Jump to content
PR1

Empty Caravan and Motorhome Club sites!

Recommended Posts

Well we are at Start Bay CMC site, and it is only half full! Very unusual for this time of year. We come here every August for three weeks, so know what it is usually like!

93 pitches and tomorrow there are 46 empty ones.

Looked at late availability on the CMC website and it looks the same for many of their sites!

Just spoken with one of the wardens, who said it is the same on many of the club sites!

Makes you wonder if people are voting with their feet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather has been pretty unpredictable!:angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PR1 said:

Well we are at Start Bay CMC site, and it is only half full! Very unusual for this time of year. We come here every August for three weeks, so know what it is usually like!

93 pitches and tomorrow there are 46 empty ones.

Looked at late availability on the CMC website and it looks the same for many of their sites!

Just spoken with one of the wardens, who said it is the same on many of the club sites!

Makes you wonder if people are voting with their feet!

I think the club sites were once very desirable to people when compared to whatever else was available. The club has slipped behind its competitors in recent years, and at the same time over estimated the value of the product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thirsk Racecourse is full...or appears so from the gates.

 

Geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Price is a major factor, more so with the CMC than CCC  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shipbroker said:

Thirsk Racecourse is full...or appears so from the gates.

Deceptive then as there's 8 unoccupied on Friday, 1 on Saturday then 26 on Monday and at least two tonight (with/without awning are available).

 

I'm guessing the weather has made a lot cancel planned trips at fairly short notice?  You can even get into Chatsworth this weekend! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Deceptive then as there's 8 unoccupied on Friday, 1 on Saturday then 26 on Monday and at least two tonight (with/without awning are available).

 

Indeed...I wouldn't even know how to establish that information as I have not been on one of our sites,to stay, for at least 4 years...I am often on Thirsk site  seeing visitors though.

 

geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

I wouldn't even know how to establish that information as I have not been on one of our sites,to stay, for at least 4 years...I am often on Thirsk site  seeing visitors though.

 

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/uk-search-and-book/late-availability/ gives the weekend late availability pitch numbers

 and https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/ecommerce/uksites/booking/sbavailability?siteId=THI the Thirsk site. Today is now 'full' as they've closed online booking at nearly 1800.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent the last 5 weeks on two sites. Both a complete sell-out.

However, the first site, Bladon Chains, we were there just before the schools finished and they said they'd be quiet during the summer holidays because a) Prices go up big time and b) the kids want to be near the sea.

 

Black Knowl in the New Forest I imagine is still packed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

East Fleet Farm (a CMC affiliated site) had quite a few vacant pitches two/three weeks ago when we were there.  Sadly for us (constrained by school holidays) the "choice" sites are always showing as fully booked when we can use them!  The C&CC always seem to have availability though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some CMC sites  are more expensive than some ( ? Many) really nice privately owned sites. I guess people are shopping around for both quality and value.

nanamel

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PandR said:

We spent the last 5 weeks on two sites. Both a complete sell-out.

However, the first site, Bladon Chains, we were there just before the schools finished and they said they'd be quiet during the summer holidays because a) Prices go up big time and b) the kids want to be near the sea.

 

Black Knowl in the New Forest I imagine is still packed.

Black Knowl is showing 5 or more pitches available all weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i refuse to use them in summer holidays I think they are expensive

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's school holidays. None of the parents with children I know would ever take their kids to a CMC site for a summer holiday. What is there on site except a dog walk? I am not a bit surprised that there are vacancies. 

 

 Some parents can afford Center Parcs, some only have a tent, a lot were packed on the ferries with us earlier this month heading for better weather but none of them even own a Caravan. They say caravans are for old people - but the old people say  they would rather have a Motorhome and go somewhere else. CMC is getting left behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had an overnight stop at Malvern Hills last Sunday. I’d estimate around half the pitches were unoccupied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We often use the CMC sites but not at peak times as the prices are exorbitant.

