Sign in to follow this  
Rselbo

Satelite TV

Hi, I always have problems tuning in TVs so it must be me, I have a swift Eccles 635 and the main TV has 2 sockets one for satellite and a TV aerial, the bedroom just the one aerial socket, I can get digital TV on the main TV but not satellite and the bedroom I get nothing. In the bedroom because I don't have a satellite socket I assume I should only get digital TV am I correct? and what am I doing wrong on the main TV where I should get both digital and satellite TV? Hope someone has some genius tactic for me :) 

Are you using a satellite dish? Obvious question, but it must be asked.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The Status aerial will feed both the UHF TV point sockets with DVB-T/T2 (terrestrial) signals aka Freeview, provided it has been connected up correctly.

The aerial will need raising up, pointing to the transmitter and sometimes canting over to vertical.  Plus the set will need tuning to the transmitter.

The satellite socket will probably be connected to nothing. The other end of the cable from it likely appears as a socket in the battery box and is designed for a satellite dish/lnb to be attached.  It can (with plug/socket adapters) be used to connect up to a site bollard in very poor reception areas to provide 'Freeview signals' into the caravan.  To get satellite you will need a satellite dish, mount, LNB and cable (assuming one TV has a satellite tuner in it).

Edited by Rodders53
clarification
  • Like 1

Have a look in your handbook at page 119/120 for an explanation of how the satellite points work. Also if you are unsure about the main tv point have a look at the link to Visionplus on page 120 https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/264/original/2018-Swift-Tourer-Handbook-web.pdf?1515599820

If you are having difficulty in finding the best direction for pointing your roof aerial you may want to download an app such as Freepoint UK or similar which help you direct your aerial for best results

• Like 1

Now I'm not sure if I even have a satellite dish, its certainly not round like a house dish, more square, inside cupboard a small box with a blue light on and it says digital TV amplifier, so does this mean I should only get digital TV, sorry for appearing stupid, this is my first caravan :)

At the risk of stating the blindingly(?) obvious there is a clue in the term “Satellite TV” It is transmitted from a satellite and you need a satellite dish in order to receive it.

No satellite dish = no satellite TV. 

Andy

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • +1 1

14 minutes ago, pfr said:

Have a look in your handbook at page 119/120 for an explanation of how the satellite points work. Also if you are unsure about the main tv point have a look at the link to Visionplus on page 120 https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/264/original/2018-Swift-Tourer-Handbook-web.pdf?1515599820

If you are having difficulty in finding the best direction for pointing your roof aerial you may want to download an app such as Freepoint UK or similar which help you direct your aerial for best results

Hi, can't seem to find app called Freepoint UK it brings up TV catchup shows, is that the correct name :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

At the risk of stating the blindingly(?) obvious there is a clue in the term “Satellite TV” It is transmitted from a satellite and you need a satellite dish in order to receive it.

No satellite dish = no satellite TV. 

Andy

I just thought the dish was a different look for caravans :)

3 minutes ago, Rselbo said:

Now I'm not sure if I even have a satellite dish, its certainly not round like a house dish, more square, inside cupboard a small box with a blue light on and it says digital TV amplifier, so does this mean I should only get digital TV, sorry for appearing stupid, this is my first caravan :)

The box is the amplifier for your roof aerial signal only. Make sure it is switched on when you are using TV. You do not have a satellite so have a look at the handbook references above for help in understanding what does what.

If you want to find the apps mentioned go to Play Store and search for caravan tv signal finder and you will see quite a few to try out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

:welcome:Rselbo, no such thing as a silly question.  Rodders has given you a good answer.  2 sockets, one for TV, that's the one that's wired to the aerial on the roof. The box in the cupboard is the aerial amplifier and it has to be switched on, hence the blue light.  The aerial on the roof has to be lifted and turned to get a good signal and put either vertical or horizontal.  When you get to a new site, the TV  set has to be tuned in each time. 

