EURO HEADLIGHT DEFLECTORS

william john

Hi, I am off to France next month. I tow with a 2012 Freelander 2 which does not have the later option of altering the dipped beam for abroad. I have bought the AA approved pear drop shaped stick on deflectors but unsure exactly where they go on the headlight in front of the dipped beam. Instruction leaflet a bit vague. Do I fit the whole sticker or just the round section. Any help appreciated. 

Is there no idiots guide inside listing all makes and models? I buy the Eurolights ones on the Ferry or at the Petrol station just as I get off the tunnel when I visit the UK. I have to cut bits off for my Shogun lights.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

As I understand it, it is not a legal requirement to have beam deflectors stuck on as such. 

It’s a legal requirement not to dazzle on-coming traffic with your lights. So if you don’t go out at night or in heavy rain...you won’t have a need for the lights to be on.  

But heres a video that might help...

Been driving all over Europe in a whole host of vehicles for more years than I care to remember and have never fitted beam deflectors, have had the joys of interaction!!! With a variety of European plod for a variety of reasons and never once have I been picked up over lights, in fact last time I had a discussion with said European plod (2 months ago in Germany, speeding!!) he seemed more concerned that I didn’t have a GB sticker although have got Euro plates fitted.

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

While you may not plan to drive at night or in adverse conditions where headlights would be required, in my opinion it would be foolish not to be prepared for this, thus I have always fitted adaptors, even if only going for a day trip.

Some of our cars have had the option to choose left or right dip at the flick of a lever or switch, while others have needed a mask or adaptor to be fitted.

With the latter, as I tend to travel abroad frequently, I have fitted the deflectors or masks to a headlamp stone guard, so allowing quick and easy fitment and removal at the dockside. 

Below are two examples for the Jeep and a Kia

image.png

image.png 

Switchable dip direction is not a new idea as we even had this option on our old 1973 Renault 6TL

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Similar thread on the go to which I replied:

There does seem to be some general confusion re. dipped headlights.  Generally in the past I have used stickers, or even black tape, some cars have adjustment levers under the bonnet, on on my Mitsubishi Outlander with LEDs dipped headlights the owners manual says: 

When entering a country in which vehicles are driven on the opposite side of the road to the country in which your vehicles is supplied, necessary measures have to be taken to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. However, headlamps on this vehicle do not need any adjustment.

A Sticker would be impossible any way as there are two dipped LED element on either side.  I think it depends up on how the beam dips, i.e asymmetrical (a beam kick up on the left) or flat.  You rarely see a car from Europe with sticker as I believe they dip flat.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

1 hour ago, Jacko1 said:

Been driving all over Europe in a whole host of vehicles for more years than I care to remember and have never fitted beam deflectors, have had the joys of interaction!!! With a variety of European plod for a variety of reasons and never once have I been picked up over lights, in fact last time I had a discussion with said European plod (2 months ago in Germany, speeding!!) he seemed more concerned that I didn’t have a GB sticker although have got Euro plates fitted.

Me too.  And you can bet your bottom dollar that even if they were stuck on roughly, no gendarme is going to bother to establish whether they are in the right place.  The first time I went to France I did fit them.....in  the wrong position, so would have been ineffective. I didn’t know till I took them off at home....and reread the instructions. 😆 

I too have always fitted adaptors and even had a set of yellow H3 headlamp bulbs for French travel. My concern has always been that I might have to have a conversation with a 'Flic' while trying to get to a ferry on time.

I don't like Eurolites because they cut out some of the light from the headlights that could potentially show a hazard. Eurolites, in common with sticky tape and other opaque devices, should be referred to as masks rather than deflectors.

My preference is for the RAC deflectors which have a Fresnel lens to deflect the light to straight ahead. link

I once took a car for MoT with RAC deflectors fitted and the tester said he couldn't detect any kick-up light on his headlamp alignment machine. The best bit for me is that the RAC deflectors use a separate adhesive spot which stays on the headlamp for a year or three. The spot is used to line up the deflector so you can be sure they always go in the same position.

Gordon's post reminded me that my own Renault 4 (much less posh than a Renault 6 but with the same headlights) also had levers for continental driving.

hawkaye :beardy:

Our Hyundai has the ability to switch the lights buried in the screen menu. It also pings and reminds you its been changed when you start it.

My Saab alledgedly has two changeover screws in the back of the lights, very hard to see. It has not been out of uk yet.

They had the Eurolight converters in Wilko for a much lower price than ferry ports or Halfords!

Got a spare set in our car somewhere.

Bought for last Sorento but not needed on Hyundai.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

I have had a couple of cars now that have had factory fitted from new HID headlights.  They “self adjust” (unlike non HID headlights) to how heavily the vehicle is loaded so are always correctly “aimed” and are never pointing skywards. I have never fitted any form of deflector/beam bender for my foreign trips. 

