Sign in to follow this  
PR1

Empty Caravan and Motorhome Club sites!

apart from the people booking the week ends, has anyone given a thought that those who book full weeks also include week end bookings  ;)

54 minutes ago, joanie said:

apart from the people booking the week ends, has anyone given a thought that those who book full weeks also include week end bookings  ;)

They should be killed  with fire :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, joanie said:

The issue is surely not being able to book a longer break, a family holiday of two weeks at Chatsworth or Castletown say, because there is no pitch availability on the Friday and / or Saturday nights.

The chances are of course that there may be late cancellations but for a family holiday it is a risk to take a wait and see chance.

Happily for just my wife and I, if we have left it to the last minute to book something we simply arrange the trip around what is available and move along accordingly.  

We are quite untroubled by weekends per se... they are no different to week days for us and as long we have a hook up, clean site facilities and some decent walking (peaks, dales, lakes, coastal etc) we make our trips fit the availability at the time we want to be away from home.

7 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

They should be killed  with fire :D

Harsh.  Very harsh but fair.  

Wardens issued with flame throwers and fire proof suits could be the next big thing for the Clubs looking for new gimmicks.  I wonder how it would sit with site health and safety policy?  :);)

Edited by ReggiePerrin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Harsh.  Very harsh but fair.  

Wardens issued with flame throwers and fire proof suits could be the next big thing for the Clubs looking for new gimmicks.  I wonder hid it would sit with site health and safety policy?

Providing the spacing between units is correct it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Durbanite said:

.  We are currently members and have been for a couple of months but still have not used a CS or a C&CC site due to poor website

It all seemed fine last time we used it in June. There was a period when the CS bit wasn't working properly.

We use both CS and CL but CS are well ahead and it must mostly be on location because that's how we choose.

5 hours ago, moorgate said:

And yet people are still posting on here to say that they feel it necessary to book months and months ahead, that deposits should be charged, and that they can't get weekend vacancies.  The facts seem to show a different picture.  

We don't use them either (well very rarely). 

But aren't people saying that the sites show as full until just before the "mark against you deadline" and then pitches become available.

Essentially, the current system favours those who can plan far ahead and the least minute people (like us) but is not so good for the 2 week - 3 month planners

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, svimes said:

Essentially, the current system favours those who can plan far ahead and the least minute people (like us) but is not so good for the 2 week - 3 month planners

I agree, but some on here want the rules changing to suit their booking preference, without considering that other members have different preferences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeadFarmer said:

I agree, but some on here want the rules changing to suit their booking preference, without considering that other members have different preferences.

True.

But I sympathize to a point. If you could (I don't know if deposits would do this) remove the ability to multi book months in advance it wouldn't be like you'd be stopping those people using the sites, you would just be levelling the playing field a little (though it might hurt the last minute people like me).

I'm not too bothered either way. I'll use a club site if I have to but it's nearly always because friends and family are there and no other reason. 

Im not entirely sure that there are lots of folk block booking every weekend of the year, then not turning up, I think its more a case of families having extremely busy lives and finding out just days before they are due to arrive that they genuinely can't make it for some unavoidable reason.

Perhaps the retired members or members without young families are more able to commit to the bookings they make?

Edited by LeadFarmer

The people who have all the booking stats and therefore the evidence are not going to be forthcoming with it to us plebs, sometimes or previously known as members.

If the stats shows a serious decline in the metaphorical "bums on seats" during high season the Club will either decline to comment or spin the change in procedures before the decline in revenue as a win win for all parties. That's what Marketing is all about.

I understand it the cc's DG is a member of a marketing Association to whom he gives talks on marketing. I wonder if  the Club is used as a case study for the talks' source?

The Club appears to have a marketing arrangement with a major UK manufacturer which, in my opinion, hardly makes it an independent party.

• Like 2

On 23/08/2019 at 13:21, ReggiePerrin said:

The C&CC certainly require a deposit on booking but exactly as with the Caravan Club, I have only ever paid in full on arrival and I have never been directed to an allocated pitch.  

