patrkaro

Structural problems with a new Elddis - anyone else??

I've been unfortunate enough to find out this week that our 17 month old van has a major structural defect and has to be returned to Elddis, apparently there is a large bow in the roof, ingress of dampness,  all very disappointing!!

We bought it new and I would like to know has anyone experienced this and if so how did you get on with Elddis or indeed with any other manufacturer (that is, if the other manufacturers turn out faulty vans)

My concern is the van, will never be right and will be more of a problem in the future, hence it's not fit for purpose and they should replace it.

Any comments/HELP most welcome

Don't forget the dealer is the person to go for...not Elddis..which is obviously how you know that it needs to be returned to factory. The fact that it has already been accepted by Elddis is actually a plus point,believe it or not!

There are hundreds of comments in these pages on this and similar problems, most UK manufacturers I am afraid.

geoff

• Thanks 1

Agree with shipbroker.

If you have the Stargazer roof as we have on our Buccaneer they are noted for roof sag and water pooling around them. It does on ours and for that reason I store the van nose up. We have not had damp penetration however.

Interesting that the factory are having it back. I have not heard of that before and it will be important to know what they are proposing to do about it. If it's just take out and reseal the Stargazer then that's one thing but if this is to lead to other structural alterations then that would be important for owners to hear about.

Please keep us posted.

Good luck.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

Your purchase was with the dealer and it is up to them to liaise with manufacturer,if necessary. There are dozens of examples, I am sorry to say,within the CT Forums, of similar problems and I am sure that those with more experience and expertise will be along soon to quote chapter and verse on the legalities.

geoff

p.s. Have you read the Elddis section where you will find other examples?

Edited by shipbroker
  • Thanks 1

Geoff is right - the problem with your van is not with Elddis but with your supplying dealer. You can only deal direct with them.

• Thanks 1

This issue is right across the Elddis range of caravans and includes the Buccaneer range.  As pointed out the issue is with the supplier and not the manufacturer.  Seems the issue is only with the stargazer type skylight.  Fitting them was a step backwards.  BTW I got written confirmation from Elddis that the roof is strong enough to support extra weights like an air con and a satellite dome.

I think Lunar caravans have a similar issue with their star gazer plus on the Lunar you cannot fit an air con as the roof is too weak.

• Thanks 1