I do probably close on 5K Miles  a year in France, often at night, and I have NEVER been “flashed” by a driver coming the other way. The beam pattern on my car does have a segment that extends to the left but it doesn’t “kick up” it just extends further forwards, so doesn’t cause any dazzle.  I did ask a pal (another ex traffic cop) to drive the other way to me on a French road at night to check, first off with a set of Eurolites, and then without anything, he reported no discernible difference. 

There is no legal requirement to fit any form of adaptors, what IS required is that your vehicle lights do not cause dazzle. 

Andy 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Deflectors must not be fitted to vehicles fitted with LED, xenon or other high energy discharge headlamps as reflections from the inside of the deflector may be so powerful that scattered stray light can actually cause dazzle, thus defeating the whole object of the deflector. Therefore, always follow the recommendations of the car manufacturer.

save your time and money and dont bother, i never had and do a lot of miles on the continent without any problems

2 hours ago, tom_1989 said:

save your time and money and dont bother,

I agree!   I go for four months every year and although there's a set of Eurolites somewhere in the car, I've never fitted them.      For the little bit of driving I do after dark, I just roll down the beam using the wheel below the dash board.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Since driving a motorhome, six years now I have not used beam deflectors. Motorhomes in most cases are a bit nose down anyway so you down get the caravan on the back factor to take into account. What I do is lower the beam to its lowest settings and this seems not to cause any bother to other road users. In 2016 we did an extensive tour of Austria when we used many tunnels including the Arlberg Tunnel which is 14 kilometres long and two way. It was a good test as I could see the headlights on the tunnel floor. Didn't have any reactions from oncoming traffic. 

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

On 14/08/2019 at 14:54, Mr Plodd said:

There is no legal requirement to fit any form of adaptors, what IS required is that your vehicle lights do not cause dazzle. 

You're absolutely right Andy and I think a lot of the advice stems from the days when the only way to adjust headlamps was to open the bonnet and make a permanent change to their alignment. These days with self levelling suspension self adjusting headlamp beam, or height adjustment from the driving seat, there are perhaps better ways to avoid dazzling other drivers.

One thing that has always puzzled me is why car headlamps dip to one side anyway. There is sufficient side scatter to illuminate the kerb with vertical dipping headlamps as we have on our motorhome (based on a commercial vehicle) and you don't see headlamp masks or deflectors fitted to trucks because their lamps are designed for use on either side of the road.

Although some cars now have a single lamp directed at the kerb that illuminates when the steering wheel is turned, I am not generally in favour of this. Citroen I believe had the right idea with the DS when they fitted swivelling supplementary lamps that remained illuminated all the time but when cornering pointed in the direction of travel.

I remember well when the French insisted on "glow worm illumination" we used to fit fresnel lens covers over the headlamps. These not only redirected the left dip light to the right but also added the yellow colour so loved at the time in France. The big disadvantage, apart from the low light level and colour change of road signage, was that main beam was rendered unusable, as the headlamp deflection was also applied to main beam - great at illuminating the tree tops on your right, but absolutely useless for seeing the road ahead. 

Headlamp Deflectors - vintage clip over.jpg

Although I did fit yellow headlamps in the early days, I moved over to using headlamp masks to minimise dazzle. I actually quite liked driving with yellow headlamps in France and used to mutter to myself when the occasional car approached with white lights as that spoilt my "night vision". 

Yellow headlamp bulbs.jpg

Thankfully the French eventually saw the light (no pun intended) and white headlamps are now the norm but I still fit masks when driving abroad.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

12 hours ago, klyne said:

Since driving a motorhome, six years now I have not used beam deflectors. Motorhomes in most cases are a bit nose down anyway so you down get the caravan on the back factor to take into account. What I do is lower the beam to its lowest settings and this seems not to cause any bother to other road users. In 2016 we did an extensive tour of Austria when we used many tunnels including the Arlberg Tunnel which is 14 kilometres long and two way. It was a good test as I could see the headlights on the tunnel floor. Didn't have any reactions from oncoming traffic. 

David

I normally buy and fit deflectors to my cars when I visit the UK because on the odd occasion when I haven't I've had loads of people flashing me at night because they thought I had main beam on.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

3 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Citroen I believe had the right idea with the DS when they fitted swivelling supplementary lamps that remained illuminated all the time but when cornering pointed in the direction of travel.

Post-1968 DS cars had the main beam headlights connected to each other and to the steering . When main beam was on you had swivelling lights. It was as simple as that and highly effective on dark country roads.

Fitted with rock-hard Michelin XAS tyres, on this nose-heavy front-wheel-drive car the direction of travel didn't always relate to the angle of the steering wheel!

hawkaye :beardy:

1 hour ago, hawkaye said:

Post-1968 DS cars had the main beam headlights connected to each other and to the steering .

My previous Citroen was a Mk2 C5 Exclusive Estate which had self-leveling HID headlamps.   They also swivelled right or left with the steering.   My present X7 settles for corner lighting which operates when the steering is on either lock.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com