Then your experience of C&CC of pitch allocation is the opposite of mine.  I have always been allocated a pitch, no choice being offered and normally been shown to the pitch.  I have often been in offered help in positioning the caravan.

We let our CCC membership lapse several years ago, our kids all flew the nest and we holidayed abroad each year, our van in storage and no desire to travel weekends. Lately we’ve used the van, and what hit me was the number of sites that were not full especially in July/August, we recall most of these sites full to bursting several years past, I have to say the sites we’ve recently visited have been well maintained clean and friendly, but the clubhouses were not as full as I remember. 

31 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

Then your experience of C&CC of pitch allocation is the opposite of mine.  I have always been allocated a pitch, no choice being offered and normally been shown to the pitch.  I have often been in offered help in positioning the caravan.

The only site I recall ever being offered help with getting the caravan on a pitch was at Rutland Caravan and Camping (Caravan Club Affiliated).  

The pitch we had been allocated was somewhat small and triangular.  We unhitched but given the pitch size,  we then decided we’d like to be on a more conventionally shaped and sized pitch.  Our request was immediately agreed to and the warden kindly offered to tow the van to the new pitch with his little tractor for us.

The last two C&CC sites, Ravenglass last Christmas and Derwentwater in June both the same as the Caravan Club... 'choose your pitch and pop back and let us know later'.     Perhaps exceptionally large or very small rigs may have particular pitches allocated though.  

We are increasingly using small to medium sized non club sites but even on those we are finding pre-allocated pitches are less common these days.  

Not surprised they are empty.

Worn out, out of the way, in the main a poor selection of areas at marked up prices.

1 hour ago, Tinwheeler said:

Worn out, out of the way, in the main a poor selection of areas at marked up prices.

Tinwheeler, assuming you’re talking about CMC club-sites, can you give some examples of those that are “worn out” and “out of the way”, and what do you mean by “a poor selection of areas’ ??

John

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tinwheeler said:

New to caravanning perhaps or new to CMC ?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, b4bill said:

New to caravanning perhaps or new to CMC ?

I think the problem is as we have found. What do the two main clubs offer for a young family?

Answer nothing.

The place we took our main holiday this year in France, no further drive than West Cornwall save the ferry and has the following included in the price:

Very good pool complex with indoor, outdoor pools and flumes, lazy river and kids splash area.

Kids club 4-12 years

Disco weekday eves

A decent playground

Multi sports pitch

Soft play zone

Table tennis and volley ball pitched

At small cost zip wire Go Ape type thing

Horse riding from 10 euros

On site bar, restaurant, shop and snack bar and evening entertainment if that is your thing.

The pitch is fully serviced.

The cost per night is no more than the club's charge at the same time of year.

What first made me look overseas was how much two weeks in the UK on a club site would cost. When I priced up a similar French trip it was little more.

The benefit of an activity site is that I don't have to go off site to keep the kids occupied keeping spending money down. Therefore reducing overall cost of days out.

I've yet to find anything like this in the UK and until there is I think the UK will soon start to loose the next generation of caravan and campers as they will go abroad at similar cost of head to eurocamp.

I don't mind the club sites for shorter breaks where we are visiting an area specifically but for my main holiday, we need things for the kids to do. 

On 23/08/2019 at 17:08, Legal Eagle said:

Providing the spacing between units is correct it shouldn't be a problem.

I've often wondered if the "marker indicators" could be "booby trapped.  Maybe made to explode if anyone tries to make the  marker fit the van.  Just a gentle explosion of course - but enough for all the neighbours to rustle their curtains and "tut tut".   Maybe a few would pop out for a closer look under the pretence of taking the dog for a walk. 

I'd be surprised if various conclusions were not drawn regarding the "type of person" causing the incident.  Of course, at least the culprits turned up so that's a massive positive and eliminates one despicable group at a stroke!   (Oh providing it's a weekend of course!) 

23 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

I think the problem is as we have found. What do the two main clubs offer for a young family?