They say they need to put up the prices over school holidays to make sure they get a good return on investment, We have now got to the stage where the prices are much higher than independent sites and where this is the case, you cannot blame people for voting with their feet. Some sites are well over £30 a night for 2 people which is a lot of money for a bit of electricity and a shower.

maybe it’s time the club revised their pricing structure?          Peter

  • Thanks 3
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, moorgate said:

It's school holidays. None of the parents with children I know would ever take their kids to a CMC site for a summer holiday. What is there on site except a dog walk? I am not a bit surprised that there are vacancies. 

 

It’s not about what is available on site to entertain the kids, if you want entertainment you go to Butlins or Centre Parks and pay through the nose for the privilege. It is about having the caravan at a location to use as a base from where you can venture out to get the entertainment or see attractions.

 

If you ventured on the the CMC network of sites ( and commercial ones) during school holidays you would see lots of families doing as described above.

 

Yes £35+ a night might seem expensive but compare that to the alternatives in the UK then it’s not so much. 

You can stay at Abbey wood in London and have a great base to see the capital’s attractions, Legoland  etc, you can’t get a Premier Inn in a similar location as the CMC site for less than £100 a night.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

We had an overnight stop at Malvern Hills last Sunday. I’d estimate around half the pitches were unoccupied.

I am not surprised. It has never been a greatly popular family area. 

Our caravan trips comprise of 3 tours of between 4 and 7 weeks plus a 15 night chill out in December over Christmas. We are away 120+ nights in the caravan. We don't tour through August but that is not so much due to cost as needing to sort out the garden etc and avoid the busiest times on some sites. At the times we travel using a mixture of sites the cc sites have not been as dear as many private sites. Probably averaged at £25 a night. 

 

When I had children we used to also tour moving on at least every 4 nights, We would often stay for 9 nights though at a particular site which was then non facility. Not for what the site offered, although it was pleasant enough, but for a nearby quiet beach with a long shallow area, good rock pools, good fishing and good sized prawns. We always used this site when tides were highest and therefore low tides lowest uncovering many more rocks to investigate. We occasionally stopped on sites with swim pools etc but sites where never a destination but a general location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Les Medes said:

I think Price is a major factor, more so with the CMC than CCC  

overcrowding I consider an issue as well

 

macafee2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Les Medes said:

I think Price is a major factor, more so with the CMC than CCC  

I have felt that CCC sites are dearer than CMC sites if it were not for age discount for us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

 

You can stay at Abbey wood in London and have a great base to see the capital’s attractions, Legoland  etc, you can’t get a Premier Inn in a similar location as the CMC site for less than £100 a night.

 

Yep, we're doing just that tomorrow. Four nights at Abbey Wood then down to Canterbury for four nights. A hotel for the three of us would have been around £150 a night. Using the caravan is cheaper, quieter, possibly more comfortable and a lot more flexible. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Caravan Finder last week and it was visiting a private site near Blackpool and the prices were around £40 in high season, but cannot remember the name to check what that included but I think dogs were extra.The CMC and cc&C sites look competitive in comparison as there was not that much more other than a clubhouse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, moorgate said:

but none of them even own a Caravan. They say caravans are for old people - but the old people say  they would rather have a Motorhome and go somewhere else. CMC is getting left behind

 

Plenty of caravans with kids out on our site in the Dordogne and on the ferry. A fair few motorhomes too and tent campers (who often have an over priced VW camper too, cos dey iz cool innit?)

 

I do agree though. Who wants to pay a fortune for a heated toilet block and maybe a playground? Some CMC sites are in great locations bit there's nearly always an even better CL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

 

Yes £35+ a night might seem expensive but compare that to the alternatives in the UK then it’s not so much. 

You can stay at Abbey wood in London and have a great base to see the capital’s attractions, Legoland  etc, you can’t get a Premier Inn in a similar location as the CMC site for less than £100 a night.

 

And we regularly stay at a CL in London, 20 mins walk to tube, for £14.00.  That includes 16 amp power.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Les Medes said:

I think Price is a major factor, more so with the CMC than CCC  

We were booked into Moreton in Marsh for 7 days over Christmas at around £300 for the 7 days.  We have now found a CL with water and waste hookup which is going to cost us £115 for the same period.  CMC have priced themselves out of the market as many commercial sites offer same or better facilities.

Edited by Durbanite
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...