Swift challenger 570 2009 battery problem

Ailsa

I have just bought a swift challenger 570 2009. I had my leisure battery transferred from my old van. I’ve had it on charge but the control panel shows the battery as only having 10.7 v and never seems to increase. Battery charging switch is on. I also turned the dial for heating on and it didn’t light up. Any advice? 

First thing is to check that there is a decent voltage at the battery to eliminate the possibility that it’s the battery that’s duff.

After that it’s a process of working along the wiring to check the voltage at each point you can. 

Might be worth just checking that the battery terminals are clean under the clamps holding the cable to the battery, especially if it was the dealer that stopped the battery across, dirty contact will cause the voltage to drop.

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

The battery was in my old van and was absolutely fine. The dealership transferred it for me so I assumed it was ok and working. It seems to have a charge but doesn’t increase past 10.7 v

I appreciate that, so clearly it’s probably not the battery, but I would STILL check the voltage at the battery and not rely on the meter in the caravan. It’s not unknown for batteries to just die, literally overnight,  with no warning. 

It could well be that the charger in your new caravan isnt working and the battery has been discharged to 10.7 V (which in 12v battery terms is totally flat so none of the 12v system will work) 

So....

You need to  disconnect the battery and see what voltage is present across the terminals (you will need a multimeter) 

Then re-connect the battery and switch the caravan charger on. The voltage reading should show an increase to around 14v. If it doesn’t then it would point to the inbuilt charger not working, at which point you need to contact the dealer as it’s clearly a warranty issue. Have you spoken to the dealer about this issue? They might be able to assist you. 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

The battery was in my old van and was absolutely fine. The dealership transferred it for me so I assumed it was ok and working. It seems to have a charge but doesn’t increase past 10.7 v

5 minutes ago, Ailsa said:

There are three possibilities.

1. The battery is flat. Probably not being charged

2. The battery is dead.

3 The meter is not accurate.

A process of elimination is called for.

A multimeter is the tool for the job. Need not cost more than a tenner.

Hi

As per the advice above bench charge the battery to a min of 12 dc

The control panel "shuts down " at about 10 volt

I asume you have Nord Elettronica control panel the battery charger and control panel have a known history of faults

Charge the van battery on a bench charger or borrow a fuly charged battery  re test if this fails there are companys that repair the control panels and sargent elec supply direct easy to replacement chargers

Dave

Have you checked the 20 amp fuse inside the caravan behind the battery box as if blown charger cannot charge the battery.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

30 minutes ago, birdman101 said:

Have you checked the 20 amp fuse inside the caravan behind the battery box as if blown charger cannot charge the battery.

Would be my first check too...it may be hidden under the box overhang as it was on my last two Swifts.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530