AlanNancy

The best saucepans to use in a caravan

Which are the best saucepans to use in a caravan? After several years use our's are worn out, the non stick doesn't work any more! 

Alan

42 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We have the Ingenio compact set and it works for us as does not take up much room.  See https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QK95WS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Snap except we only have a couple of them - don't have the need for full set.  Lightweight and easily stacked but worth using some sort of cloth or proper divider when stacking.

Got this set https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Ingenio-cookwear-pieces-black/dp/B01AHR5USC/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=Tefal+Ingenio&qid=1565695336&s=kitchen&sr=1-13 a couple of years ago. Mrs FG recommends them to anyone who'll listen. Non stick is lasting well and the storage is a real bonus when space is at a premium.

We use three spare ones from our home kitchen which had gone to back of cupboard.

Why would anything special be wanted in a caravan?

We looked at the Tefal Ingenio, but a number of reviewers seemed less than satisfied with them. In the end SWMBO bought a set from Dunelm, and even if they don't last, we could have 3 sets for the price of the Tefals.

41 minutes ago, David 38 said:

We use three spare ones from our home kitchen which had gone to back of cupboard.

Lightweight

Stackability - no permanent handles

Easy to clean

Good looking

Lightweight

No handles

Clean easy

Smart

Easy handling

Did I mention stackability?

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Before my partner moved in with me I bought a good stainless steel pan set as I also did a lot of cooking there and wanted decent pans. I also replaced the kitchen :) We use those pans ..... kitchen sink was sold with her house!

when we first started caravanning we bought a lovely set, but since they wore out I have used the 2 smaller saucepans from home and bought a new set for the house. We found that 2 saucepans are enough as  I tend to use the microwave a lot and I use plastic microwavable dishes in that. 

Posted (edited)

Another one for the Tefal ingenio for the reasons mentioned. They take up very little room so are easy to store in the van. We got them with a good discount through CMC but we didn't buy a full set. We also bought a non stick cast aluminium casserole pot from Amazon that was on offer.

We also replaced our cadac safari chef with a carri chef. It's well over the top as there's only 2 of us but I like that it's taller and I can use it at home.

Edited by johntog

We did use old pans from kitchen that no longer work since we fitted an induction hob, but now use induction hob in caravan, so pans need magnetic base.

The comment on handles makes a lot of sense, if handles remove, can also be used in oven, and since using gas in the main, easy to burn handles, although we take an induction hob with us, it depends on hook-up, so all pans need to work with gas, and since gas is so slow (compared with induction) thin light pans means faster reaction times, so really the pans used with induction not really any good with gas as too heavy.

So with electric we have always used heavy pans, the old halogen hob was switching off/on and the heavy pan evened out the heat, with gas always light pans, using a wok on electric simply does not work, and light pans often means cheap pans.

The Ingenio pans we bought are light, not cheap (far from it) and can be used with gas hobs and electric induction. They can also be used in the oven. It's the lining on the base that matters. Before I retired I was a kitchen fitter for thirty years and towards the end nearly all the hobs I fitted were induction. They really do heat water very quickly don't they. I keep thinking of getting one of the free standing ones available now for use in the awning.

John

1 hour ago, ericmark said:

using a wok on electric simply does not work

News to me. 

(My wok does have a flat base, though). 

I've used it on gas, and ceramic electric hobs - plus now on induction for the first time recently.

• +1 1

my wok has a flat base and I use it on electric in the 'van and use a similar one on gas at home, they may be tefal.

17 hours ago, David 38 said:

We have used a set of light weight no stick saucepans and kettle since we started caravaning. When I bought the kettle the salesman said "don't use this on the gas at home it's designed for camping/caravaning". I could of course use normal saucepans but  they would take longer to heat up and be heavier.  

Alan