Answer nothing.

The place we took our main holiday this year in France, no further drive than West Cornwall save the ferry and has the following included in the price:

Very good pool complex with indoor, outdoor pools and flumes, lazy river and kids splash area.

Kids club 4-12 years

Disco weekday eves

A decent playground

Multi sports pitch

Soft play zone

Table tennis and volley ball pitched

At small cost zip wire Go Ape type thing

Horse riding from 10 euros

On site bar, restaurant, shop and snack bar and evening entertainment if that is your thing.

The pitch is fully serviced.

The cost per night is no more than the club's charge at the same time of year.

What first made me look overseas was how much two weeks in the UK on a club site would cost. When I priced up a similar French trip it was little more.

The benefit of an activity site is that I don't have to go off site to keep the kids occupied keeping spending money down. Therefore reducing overall cost of days out.

I've yet to find anything like this in the UK and until there is I think the UK will soon start to loose the next generation of caravan and campers as they will go abroad at similar cost of head to eurocamp.

I don't mind the club sites for shorter breaks where we are visiting an area specifically but for my main holiday, we need things for the kids to do. 

+1

Where is you go to Jiffy, we fancy something slightly different in France next year to the usual regions.

16 minutes ago, Squash said:

I've often wondered if the "marker indicators" could be "booby trapped.  Maybe made to explode if anyone tries to make the  marker fit the van.  Just a gentle explosion of course - but enough for all the neighbours to rustle their curtains and "tut tut".   Maybe a few would pop out for a closer look under the pretence of taking the dog for a walk. 

I'd be surprised if various conclusions were not drawn regarding the "type of person" causing the incident.  Of course, at least the culprits turned up so that's a massive positive and eliminates one despicable group at a stroke!   (Oh providing it's a weekend of course!) 

Only one big weakness with that, there are too-many anally retentive members who take great pride in getting only a cigarette paper between themselves and the post; only the slightest slip of the motor mover and the embarrassment would be too much to bare

2 hours ago, Tinwheeler said:

have you seen the prices for next year? some of our favourite sites have increased by £1.50 & £1.70 a night plus they have taken out some dates for the  midweek 50% off so that also increases the night price and of course we also pay the club fees of £52 . We are  looking elsewhere, they are asking silly prices now. 

32 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

+1

Where is you go to Jiffy, we fancy something slightly different in France next year to the usual regions.

Only one big weakness with that, there are too-many anally retentive members who take great pride in getting only a cigarette paper between themselves and the post; only the slightest slip of the motor mover and the embarrassment would be too much to bare

Frank.

May half term every other year (next year dates should align)  Camping De Paal in the Netherlands. 4 hours from Calais. They do a deal called week in June, which when Easter is early will include May half term. Fully serviced pitch and full use of facilities €175 for a week and €15 for an additional person. Book direct 

Sites in France that we like:

Domains De La Breche in the Loir Valley

Le Grand Large in Le Pieu, half hour from Cherbourg. ( This was our first French adventure, not much other than the pool but wonderful sunsets over the channel Islands)

Mane Gurenhue in South Brittany.

All booked via the club to get a good deal on the ferries.

Brilliant, thanks, Mane Gurenhue is one that I keep looking at but never sure about Southern Brittany weather in the holidays

Probably book ferry and one site via the club next year

How much is a ferry crossing with a caravan?

Asking for an actual friend!

9 hours ago, Tinwheeler said:

How much is a ferry crossing with a caravan?

Asking for an actual friend!

From where to where and when?

Tell your friend to go online to get an actual quote.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tinwheeler said:

Not sure about being worn out, but many of definitely out of the way and definitely over the top marked up prices plus peak periods now being a lot more and longer.

59 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Not sure about being worn out, but many of definitely out of the way and definitely over the top marked up prices plus peak periods now being a lot more and longer.

I don’t understand these complaints about sites being ‘out of the way’ ... isn’t that the reason that the majority of us go caravanning - to get away from it all ??

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1