Socket 2 is for satellite TV which requires a dish, box top etc.  We use a twin tuner on our sat TV so my OH has changed the fitting so that we can plug in the bollard TV and the socket for that you will find in the battery box normally which is then wired to the 2nd socket.  I hope this makes sense, but if I have got  anything wrong then some expert will be along soon :)

Edited by joanie
  • Like 1

You need a dish on a tripod pointed at a satellite and then a box between the dish and the caravan.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WispMan said:

You need a dish on a tripod pointed at a satellite and then a box between the dish and the caravan.

I have a Maxview Precision tripod and dish.  Not cheap but really easy to set up. Google it for videos etc.

Posted (edited)

Do you use a satellite system at home (Sky or Freesat)?  If so, then you already have most of the kit you will need and can take it with you. If not, then you will need to purchase the items that you don’t already have.

Basically, you will need a satellite dish (preferably not steel) complete with LNB, and a Tripod upon which to mount it.  The size of the required dish depends very much on just where you plan to use it.  Across the channel and into France, the further south you go, the bigger the dish you will need! 

A Freesat or Sky receiver,  (I prefer Freesat).

Approximately 25m length of good quality single signal cable, or twin core, (shotgun cable) if you plan to use a receiver/recorder).

Last, but not least of course, you will need a TV of your choice.

Those are the basic items required for satellite TV.

But that’s just the easy bit, the difficult bit is setting up and aiming the dish accurately enough to receive the Astra 2 (Freesat or Sky) signal located at 28.2° east of south. To achieve that, you will also need to purchase a Signal finder and a cheap compass.

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc
Afterthought.
  • Like 1

A Freesat or Sky receiver,  (I prefer Freesat).

Approximately 25m length of good quality single signal cable, or twin core, (shotgun cable) if you plan to use a receiver/recorder).

Last, but not least of course, you will need a TV of your choice.

Those are the basic items required for satellite TV.

But that’s just the easy bit, the difficult bit is setting up and aiming the dish accurately enough to receive the Astra 2 (Freesat or Sky) signal located at 28.2° east of south. To achieve that, you will also need to purchase a Signal finder and a cheap compass.

OP says his TV has a satellite socket so shouldn't need  a separate decoder to get Freesat.

Re setting up - that's why I suggest the Maxview system  which has finder built in , but you're right about the compass. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

OP says his TV has a satellite socket so shouldn't need  a separate decoder to get Freesat.

Not entirely sure that the OP does have a TV with a Freesat tuner built in...  the post is perhaps a little vague

20 hours ago, Rselbo said:

and what am I doing wrong on the main TV where I should get both digital and satellite TV?

I get the idea that the very presence of an F connector socket gives the OP the idea that satellite TV is somehow available just by connecting to the socket in the caravan.  

19 hours ago, Rselbo said:

You need a dish, either roof mounted or more commonly with caravans, on a tripod beside the caravan (with a clear view of the sky to the southeast (roughly) of your location).  You need a satellite tuner if your tv does not have Freesat built in alongside the more common (terrestrial) Freeview.  You can use any of these:

• a free to air tuner*
  • a Freesat Tuner 
  • a Skybox with your Sky viewing card or a one off purchase of a Freesat From Sky viewing card

A flylead to connect the tuner to the tv and a length of Coax cable terminated in appropriate F connectors to connect the dish to the the outside satellite socket or directly to the tuner.

*Some Free to Air boxes come with Easyfind and a matching LNB on the dish to make dish alignment easy otherwise a satfinder and optionally, a compass will be required.

• Like 1

Hi Rselbo,

Yep agree with everything said above (except Vin, what's wrong with a steel dish? Our value kits come with 60cm steel dishes with great reviews).

The benefit of satellite over terrestrial (through an aerial) is that you are guaranteed a signal wherever you are as long as you have a clear line of sight to the satellite without buildings or trees in the way.

