the day and finally 21 between 18:00 and 23:00.

Am I missing something?

You need to set the 7 -9 and 18-23 to the same temperature 20.5? As the default and then use the day mode between 9-18.