Tow with gas connected?

Gavin Smith

Hi, I'm a bit of a beginner with caravanning and have a newbie question. This is our first year with the caravan and I've done a few trips. I have disconnected the gas completely with the spanner every time before leaving a site and reconnected when arriving on the next one and I'm just wondering if this is necessary? Is it okay to drive with it physically connected (but obviously switched off)? It's a small 4.5kg butane tank on an old 1990s Elddis caravan, if that makes any difference. It would be nice to just switch the gas on and off rather than disconnecting it altogether but obviously I want to be safe.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Can’t speak for anyone else, Gavin, but I just turn it off at the bottle. But I completely disconnect during the 3 winter months when the van’s laid up.

John

6 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Can’t speak for anyone else, Gavin, but I just turn it off at the bottle. But I completely disconnect during the 3 winter months when the van’s laid up.

John

genuine question, why?

macafee2

In the event of an accident the gas pipes/hoses can be damaged resulting, if the valve is open, in an uncontrolled release of gas. Worse still, if there is a bulkhead regulator the pigtail has been known to get torn off resulting in an uncontrolled release of liquid propane, nasty!

I always turn the gas off at the bottle when travelling,  but the bottle remains connected until it needs replacing .

John.

Edited by Leedslad

I shut the gas off at the cylinder but don't disconnect it although it's really easy with a 27mm plug-on connector - no spanners

3 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

Once my gas bottles in the locker it stays connected until it’s empty. 

+1

32 minutes ago, Gavin Smith said:

......I'll turn the gas off but leave it connected. That's one less thing to do!

Like others, I have always done this.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

45 minutes ago, Gavin Smith said:

Thanks everyone. I'll turn the gas off but leave it connected. That's one less thing to do!

I do now........well for last 30 plus years...but in early days of going to France and Spain used to run with fridge lit up to ferry, off then, relit and ran all the way to destination..........well we didn't have ex car ignition then and,in fact, still don't use that facility but rely on a full cold fridge to start journey.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Just turn the bottle off is all that is required.

6 hours ago, macafee2 said:

genuine question, why?

macafee2

If you’re asking why I disconnect in the winter - now I think about it I’m not really sure, it’s just something I started doing and now can’t break the habit. A bit like disconnecting the shower hose during the winter too.

Come to think of it I also turn off all the taps at the manifold, even though the gas isn’t connected!  I won’t do either this winter and we’ll see if anything bad happens 😁.

John

I once had a shower hose crack, at the tap connection, because I hadn't drained it properly so not so daft a thing to do. Nowadays, I use an Aquaflo so it's not a problem.

37 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

If you’re asking why I disconnect in the winter - now I think about it I’m not really sure, it’s just something I started doing and now can’t break the habit. A bit like disconnecting the shower hose during the winter too.

Come to think of it I also turn off all the taps at the manifold, even though the gas isn’t connected!  I won’t do either this winter and we’ll see if anything bad happens 😁.

John

thanks John. As for shower hose, that is always disconnected before travel so there is no risk of it falling and damaging the plastic shower sides and tray

macafee2 

17 hours ago, Gavin Smith said:

Hi, I'm a bit of a beginner with caravanning and have a newbie question. This is our first year with the caravan and I've done a few trips. I have disconnected the gas completely with the spanner every time before leaving a site and reconnected when arriving on the next one and I'm just wondering if this is necessary? Is it okay to drive with it physically connected (but obviously switched off)? It's a small 4.5kg butane tank on an old 1990s Elddis caravan, if that makes any difference. It would be nice to just switch the gas on and off rather than disconnecting it altogether but obviously I want to be safe.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Most but not all of the stainless pigtails have a rubber insert to provide the seal at the bottle end.  'Tis recommended to disconnect that when not in use, presumably to prevent distortion?  I disconnect as part of my leaving site procedure.

Edited by SamD

• 3 weeks later...

I only disconnect in the periods not being used then I drop the connector down to allow any oil to drain out but before connecting check any rubber seals can crack and leak like the hand wheel rubber cones  Got the t shirt myself .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

On 14/08/2019 at 22:47, Johnaldo said:

John

I don’t know why or from whence the idea came but it’s always been in my head that the gas manifolds were strictly only for use in isolating an appliance for maintenance (or failure / removal) of that appliance).

it certainly has a logic there in that once the cylinder is isolated, there is no gas to flow through the manifold.  Same with the bulkhead regulator ‘tap'.

In common with most, I confine myself to firmly closing the cylinder valve when the caravan is being towed.  It is only opened when on a pitch and in use.

If you have a Truma Crash Sensor fitted you can even leave the regulator open and gas appliances, such as the fridge or heating on, while towing.

16 minutes ago, Lutz said:

If you have a Truma Crash Sensor fitted you can even leave the regulator open and gas appliances, such as the fridge or heating on, while towing.

Okay if the fridge as mine inhibits using the LPG burner for 15 minutes if you switch off the engine, to address ignition sources in fuelling stations.

Not aware of this provision in our Alde heating system, or other heating water boilers etc we have had where the vehicle refuelling risks would be the same?

We had the Truma Crash Sensor type regulator on our Adria Coral Compact when we purchased it brand new in 2008. I couldn't see the sense in running the heating on gas whilst driving as the cab heater provided enough warmth for the whole of a relatively small van. As it happens the regulator fell foul of the Truma gungeing issue about a month after collection and as were were several hundred miles from the dealer we bought from and it was 8pm on a Friday, there was little we could do. The next morning I visited a nearby caravan dealer but they only had the non-sensor type, so we swapped out the sensor type and I never had a chance to try iy out in motion. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.