If you are viewing two TV's and you don't want to share the signal (watching the same channel on both) then a great solution is a Satgear satellite kit with a twin LNB. There are both premium and value options on our website:

Have a look here:

https://www.satgear.co.uk/portable-satellite-kits/value-kits/satgear-beam60-standard-portable-60cm-zone-2-satellite-dish-kit-with-options-for-receiver-satfinder-and-single-twin-lnb

and here:

https://www.satgear.co.uk/portable-satellite-kits/premium-kits/vuesat-twinbeam-premium-portable-flat-panel-satellite-dish-kit-designed-for-use-with-your-own-sky-or-humax-receiver

Those kits assume that you have a satellite tuner built into your TV's but if not, then you'll need a couple of satellite receivers as well such as this one which comes preset ready to go with all UK channels on Freesat: 

https://www.satgear.co.uk/satellite-receivers-for-home-and-caravan/comag-hd200seuk-12v-240v-camping-satellite-receiver-ready-to-go-with-all-freesat-channels-pre-installed

Feel free to give us a call on 01428 404401 we are happy to help. we are based in Midhurst and a visit is always welcome, just let us know you are coming first :)

Happy holidays, Darren

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Satgear said:

Hi Rselbo,

Yep agree with everything said above (except Vin, what's wrong with a steel dish? Our value kits come with 60cm steel dishes with great reviews).

If you were to Google “The art of aiming a satellite dish” you should find an article written by me for

a UK campsite forum.

In that article I describe and show pictures of a couple of “Gismo’s” devised by myself which enable the user to set both the dish Elevation and Azimuth very quickly and accurately without even having to switch on the TV.

The Azimuth device enables a marine type compass to be mounted on the dish which obviously would be seriously affected by a dish made from ferrous metal such as steel.

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc
typo

I just use my phone!  It has a compass and I downloaded an app for the vertical angle.  Simples.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice, after discovering it was not a satellite dish I managed to get main TV working, now just struggling with bedroom one, I'm sure I will get there. cheers all :)

Hi Vin, trying to not hijack this thread so keeping my answer short,  I just read your article, an interesting read with lots of detail - although maybe  a little daunting for some newbies to satellite TV.  As we know, sat users want it to be a nice and simple setup experience (hence your article). From my perspective, we just need to know where east is and a steel dish (the material for the vast majority of sat dishes) won't cause a problem for a simple compass eg - smartphone app :)  Just sayin' ;)

I was certainly a bit concerned about setting up a manual satellite  system, but, once you have done it a couple of times it really is dead easy.

Rather than lashing out a fortune on an automatic system I cobbled one together using and old Sky dish (scrounged off a man in a Sky van) a new tripod (eBay)  a length of cable (Sky man again) a cheap compass and an even cheaper signal meter (£5 off eBay)  I reckon the total cost was about 35 quid. 

Work through the set up process slowly and carefully, once done a couple of times it only takes a few minutes, nothing to be frightened of.

Andy

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Satgear said:

Out of interest, this Comag tuner... is it a Freesat tuner (with the Freesat EPG and other features) or is simply a free to air satellite tuner that, like other FTA tuners, has a range of channels that include those available under the Freesat banner?

The Freesat project aims to provide a managed service with an Electronic Programme Guide and interactive features similar to the Freeview service launched three years earlier. Unlike Freeview, however, these features are only available on approved receivers manufactured under licence from Freesat.

Edited by ReggiePerrin
Spelling error corrected.

1 hour ago, kelper said:

I just use my phone!  It has a compass and I downloaded an app for the vertical angle.  Simples.

The dish has to be aimed within 1° vertically and laterally or you won’t get a signal.

If the phone isn’t mounted on the dish how can you possibly achieve the required accuracy?

Vin Blanc

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

The dish has to be aimed within 1° vertically and laterally or you won’t get a signal.

If the phone isn’t mounted on the dish how can you possibly achieve the required accuracy?

Vin Blanc

I must have a “magic” dish then because I don’t need to achieve anything like that accuracy! I reckon I have about 10° (Total)  latitude both vertically and horizontally. The signal strength drops off a bit but it’s still perfectly good enough, no breakup or pixelation. 

I use a mains powered Humax sat receiver.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

9 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

Good point... I use my little NewLine free to air tuner with EasyFind to align the dish - phone compass gives me the general direction - and then once aligned, I simply swap the NewLine Tuner out for my Freesat tuner.

I put the phone against a part of the dish that is lined up with the plane of reception.  It's a square dish so it might behave differently to a parabolic.  It certainly does not need to be within one degree.