Sign in to follow this  
PAMANDROB

Filling up flush water for toilet?

Feel like I'm being really dim but can't figure out how to fill up the flush water on our caravan toilet.

It's a Thetford C200 CWE in an Abbey Spectrum 540 2003.

At first I thought it came automatically off the water supply but  now I don't think the CWE does.

I have the little door above the main door where you take the toilet out to empty it. It would make sense to fill the water tank up here but inside there is a black wire and a grey wire. Is that normal? It doesn't make me want to pour water in it but I can't see how else it works.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance.

I don't think that's unusual. Is there any pink staining around the flap / tank indicating it's been previously filled.

That little door above the door where you empty the toilet is where you fill the flush tank. The wires your seeing will be for the pump.

No pink staining. It must go in there though.  Will wait and see if a couple of people can def confirm the wires before I chuck water in there! Thanks for your reply.

3 minutes ago, hinchy said:

That little door above the door where you empty the toilet is where you fill the flush tank. The wires your seeing will be for the pump.

Thanks! Will fill it up. Another caravan mystery solved for me 😁

4 hours ago, PAMANDROB said:

I have the little door above the main door where you take the toilet out to empty it. It would make sense to fill the water tank up here but inside there is a black wire and a grey wire. Is that normal? It doesn't make me want to pour water in it but I can't see how else it works.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Yep, that's where you fill it.

image.png

Google image

Hopefully that's not Thetford Blue fluid you're poring in there Grandpa Steve.

For PamandRob the Thetford Blue fluid should only go in the toilet cassette, you can put Thetford Pink into the flush reservoir.   The blue in the flush reservoir will permanently stain the toilet bowl

Other makes of toilet fluids are different, for example we use Supakem which is blue but is suitable for use in both the cassette and flush reservoir.

As has been said the flush water does indeed go in that opening above the cassette door, but just use plain ordinary water, there is no benefit to adding any of the "additives" on sale especially Thetford Pink.

They can, and do cause a lot of algae to grow in the flush tank, eventually damaging your pump.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

5 minutes ago, Brecon said:

As has been said the flush water does indeed go in that opening above the cassette door, but just use plain ordinary water, there is no benefit to adding any of the "additives" on sale especially Thetford Pink.

They can, and do cause a lot of algae to grow in the flush tank, eventually damaging your pump.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. In 35+ years of using a pink flush fluid in my top/flush tank, never had anything like what you have described. My currant van I have had for 12 years has worked faultlessly and I leave it in the tank over the winter period where I don't use it for about 4 months. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Bonne Chance.

Thetford changed the formula about 5 years ago which had a chance of 'black bits'....their current mix is fine.....Use Elsan myself or plain water.

geoff

I added some toilet fluid flush once many years ago...can't remember which one but it end up blocking the pump. Luckily just removing the punp and cleaning it fixed it. Never had a problem since   just using fresh water now like I do at home.  Chemicals just in the holding tank.

A squirt of washing up liquid in the flush tank is what I have been using for over a year now, I have no plans to change to anything else because....................................... it works well :).

I use pink because it smells nice!

3 hours ago, Vanning Man said:

Hopefully that's not Thetford Blue fluid you're poring in there Grandpa Steve.

It was the best image I could find on Google but there is nothing to stop you putting Blue in the flush tank.

4 hours ago, PAMANDROB said:

No pink staining. It must go in there though.  Will wait and see if a couple of people can def confirm the wires before I chuck water in there! Thanks for your reply.

Thanks! Will fill it up. Another caravan mystery solved for me 😁

You may find it helpful to have a look at your handbook. The operation of the toilet in your van is shown on pages 89-91. 

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/015/original/1048547_Caravan_Owners_Hbook_2003.pdf?1472743465

14 hours ago, PAMANDROB said:

Feel like I'm being really dim but can't figure out how to fill up the flush water on our caravan toilet

Our previous was a 2001 Swift group product and it had the manual Thetford loo. I think rather than a separate little door for filling it just had a sort of outlet funnel that you poured the water straight into that was built into the side of the van.

We've never bothered with additional fluids in the top tank. A lot of the people on Facebook use Zo Flora, but I think they are also the people that buy Yankee Candles.