Sign in to follow this  
Adenough

Just stopping by

To say hello after a bit of lurking.  A long time since I've owned a caravan. Still on the fence about it to be honest. I last toured in 1988. Then I had four kids a 245 Volvo Estate and a 12 foot van. A bit cramped, but the kids, all grown up now say they loved it. Never knew at the time. Longest run was down to Malaga from Manchester and back. That 1977  Volvo never missed a beat and they say how reliable modern cars are.  Anyway. Looking forward to some conversation and my often inane queries answered.

Hi Adenough, :welcome:to the forum.

Come on, you know you want to really!It is still great fun out there despite all the negativity in the world :D

Get down to you local dealers for a chat - oh, and take your wallet!

Wonky

• +1 1

:welcome:Adenough,  1988 !  you've been lurking a long time,  you'll see some differences now , have you had a look around the dealers to see what the caravan of today have as essentials?  Are you thinking of taking up the 'hobby' again ? Good Luck to you if you are. 

My parents took me and the three kids all over France in the 1980s. A 14ft (wow!) van but also a Volvo 240 or Saab 900. 

We are in France now with our two kids and it turns out we are on a site which we stayed at back in the day. We've added about 4ft to the van length but are outside a lot of the time.

Give it a go again! The are loads of great vans for couples. Buy a mint pre owned example and you won't lose much money at all if it's not for you.

It's not a cheap hobby though, don't just look at the cost of the caravan, factor in insurance, servicing, storage, site fees, suitable towcar, camping paraphernalia etc etc but if you did it in the 80's you probably already know all that.

It's a great way to spend your money though, have fun!