Sign in to follow this  
Mdarks1d3

Remove hitch

I am looking at getting my first ever caravan. I need one that can fit on my drive without hanging over the footpath to much. I have found one I really like for sale, Sterling Europa 540 2007, but it's slightly too long for my drive. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the hitch or even just part of to reduce the overall length on the caravan slightly? 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mdarks1d3 said:

I am looking at getting my first ever caravan. I need one that can fit on my drive without hanging over the footpath to much. I have found one I really like for sale, Sterling Europa 540 2007, but it's slightly too long for my drive. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the hitch or even just part of to reduce the overall length on the caravan slightly? 

How long exactly is too long?

I assume the caravan wouldn’t fit the other way round? By that I mean, sometimes the hitch will go past obstructions near the house that the back end won’t.

I have a garage that accommodates my caravan except it’s 3” to short. So I created a blister in the door ( the wife calls it a codpiece) to accept the hitch length.    My brother in law seeing this, and having the same problem as you, created a mini extra and removable wooden fence panel (with codpiece)  to do across his drive end as it protrudes 3-4” over the pavement.

Edited by ericfield

Its certainly possible to remove the hitch - just 2 bolts, but this would only gain a a few inches, and also prevent a hitchlock being fitted, which may be an insurance co requirement.

IMHO its better to keep the van in storage which is more secure and avoid potential issues with neighbours, not all of whom will be caravan fans.

In addition, as has been said before, if it's on your drive it's very clear to everyone when you are away....